• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB Network panel on Ohtani batting in games he pitches

Chuck

• Chuck changed the title to MLB Network panel on Ohtani batting in games he pitches
2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

What these three knuckleheads don't recognize is Ohtani had executed the third out but only by an error by Stassi did the inning continue. They argue it was a batter too long but the third out was executed through a strikeout. Had Stassi completed the play Ohtani may have returned to mound in the 6th inning for a batter or two. 

Agree, except for Ohtani coming back out for the 6th. He was done. 

6 minutes ago, Lou said:

Agree, except for Ohtani coming back out for the 6th. He was done. 

I agree.  He had already thrown 92 pitches and his command was starting to waver a bit, even though his velocity was still up in the high 90’s.

22 minutes ago, Blarg said:

What these three knuckleheads don't recognize is Ohtani had executed the third out but only by an error by Stassi did the inning continue. They argue it was a batter too long but the third out was executed through a strikeout. Had Stassi completed the play Ohtani may have returned to mound in the 6th inning for a batter or two. 

Are you saying that after he’d given up a hit, almost another hit (saved by Lagares), walked Eaton and thrown a wild pitch that it never crossed your mind he was done, with the MVP coming to the plate?

And then he walked him. 

And still stayed in the game. 

If Stassi holds the ball, it’s “wow Maddon made a risky decision and it worked out.” But it was a risky decision no matter what happened. 

It looked worse than the end results which were not in Ohtani's control. He is out of the inning with only one run scored if not for the clown school antics of Stassi and Fletcher. There is too much scrutiny on a pitcher that allows baserunners or a runner scoring. Not every inning is going to be perfect, some can be ugly but with good results. Up until his last pitch the results were good enough. 

He can hit and pitch in the same game.  Yesterday this was demonstrated.  A pitcher should be pulled when it’s pretty clear that they’re starting to labor.  As it appeared with Ohtani last night.  Maddon didn’t need to leave him in for Abreu.  It made sense to get him there.  He definitely should have gone and got him after that.  The circus play is just a thing that happened.  I’m sure they had a plan, and when the telecast was talking to him he pretty much said that he was at his planned limit.  Stick to the plan Joe.  Especially in April. 

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

It looked worse than the end results which were not in Ohtani's control. He is out of the inning with only one run scored if not for the clown school antics of Stassi and Fletcher. There is too much scrutiny on a pitcher that allows baserunners or a runner scoring. Not every inning is going to be perfect, some can be ugly but with good results. Up until his last pitch the results were good enough. 

You’re still just looking at the results. They said 80-90 pitches was his limit. He had just walked two guys the inning before and used up a lot of gas to get out of that. He was at 64 pitches. He gave up a hit and walked another guy and was about to face the reigning MVP when he was already at 80 pitches. 

No one would have questioned it if he’d taken Ohtani out after the walk to Eaton or after the walk to Abreu. 

You can debate whether Maddon was right to push Ohtani.

You can’t debate whether he was pushing him. 

We went from:

Brad "pull him with two outs in the 2nd inning because his pitch count is at 40 and the top of the lineup is coming back around" Ausmus

to:

Joe "it's 1985 so gimme six innings no matter what and we'll turn it over to Goose Gossage for the three inning save" Maddon

Admittedly it's a big pendulum swing, but I definitely prefer the latter.  I despise the Ausmus-style thinking that is equivalent to grandma to covering her new fancy Japanese import Ohtani couch with a vinyl slip cover and tell everyone they're not allowed to sit on it, ever.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You can’t debate whether he was pushing him. 

I wasn't.

I was saying he completed the inning but circumstances made it look worse than it was. Had Stassi made the catch on strike three there is no discussion. There is only one run on the board and no need for 9th inning heroics which wouldn't have been as much fun. 

The only reason it is questioned now wasn't pitch count but because of bad defense he almost had is ankle snapped. 

It looked like the objective was to try and get through 5 innings in order to qualify for the win.  

It could also be, if the go ahead run is going to be charged to Ohtani,  don't let that run be due to another pitcher allowing the inherited runner to score.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I wasn't.

I was saying he completed the inning but circumstances made it look worse than it was. Had Stassi made the catch on strike three there is no discussion. There is only one run on the board and no need for 9th inning heroics which wouldn't have been as much fun. 

The only reason it is questioned now wasn't pitch count but because of bad defense he almost had is ankle snapped. 

I'm convinced you weren't watching the game.

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

The reasoning was dumb. Sherman was right on: Leaving him in so he could get a "win"? 🤦‍♂️

it isn't just about pitch count but high stress pitches. For a guy who has barely pitched the last five years, it was reckless and out of touch with what the priorities should've been. 

It was a borderline fireable offense. As a fan I really wanted to see Ohtani face Abreu, but the rational side of my brain knew it was a mistake. And then after a long at bat Maddon let him face another batter... 1985 it is...

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm convinced you weren't watching the game.

Every pitch including Iglesias doing his own clown play in the 9th, tossing the ball into left field with one out, scoring the tying run for the White Sox that were 0 for the game with RISP. 

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Looking at the guy on the left, when did Woody Allen become a baseball commentator?

7 minutes ago, IheartLA said:

Umpire squeezed him on Eaton and Abreu. Stassi was a comedy show that inning. For his 1st start of the season they should have tried to leave on a high note so that they could build.

It wasn’t just Stassi.   Fletcher threw one to home plate that even Kareem or Shaq couldn’t have caught.