• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

大谷翔平 - The Official Shohei Ohtani Thread

Ohtani understands himself that his heyday will not last so long.
His line in a watch commercial from June 9, 2023 in Japan.

(Youtube in Japanese) "Enjoy the time of challenge." 30 seconds version

I will leave the mound someday.
I will leave the batter’s box someday.
The last day will come definitely.
That's why I want to enjoy the challenge of getting better until that day.

Keep Going Foward PROSPEX SEIKO

------

A longer version, recorded before the season, which is more specific about "awareness of limited time as a player", is available on Youtube.

(Youtube in Japanese) Shohei Ohtani Interview 2023

(I translate freely of the relevant parts.)

Awareness of how to use time
My position in the team, or as a player, comes with increased responsibility. I have more things to do, and I have to be in good shape to face the season. Since I've been in America for many years, I've become able to calculate how to use my time to the future. I think most important thing is to to stay in top shape.

Awareness of limited time as a player
In a limited amount of time, bringing both physical and technical skills to the peak at the same time is quite difficult to engage, and I think there is no much time. Of course, the time spent in active at the forefront of the player is short, furthermore the peak time is even less. At that peak time, I don't think there is much time left for bringing my highest point as high as possible.

There are times when I'm impatient, but these times are also like fun. I love training and practice, because I think it's a half hobby. If I can do things that I couldn't do before, such as being able to carry a weight, or to do the motion, I think these will be an encouragement.

------

This year (2023), Seiko may not make Ohtani-Angels watch with Ohtani's number "17" and the city code of Anaheim, presumably due to his trade risks.

Reference:  2022 Seiko Astron Nexter Ohtani model  (JapanToday in English)

------

Addendum as of July 16, 2023

Link: Seiko Announces A Limited Edition Prospex Diver Collab With MLB Star Shohei Ohtani: The SBDC191

Edited by FromJapan
Addendum

Ichiro's retirement press conference after the second game of the MLB opening series (Mariners vs. Athletics) held at Tokyo Dome on March 21, 2019

(YouTube in Japanese) Ichiro's retirement press conference

------

Ichiro's comments on Ohtani

From 58:16 -

Shohei should heal his injuries properly. His scale is also physically large, and he is not inferior in size to American players at all. No one else can do that agility at his size. For that reason alone...He should become the best player in the world. Hmm...

From 1:13:20 -

It's a regret that I couldn't face Ohtani in a game. I wanted to play as a pitcher against the batter Shohei. Please do not misunderstand (LOL). 

If he could do both as a pitcher and as a hitter, one season as a pitcher and the next as a hitter, then win the Cy Young Award and home run title. Normally we can't even think of that. But Shohei makes people imagine that. Even at this point, I think he is clearly a different player. I think that 2-way style I mentioned is interesting for me. You, the reporters, look unconvinced with my predictions. If he has a season where he wins 20 games as a pitcher, and the next year he hits 50 homeruns and win the MVP, he is so to say a monster. But it's not unimaginable.

That's how I think.

------

References in Japanese:
 Ichiro's retirement press conference (Yahoo Japan News on March 22, 2019)
 CoCoKARA Next (Japanese Online Magazine) 

Rice Paddy Art in Oshu-city, Ohtani's hometown
A draft of the artwork is designed by using computer modeling that corrected according to the perspective from the observatory near the paddy. Then the piles as the markers are driven into the paddy according to the draft. Varieties of rice with a different size and a particular hue are planted in the appropriate sections.

Artworks of 2018 (2 photos on the right) and 2019 (on the left)
The Japanese word in the paddy is the local dialect means means "OUR ⭐".

This year, a new artwork created for the first time in four years, as it was suspended due to the spread of COVID-19.

Edited by FromJapan
Correction of the year, twitter update on July 3.

Shohei Ohtani leads all of MLB in (takes deep breath...):

Home Runs (28)

RBI's (64)

Extra Base Hits (47)

Total Bases (200)

Slugging Pct (.654)

OPS (1.064)

Adjusted OPS+ (180)

wRC+ (180)

Isolate power ISO (.350)

AB's per HR (10.93)

Adj Batting Runs (33)

Adj Batting Wins (3.2)

Offensive Win % (.785)

Situational Wins Added (3.5)

Base-Out Wins Added (3.3)

Hits per 9 IP (5.664)

bWAR (6.1)

fWAR (5.7)

He is also 2nd in all MLB for Strikeouts per 9 with a K9 of 11.99.

M.V.P.

There are 11 Japanese players (excluding staff) who have got the World Series ring so far. 3 of them got 2 rings.

Hideo Nomo (LAD and others) and Ichiro (SEA and others) couldn't get it, despite their long and stellar MLB careers. Will Ohtani be able to get the ring?

Los Angeles Angels 2023 Team leaders

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 6.57.41 PM.png

- G Ohtani 84
- PA Ohtani 377
- AB Ohtani 324
- BA Ohtani .306
- HR Ohtani 31*
- RBI Ohtani 68*
- R Ohtani 61
- H Ohtani 99
- 3B Ohtani 5*
- SB Ohtani 11