• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We need to get Jared Walsh to the All-Star Game

Chuck

I know you can't take into account last season, but from Sept 4th to today he's been a BEAST. Plus there wasn't an All-Star Game last season. 

https://www.mlb.com/all-star/ballot Vote as many times as you can to get Walsh to the ASG! 

Vlad Guerrero Jr. deserves to start, but let's get Walsh there as his primary backup! 

Currently here's where we're at.

E4bDnO3WYAYfgf1.jpeg

He's having a great year, one he should be proud of for sure.  He isn't going to make the All Star team unless there is an injury.  Vlad is the clear cut starter and Matt Olson is having a better year.  Absolutely nothing wrong with the season he is having, but he isn't quite in the top two.  

I stopped voting for the ASG a while back.  Angel fans historically don't vote their players into the game - most of the players who get into the game are nationally recognized guys like Vlad and Trout, who get elected because all fans vote for them. 

Salmon never got voted in. 

Edited by True Grich

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

I guess I just don't care that much about it. I haven't watched an ASG in years. I'm more interested in the HR Derby for the entertainment value.

While you may not watch it, don't you think it's cool to get players who deserve the accolades to be there, get there? 

Just now, True Grich said:

I stopped voting for the ASG a while back.  Angel fans historically don't vote their players into the game - most of the players who get into the game are nationally recognized guys like Vlad and Trout, who get elected because all fans vote for them. 

A good example of this is David Eckstein.  Never voted in until the Cardinal fans voted him in. 

I've never understood the mindset behind just blindly voting straight down the ticket for all of the Angels (or Braves in the NL, which was the team I grew up on), whether they deserve it or not.  I get to see the Angels every day, so I don't really have a strong sense of "loyalty" to vote in "my guys" or whatever.  I don't know...I'm probably different from a lot of fans in that regard, I guess? Eckstein in St. Louis is actually a perfect example of that.  Probably didn't "deserve" either selection that he got. 

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Salmon always sucked the first couple months of the season. He didn't turn it on until June and by August/Sept he had the number of an All-Star. 

10 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Salmon always sucked the first couple months of the season. He didn't turn it on until June and by August/Sept he had the number of an All-Star. 

That's just one example.  Again, Angels fans don't typically vote in "their guys" - I've noticed this for years...   I can't think of specific examples right now, but it seems Angels fans are apathetic about the ASG.

Some teams actually build campaigns to get their players elected.  Their marketing team makes a push through various channels to get fans to vote.  The Angels don't do that.  I remember the White Sox pushing for AJ Pierzynski one year... using a campaign along the lines of "I punched AJ" getting fans to punch his name on their ballots...

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

While you may not watch it, don't you think it's cool to get players who deserve the accolades to be there, get there? 

I do wish the teams were made up of the players who most deserve it, but I don't think my votes will affect anything.

If there's one of those special "26th man" votes and Walsh is on there, I'll probably vote.

What am I missing here guys? Why is it good for the Angels to have Walsh at the All-Star game rather than putting his feet up for a few days of well earned rest? 

The game doesn't sway home field advantage so what does it matter if it's just an exhibition game? It's not a really exciting game to watch, very stop-start and unlike a proper baseball game. Is it a truly huge event over there, like childhood dream stuff?

I can see the contractual future benefits for Walsh, its a strong negotiating point, but again, that's bad for the Angels as he will cost more to extend. 

So as a fan of the Angels, why do I want him (or anybody else) to go? I need educating about this clearly. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

What am I missing here guys? Why is it good for the Angels to have Walsh at the All-Star game rather than putting his feet up for a few days of well earned rest? 

The game doesn't sway home field advantage so what does it matter if it's just an exhibition game? It's not a really exciting game to watch, very stop-start and unlike a proper baseball game. Is it a truly huge event over there, like childhood dream stuff?

I can see the contractual future benefits for Walsh, its a strong negotiating point, but again, that's bad for the Angels as he will cost more to extend. 

So as a fan of the Angels, why do I want him (or anybody else) to go? I need educating about this clearly. Thanks.

I think Walsh is deserving of the opportunity.  I imagine that from a player's point of view, it's a cool thing to be with your peers and to be considered among the best.  It's one of those things that is often cited... 5-time all-star, So and So...

18 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Nothing you say is wrong but, for me, it's fun seeing a player in an Angels jersey in the All Star game. And that's all it is: fun. It's something I can see. It's a cheap thrill. 

Walsh getting rest might benefit him in the second half. (Or it might not.) But even if it does, that's not something I can see. 

Also, I should point out, I care about the All Star game more than any of my friends partly because it is always the week of my birthday and some years it's on my birthday, so it's always fun to go out with some friends and throw back beers while watching the game. 

26 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I think Walsh is deserving of the opportunity.  I imagine that from a player's point of view, it's a cool thing to be with your peers and to be considered among the best.  It's one of those things that is often cited... 5-time all-star, So and So...

23 minutes ago, Justin said:

Nothing you say is wrong but, for me, it's fun seeing a player in an Angels jersey in the All Star game. And that's all it is: fun. It's something I can see. It's a cheap thrill. 

Walsh getting rest might benefit him in the second half. (Or it might not.) But even if it does, that's not something I can see. 

Also, I should point out, I care about the All Star game more than any of my friends partly because it is always the week of my birthday and some years it's on my birthday, so it's always fun to go out with some friends and throw back beers while watching the game. 

Thanks guys. 

OK, I can see how that sort of kudos might actually benefit a player more than rest, to be part of the fun of the event, the buzz, some added confidence and a bit of swagger from knowing your peers rate you so highly. Yes, I can see how that would be good for him. 

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I've always thought more than 2-3 months of the current season should be taken into consideration.  Salmon is a big reason why.