• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Race to oblivion ! Afghanistan vs. South Vietnam edition

Collapse !  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which pathetic puppet entity will collapse faster !?

• Afghanistan
    • South Vietnam (fell approximately 2 years after withdrawal of US forces)

It does appear that the possible conciliatory approach as far as the Hazara is the one that the Taliban took.  They swept into the area basically unchallenged.  There’s a reason for that.  I think it’s likely that there won’t be a lot of bloodshed.  May see some higher profile people deemed “collaborators” that didn’t flee get got but I suspect most of types have fled.  Remains to be seen how the Taliban deals with the isis elements in the country.  One presumes that they really don’t want to see the west come back in.  

20 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Our next president has things under control.

06114bc0c8f7c0bd66ac9fc4112ef62a78b307dc

Do you honestly think this would have ended any different with Trump? Answer honestly. 

I do laugh at their "optimism" thinking Afghanistan would be somewhat stable. I know it isn't in an office holder's nature to answer truthfully but at least say something along the lines of "we'll see how it plays out."

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Do you honestly think this would have ended any different with Trump? Answer honestly. 

I do laugh at their "optimism" thinking Afghanistan would be somewhat stable. I know it isn't in a office holder's nature to answer truthfully but at least say something along the lines of "we'll see how it plays out."

No, I don't think it makes much of a difference. The assumptions are flawed. "Nation building" is a fatal error. I think George Washington had it right when he warned against foreign entanglements. 

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I do laugh at their "optimism" thinking Afghanistan would be somewhat stable. I know it isn't in a office holder's nature to answer truthfully but at least say something along the lines of "we'll see how it plays out."

It’s honestly gone about as well as it could have gone.  It could have been far bloodier than it has been.  We’re finally out.  Good riddance.  Really not that bad considering the situation. 

The Washington Post: Afghanistan’s military collapse: Illicit deals and mass desertions
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/15/afghanistan-military-collapse-taliban/

When an Afghan police officer was asked about his force’s apparent lack of motivation, he explained that they haven’t been getting their salaries. Several Afghan police officers on the front lines in Kandahar before the city fell said they hadn’t been paid in six to nine months. Taliban payoffs have become ever more enticing.

9 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Meanwhile, Biden's on vacation.

Really. 

If he wasn't on vacation and was making some kind of public address I'm sure you'd still find something to criticize him about in regards to all of this. 

The US' involvement in Afghanistan epitomizes what's wrong with how our country or rather our elected officials have "tried to bring democracy" to some parts of the world.  It also shows why when we give money to parts of the Middle East, South and Central America, etc. those areas remain in the same shape because it doesn't go to the people it's supposed to help while those in power reap the benefits.  Unfortunately nothing will be learned from this and we'll go on wasting lives and money while making new enemies all in the name of "democracy."

5 minutes ago, St1ck said:

The Washington Post: Afghanistan’s military collapse: Illicit deals and mass desertions
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/15/afghanistan-military-collapse-taliban/

When an Afghan police officer was asked about his force’s apparent lack of motivation, he explained that they haven’t been getting their salaries. Several Afghan police officers on the front lines in Kandahar before the city fell said they hadn’t been paid in six to nine months. Taliban payoffs have become ever more enticing.

I sure hope that the bags of money President Ghani left behind get recovered.  Would be a real tragedy if some corrupt Afghan cabinet minister didn’t end up with it.