• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We need to get Jared Walsh to the All-Star Game

Chuck

12 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

And the years he played, there were plenty of other corner outfielders who hit the shit out of the ball.

Yeah, Salmon was a really really good player, but the 90s/early 00s had some pretty insane numbers going on among OFers. And not just the HOF-level guys like Manny, Griffey, etc... It was dudes like Juan Gonzalez, Bernie Williams, Albert Belle, Kenny Lofton, etc... Those dudes put up some freaking awesome years in that era.

I think you guys are missing my point...

Angel fans didn't vote in big numbers to put Salmon into any ASG.  They typically don't do that and Salmon is a prime example.  This fan base doesn't make the kind of effort that is necessary to get someone like Salmon into the ASG.  Fan favorites in smaller markets do get voted in because their fan base will rally around something like that. 

24 minutes ago, Don said:

Yeah, Salmon was a really really good player, but the 90s/early 00s had some pretty insane numbers going on among OFers. And not just the HOF-level guys like Manny, Griffey, etc... It was dudes like Juan Gonzalez, Bernie Williams, Albert Belle, Kenny Lofton, etc... Those dudes put up some freaking awesome years in that era.

Yep. Salmon was a great angel. But as far as his era.... he was very good.... but there were guys putting up a lot better numbers.

And it obviously didnt help he played for a team not doing a whole lot.

3 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Angel fans didn't vote in big numbers to put Salmon into any ASG.  They typically don't do that and Salmon is a prime example.  This fan base doesn't make the kind of effort that is necessary to get someone like Salmon into the ASG.  Fan favorites in smaller markets do get voted in because their fan base will rally around something like that. 

True.... but the problem with salmon, especially when he played, was the yankees and red sox.

When salmon played, guys like griffey and arod were locks. Even as mariners. After that, it was like even split with sux and skanks. Not just their home fanbases, but there are chowd and (need another yankee slur here) across the country. And those years they were at their peak.

Off the top of my head, the others were buhner, edgar martinez, and some indians. Both the mariners and indians were good at the time, and had star power. 

Our stat power in those years was social security cases like eddie murray.

Hate to say it. But without 2002, guys like salmon and GA would be forgotten.... including by a lot of angel fans.

9 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I get your point... and it's kinda sorta accurate, but in my opinion not the most important part of Salmon never going to an ASG. Simply put (and this is without doing a deep dive into the numbers), I highly doubt Salmon was ever one of the three best OFers in the AL at the end of June in any year of his career (his year in 95 was pretty sick overall, so maybe then?). So expecting one fanbase with little national-level loyalty/attention being paid to them to somehow successfully execute a crazy ballot-stuffing campaign for a dude that honestly didn't fully deserve it, while other more nationally recognized teams did the the same for their guys that often actually were more deserving would've been well... asking a lot.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

While I appreciate the thought behind this thread, unless he’s going to beat out Vlad in the fan vote, nothing you guys can do will have any impact. 

The players and MLB pick all the non starters and pitchers. 

Was gonna mention that about Salmon, too

Im sure everyone who plays baseball knew how good he was. But they werent picking him over some of the huge name guys back then

1 hour ago, Don said:

So expecting one fanbase with little national-level loyalty/attention being paid to them to somehow successfully execute a crazy ballot-stuffing campaign for a dude that honestly didn't fully deserve it, while other more nationally recognized teams did the the same for their guys that often actually were more deserving would've been well... asking a lot.

Again, you're not hearing me.  I don't expect this fan base to do that.  They haven't done it before and I don't expect them to do it for Walsh.  I'm not saying Salmon deserved to be an all-star.  He's just ONE example that comes to mind of a player, much beloved (and who was pretty good), who didn't find his way to the ASG because of a lack of effort by his fans to put him there. 

My point is - asking us to rally around Walsh is pointless. 

Edited by True Grich

31 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Completely disagree. 

That's like telling a Libertarian or someone that sides with the Green Party to vote for the Republican or Democrat in an election rather than going for who they think is the best.

There's nothing pointless in trying and showing love in the way of "Votes" for the person you want to win. 

2 hours ago, Don said:

The one-per-team minimum didn't help.   Also, the rosters were a bit smaller.   No doubt, there was stiff competition for AL outfield spots, but...

Joe Carter, Ruben Sierra, Greg Vaughn, Paul O'Neill  all made multiple all star teams while Salmon was getting shut out.   Jay Buhner, BJ Surhoff, Matt Lawton, and Ben Grieve all made one.  Salmon was at least as good as all of em.  

Heck, one year the AL had 4 players listed as designated hitters.  I'm sure there were a slew of questionable picks at other positions, especially because of the one per team minimum.

49 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Again, you're not hearing me.  I don't expect this fan base to do that.  They haven't done it before and I don't expect them to do it for Walsh.  I'm not saying Salmon deserved to be an all-star.  He's just ONE example that comes to mind of a player, much beloved (and who was pretty good), who didn't find his way to the ASG because of a lack of effort by his fans to put him there. 

It just seems like a dig at this team's fanbase to say that. Almost like you're saying Salmon didn't ever get voted into an ASG because us, the fans, were too lazy to get him there. I don't think that's the case. And honestly what Walsh is going through this year is a smaller, singular version of what Salmon went through his whole career. Walsh is having a really good year, and I'm sure most teams would be super happy to have him. Guerrero is having a year that is leaps and bounds better. The fact that you don't expect this fanbase to rally around him doesn't say anything about Angel fans in my opinion. It says that baseball fans at a national level (and I'd expect quite a few Angel fans too) are voting for the better player at that position.

17 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

That's like telling a Libertarian or someone that sides with the Green Party to vote for the Republican or Democrat in an election rather than going for who they think is the best.

Politics and baseball are apples and oranges.

You're really asking Angels fans to vote for Walsh over Guerrero?  You think Walsh is having a better season?

1 minute ago, Don said:

The fact that you don't expect this fanbase to rally around him doesn't say anything about Angel fans in my opinion. It says that baseball fans at a national level (and I'd expect quite a few Angel fans too) are voting for the better player at that position.

Exactly. 

I"m not putting Angels fans down.  I'm just stating the opinion that they don't typically vote players in on their own efforts, for better or worse. 

You're trying to engage me in an argument that I am not fighting. 

It is what it is.  Angels fans don't do rally around players for the purpose of electing them to ASG's.  If you think that's a bad thing, that's fine.  I just think it's a thing.

4 minutes ago, Don said:

It just seems like a dig at this team's fanbase to say that. Almost like you're saying Salmon didn't ever get voted into an ASG because us, the fans, were too lazy to get him there

You're trying to put words in my mouth.  I never said Angels fans were lazy.  It's not even a dig.  It's just a true statement about the history Angels fans have with voting for ASG's.

6 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Politics and baseball are apples and oranges.

You're really asking Angels fans to vote for Walsh over Guerrero?  You think Walsh is having a better season?

193K voted for the worst catcher in the game in Kurt Suzuki, good for 4th on the list. 

Vlad Jr. has had a better season, but Walsh isn't that far behind so if I'm voting I'm going for Walsh. If the 1B is Pujols or say Gosselin there, I'm voting for Vlad Jr. 

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

He's having a great year, one he should be proud of for sure.  He isn't going to make the All Star team unless there is an injury.  Vlad is the clear cut starter and Matt Olson is having a better year.  Absolutely nothing wrong with the season he is having, but he isn't quite in the top two.  

Don't disagree on Olson - but Abreu doesn't belong in the top three - and I'm not convinced on Gurriel - his stats are anomalous and someone his age doesn't suddenly get dramatically better ... well, most don't ..

Walsh and Olson both deserve some recognition and I'd be happy to see them as the #2 and #3.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Completely disagree. 

There's nothing pointless in trying and showing love in the way of "Votes" for the person you want to win. 

It’s like supporting your own kids even though they may be kind of dumb 

The All STAR game is for the biggest STARS.

Walsh just is not one of the biggest stars in the game right now.  If he continues to perform the way he is performing, he very well may become a huge star.

A movie with an “All Star Cast” is not necessarily all the best actors.

The All Star game really seems to be for kids.  Sure I will check it out on game day and I very well might enjoy the game.  But I honestly don’t care who is in the game and who is not.  Let the fans that care vote and get the results they want based on whatever they want, even if they want to see a “star” that is not as good as a guy that isn’t a “star.”

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

While I appreciate the thought behind this thread, unless he’s going to beat out Vlad in the fan vote, nothing you guys can do will have any impact. 

The players and MLB pick all the non starters and pitchers. 

I hope every Angels game the rest of the year has lead changes in the 7th inning and beyond.  😜