• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

大谷翔平 - The Official Shohei Ohtani Thread

Outdoor advertising of the bank building (April 2023 Tokyo, Japan)
The left side: advertising slogan for companies, "To help others, the next challenge is born."
The right: for individuals, "There's a dream only you can draw."

MUFG1.jpg.2105d3388c37ace6bb6b1012aaf7787e.jpg

Near the ATM (Sorry, poor photo quality)
"The future begins when you begin the challenge."

MUFG3.jpg.181d25d34f64f081a0a5f8f6c02705d6.jpg

On April 28, the Japanese government announced the 2023 spring conferment of decorations. The Japanese national baseball team that won the WBC was selected for the Medal with Purple Ribbon.  It is given to those who have made splendid achievements in the fields of sports, academia, and the arts.

Summary of Ohtani's comments: "It's an honor. I'm currently in the season, so I want to focus on baseball."

the Medal with Purple Ribbon  © Cabinet Office, Government of Japan

shiju-hosho.jpg.748337c75ab5b7ec11ef751bd825e91f.jpg

From 2023 season, Ohtani signed a long-term contract with New Balance.  Its custom glove specialized for him is OEM provided by Wilson.  The production factory is KSK in Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan, which maintains a manufacturing agreement with Wilson about half century.  KSK had made gloves for Hideo Nomo, Barry Bonds and Michael Jordan. Masataka Yoshida of the Red Sox also uses the gloves made by KSK.

NEW BALANCE AND SHOHEI OHTANI RELEASE DETAILS ON CUSTOM GLOVE AHEAD OF HOME OPENER

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

@FromJapan, thank you for this information. We all appreciate the insight and information we can't get anywhere else here!! 

You may not know it, but you've also become our official Japanese AngelsWin correspondent for our social media. 🙂 

Please correct the kanji (chinese character) of Masataka Yoshida's first name "Masataka" on Twitter.

The correspondence between alphabetical notation and kanji  (chinese character) is as follows.
Masa 正
taka 尚

Yoshi 吉
da  田

When writing a Japanese name in Japanese, the surname comes first.
(Incorrect)吉田正孝

(Correct)吉田正尚

レッドソックスの吉田正尚選手も

There are many kanji (Chinese characters) with the same pronunciation corresponding to the alphabetical notation "taka".
孝 and 尚 can also be read as "taka".

1 hour ago, FromJapan said:

Please correct the kanji (chinese character) of Masataka Yoshida's first name "Masataka" on Twitter.

The correspondence between alphabetical notation and kanji  (chinese character) is as follows.
Masa 正
taka 尚

Yoshi 吉
da  田

When writing a Japanese name in Japanese, the surname comes first.
(Incorrect)吉田正孝

(Correct)吉田正尚

レッドソックスの吉田正尚選手も

There are many kanji (Chinese characters) with the same pronunciation corresponding to the alphabetical notation "taka".
孝 and 尚 can also be read as "taka".

Ah okay.. I cannot edit it anymore since it's past Twitter's 30 min's to edit window, but thank you for the clarification. 

I used Google Translate. I'm not sure I can trust that. 

22 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Ah okay.. I cannot edit it anymore since it's past Twitter's 30 min's to edit window, but thank you for the clarification. 

I used Google Translate. I'm not sure I can trust that. 

Google translate could easily cause WWIII at the negotiation table. But kudos for taking the shot at trying to reach out to the Japanese audience. 

NHK* has been publishing and updating Ohtani's words from March 8th just before the WBC opening to most recent, under the title of "The collection of Ohtani's sayings 2023".

*, Japanese public broadcaster

(Link) COVER STORY "The collection of Ohtani's sayings 2023" - NHK sports

This page is in Japanese. Using Google translate may result in some incomplete and/or misleading translations. There are many photos of Ohtani on this site.

37 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

I don't pay for ESPN but going to go out on a limb and say the conclusion is he's predicted to sign with the dodgers.

Only 6 of the 26 insiders predicted which team he'd end up with and none suggested the Angels. The others said it was too early to tell.  Here's an excerpt that covers the predictions for the length and dollar amount of his deal: 

"The 26 predictions ranged from as short as four years, in an attempt to maximize average annual value, to as long as 13 years, with the total payout ranging from $240 million over those four years to a whopping $605 million.

Since the three shorter AAV-friendly deals are really a different type of contract that skews the results a bit, let's focus first on the 23 answers that were nine years or longer. These are the averages from that group:

Years: 11.0

Total guarantee: $524.3 million

AAV: $47.5 million

On the high end, two deals guaranteed Ohtani both $600 million total and an average annual value of $50 million: 11 years, $605 million ($55M AAV); and 12 years, $600 million ($50M AAV).

Three of the 23 were for less than $500 million, but only one came in under $475 million, and the longest deal (13 years, $475 million) was a bit of an outlier at just $36.5 million in annual value."