• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball America: “They [Angels] have no bullpen,” one opposing scout said. “It’s going to be a big issue.”

Chuck

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

When did I say that?  

I'm telling you how the industry works and you're disagreeing with me.

The reason this discussion is stupid is because I don't think you know how easy it is to find an actual person and get a real comment that says just about anything. So, it's very easy to avoid doing something that will end your career.

It's like saying there are guys who work at McDonalds and piss on the french fries instead of walking 15 feet to the bathroom.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I'm telling you how the industry works and you're disagreeing with me.

The reason this discussion is stupid is because I don't think you know how easy it is to find an actual person and get a real comment that says just about anything. So, it's very easy to avoid doing something that will end your career.

It's like saying there are guys who work at McDonalds and piss on the french fries instead of walking 15 feet to the bathroom.

You disagree.  Noted.  No problem. 

If you want to stand firm that journalism at “respected” publications is free of sneaky techniques to produce content, including taking liberties with “unnamed sources” that is fine Jeff.

This doesn’t have to be resolved between us.

And it is OK for people currently outside your profession to have a calculated opinion about this.  It is healthy (for your business) for readers to be specifically skeptical of this.

And no I am not a professional journalist as you are.  But don’t assume I have no experience in that business.

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

What is your experience?

I worked in sports publishing for years.  I was young in my twenties.  It’s not that interesting really.  Magazines, local newspapers, national publications, and a tiny bit if broadcasting.  Jeff’s experience dwarfs mine but I was active.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

I worked in sports publishing for years.  I was young in my twenties.  It’s not that interesting really.  Magazines, local newspapers, national publications, and a tiny bit if broadcasting.  Jeff’s experience dwarfs mine but I was active.

Ok. How many reporters were found making up quotes?

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Ok. How many reporters were found making up quotes?

I appreciate your angle.  I really do.

But this isn’t going to resolve the fact that unnamed sources should be viewed with skepticism versus named sources.

That was the point and I believe this isn’t really disputable.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

But this isn’t going to resolve the fact that unnamed sources should be viewed with skepticism versus named sources.

My angle, as you call it, is learning how prevalent it is. 

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

My angle, as you call it, is learning how prevalent it is. 

I guess we would have to do some research.

I don’t need to know the stats to (as a reader) operate under an acknowledgment that unnamed and named sources are not equal.

We all just lived through the last decade of massive amounts of fake news.

”Unnamed sources” to me is inferior and it’s healthy to note when sources are named or not.

Again, this was the original point and for the record I wasn’t specifically accusing this exact writer of making it up.  It was simply a comment about unnamed sources today.

5 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I think it’s fair to question the weight to give a quote from an unnamed source because you don’t know how informed they are or how biased their opinion may be.

That is a totally different thing than questioning the existence of the source, which is what you’re suggesting when you say a writer is fabricating a quote. 

Maybe you don’t see a distinction there, but it’s pretty clear to me. 

Bullpens are a crapshoot especially when you have mostly crap back there. Sandoval is a starter, Barria is a starter, Guerra is a DFA All-Star. Buttrey has no command of his fastball and when he does throw it over the plate it gets hammered. Mayers has a small sample size of success and Slegers needs to stay healthy. I like Raisel but I am afraid that he won’t get enough work. 
 Success for the Angels will lie with the offense. 

27 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think it’s fair to question the weight to give a quote from an unnamed source because you don’t know how informed they are or how biased their opinion may be.

That is a totally different thing than questioning the existence of the source, which is what you’re suggesting when you say a writer is fabricating a quote. 

Maybe you don’t see a distinction there, but it’s pretty clear to me. 

We are all jealous Jeff, we wish we had your job. Get to cover a MLB team. 

The bottom line issue is not burning out the candles along the way!

I was really interested in bringing another closer like a Rosenthal and or a Hand. 

Having 2 closers and one going every other game and having a strong lefty available who could also get out right handed hitters and a couple solid setup guys would help.

I feel Buttery has stalled in his development and I blame the last 2 pitching coaches (Nagy & White) and over use.

Overall, if you watch the SPT games the guys who are doing well pound the strike zone. The ones that havent been pick around it!