• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What is Arte Moreno's goal for the Angels- on and off the field?

BTH

The reality is that Arte Moreno is 75 years old and he's not going to be the Angels owner forever.

Is he gonna just go for it eventually like Mike Ilitch (the Tigers previous owner) did? When the time eventually comes, who's taking over the team? His wife? One of his children? Will the family sell the team?

I haven't really seen anything about the long-term vision of the Angels. Arte's bought/is trying to buy the stadium lot, so does that suggest he wants to keep the team in his family's possession?

*Not trying to be insensitive or anything. I just don't understand what the long-term vision is for him*

All he cares about is splashes, not long term success.

Very weird when it comes to how he is as a baseball owner 

Even played Buttercup as a 7th inning song for years?

As the Braves mgr says about Babe Ruth in The Babe:  He’s goofy!

Might as well be Disney.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

He likes people to fill up the stadium and be entertained. Finishing with 80-90 losses seems to be no big deal. I don't recall him ever raising a ruckus about it. 

I don’t think this is entirely true FS79.  I think it IS a big deal to him.  I really do.  He’s mentioned it in the past.  Now, he’s hearing it from Trout (again), Maddon, and now Shohei, that losing sucks.  He’s not a stupid man.  A stubborn ass?  Probably, but that’s why you should be surrounding yourself with people who can help you overcome your stubborn and middling ways.

I surely hope he’s listening to his club manager and his two star players.  I believe he is, and we’ll see what he does about it.  

7 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

I don’t think this is entirely true FS79.  I think it IS a big deal to him.  I really do.  He’s mentioned it in the past.  Now, he’s hearing it from Trout (again), Maddon, and now Shohei, that losing sucks.  He’s not a stupid man.  A stubborn ass?  Probably, but that’s why you should be surrounding yourself with people who can help you overcome your stubborn and middling ways.

I surely hope he’s listening to his club manager and his two star players.  I believe he is, and we’ll see what he does about it.  

Definitely not Carpino and Kuhl, two likely longtime drinking buddies

Edited by Angel Oracle

Obviously just my opinion and not necessarily fact...

He 100% wants to win. His budget and involvement demonstrates that. 

However he also wants control, but doesn't know how to be an effective GM. 

Now with a window of Trout, Rendon, and Ohtani he'll hopefully empower Minasian with money and freedom to make the right moves. I also fear he forces signing someone like Seager/Baez/Story and getting pitching from the flea market again. 

Edited by Erstad Grit

10 hours ago, True Grich said:

Prior to last season, it was widely known that in order for Eppler to keeps his job, the Angels had to win. They did not and he lost his job.

So... please explain to me how the narrative about Arte not caring about winning has any merit?

Yeah totally agree. 

There are plenty of fair criticism one can have of Arte but budget and desire to win isn't one of them. He's paid multiple GMs at the same time because he felt it was best for the team. 

27 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Yeah totally agree. 

There are plenty of fair criticism one can have of Arte but budget and desire to win isn't one of them. He's paid multiple GMs at the same time because he felt it was best for the team. 

Never exceeded tax threshold though.

Like it’s a matter of principle with him?

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Never exceeded tax threshold though.

Like it’s a matter of principle with him?

I think it is a matter of principle, but in the context of where his teams were at in terms of legitimate championship contention, which they really haven't been for a loooong time.  My understanding is that he is a proponent of fiscal restraint in the owners meetings, however, we don't know if he will go over the top once the team establishes itself by getting deep into the playoffs.  I don't really blame him.  If I was an owner I wouldn't exceed the threshold just in hopes of making the playoffs.  It'd have to be a one year scenario of exceeding and the following year allow for the farm to replace traded or expiring contracts to get back under.  The compounding of the tax over successive years makes living in the tax zone foolhardy.  I believe the new proposed tax structure is going to carry on the penalties for successive years.

On 9/28/2021 at 11:22 AM, Junkballer said:

I think it is a matter of principle, but in the context of where his teams were at in terms of legitimate championship contention, which they really haven't been for a loooong time.  My understanding is that he is a proponent of fiscal restraint in the owners meetings, however, we don't know if he will go over the top once the team establishes itself by getting deep into the playoffs.  I don't really blame him.  If I was an owner I wouldn't exceed the threshold just in hopes of making the playoffs.  It'd have to be a one year scenario of exceeding and the following year allow for the farm to replace traded or expiring contracts to get back under.  The compounding of the tax over successive years makes living in the tax zone foolhardy.  I believe the new proposed tax structure is going to carry on the penalties for successive years.

Some points well taken.

As of now, if you go over for just two straight years, the money penalty isn’t that much and other penalties non-existent.   

My other concern is that he’s one of the hardliners who are forcing a strike to happen.   Being lumped with owners in Pittsburgh, Oakland, Tampa, Miami, etc. is no way to go through baseball life.

Edited by Angel Oracle

On 9/27/2021 at 10:22 PM, True Grich said:

Prior to last season, it was widely known that in order for Eppler to keeps his job, the Angels had to win. They did not and he lost his job.

So... please explain to me how the narrative about Arte not caring about winning has any merit?

He seems to value offense above pitching.

Here's the thing about net payroll. Having two $35 million position players doesn't mean you can deduct that excess from what you spend on the rest of the roster. If you do (and don't have any pre-arbs ready to step up) then you end up in the free agent bargain bin and we all know how that works. If you're not rolling out 25 legitimate major leaguers every night then you're just pissing in the wind. Figure out how to not suck before you try to figure out how to excel

8 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

He seems to value offense above pitching.

I don't think that's the case.  I think Arte  values a certain type of person.  

Nevermind that, though.

He gave a seven year deal to a position player. He balked at nine for a pitcher.  Makes sense to me.  Plus that pitcher wanted to go elsewhere.

Top starting pitchers don't hit the market as often.  Just look at the upcoming free agents this year.  There's more impact shortstops available than starting pitchers.

The Angels need to develop their own pitching.   That has been the biggest problem over the last several years.  I think they are on the right track now. 

Edited by ScottT