• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We need to get Jared Walsh to the All-Star Game

Chuck

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Vlad Jr. has had a better season, but Walsh isn't that far behind so if I'm voting I'm going for Walsh. If the 1B is Pujols or say Gosselin there, I'm voting for Vlad Jr. 

Chuck, who you vote for is your prerogative - but let's be honest here.  Walsh isn't far behind?  Really?

Vlad Jr., is a legitimate threat to win the triple crown.  Besides that... V's OPS+ is 202 (leads the league) compared to Walsh's 148.  Vlad is hitting 47 points higher, his league leading OBP is 85 points higher, his league leading slugging percentage is .671 compared to .576 - 95 points higher.  V has a 3.8 WAR which is nearly double Walsh's 2.0 Need I go on? 

Walsh is having a solid year. Jr. is having a monster year.  

Look, I'd love to see Walsh get to the ASG, but he's not going to get voted in.  Again, fans can vote for whoever... but let's not pretend they're close statistically speaking.

4 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Chuck, who you vote for is your prerogative - but let's be honest here.  Walsh isn't far behind?  Really?

Vlad Jr., is a legitimate threat to win the triple crown.  Besides that... V's OPS+ is 202 (leads the league) compared to Walsh's 148.  Vlad is hitting 47 points higher, his league leading OBP is 85 points higher, his league leading slugging percentage is .671 compared to .576 - 95 points higher.  V has a 3.8 WAR which is nearly double Walsh's 2.0 Need I go on? 

Look, I'd love to see Walsh get to the ASG, but he's not going to get voted in.  Again, fans can vote for whoever... but let's not pretend they're close statistically speaking.

I said in an earlier post in this thread that Vlad Jr. deserves to start and he will, but as a fan I'm voting for my guys if they're productive and/or the production is close. Vlad Jr. is clearly the better player.

I didn't vote for Rendon, Fletcher, Suzuki, Upton, Iglesias etc. Just Ohtani, Walsh and Trout. Trout doesn't deserve to be there because he's missed games, but he's a stud and I'm an Angels fan so he gets my vote all day every day. Plus if he's healthy enough to play and he's voted in, everyone would love to see him in the ASG. 

55 minutes ago, True Grich said:

GD...

202 ops+.... thats insane

7 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

What am I missing here guys? Why is it good for the Angels to have Walsh at the All-Star game rather than putting his feet up for a few days of well earned rest? 

The game doesn't sway home field advantage so what does it matter if it's just an exhibition game? It's not a really exciting game to watch, very stop-start and unlike a proper baseball game. Is it a truly huge event over there, like childhood dream stuff?

I can see the contractual future benefits for Walsh, its a strong negotiating point, but again, that's bad for the Angels as he will cost more to extend. 

So as a fan of the Angels, why do I want him (or anybody else) to go? I need educating about this clearly. Thanks.

There aren't a lot of things in US sports that have the cache that some of the non league tournaments have in Europe.  For soccer/futbol there is history but it's more team related.  In the US, that legacy is more individual.  For so long, the US has dominated everything but so it's made not sense to compete against other nations.  Or it's just cultural fostered by individualism.  Either way, it's a tried and true component of mlb for almost 80 years.  And that's the first official game where they were having some version back and far as 1911.  So for 110 years.  

It's kind of a rite if passage for the sport 

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Walsh is an incredible player and great person to boot, but I would take Vlad Jr. over him 100 times out of 100. It's like comparing filet mignon to an INO double double.

I totally disagree with your analogy.  I would take a double double over a mealy, mushy piece of meat any day.