• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball America: “They [Angels] have no bullpen,” one opposing scout said. “It’s going to be a big issue.”

Chuck

Justin Anderson: n/a

Matt Andriese: 10 IP, 5 H, 6 K, 3 BB. 2.70 ERA, 0.80 WHIP

Keynan Middleton: 7 IP, 11 H, 11 K, 2 BB. 11.57 ERA, 1.86 WHIP

Holby Milner: 6 IP, 3 H, 8 K, 2 BB. 0.00 ERA, 0.83 WHIP

Hansel Robles: 8 IP, 12 H, 8K, 2 BB. 4.50 ERA, 1.75 WHIP

42 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I didn’t get why Andriese wasn’t brought back.  

He’s worth $2 million easy, had a solid 2020 and some solid pitching before that.

2 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

2021 under new management

Yeah - so likely, Minasian has a vastly different view on bullpen construction than his predecessor.  Our bullpen was entirely overhauled.  Perhaps he felt Andriese wasn't worth what he was due to earn in arbitration.

If the starters are healthy and can pitch 5-6 innings consistently, the bullpen can perform better.  Part of the reason the Angels bullpen hasn't been very good is because of overuse due to the lack of good starter. The Angels had to throw out the part of the bullpen you shouldn't be using too often because the starters got hurt, couldn't pitch into games often, etc. 

13 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Btw, I am no longer going to be surprised if CRod makes the team. 

Not sure it’s a good idea but people who know more than me seem to think so. 

I don't like the idea either but if they think it will help the team I'll trust their judgment.

I just hope they remember he's arguably our best STARTING pitching prospect.

12 hours ago, Justin said:

If I had to choose between "no bullpen," "no offense," and "no starting pitching," I would choose the first one every time. It's the easiest one to address during the season. And, as many have noted, there is always the possibility of the bullpen outperforming expectations. 

This^ . Couldn't have said it any better. completely agree

I have no idea if it a good idea, but I also have no idea if he struggles... if it will hamper his future.

I do think, in the past, talented young players haven't been moved fast enough.   That's gone out the window and it's fun to watch.

14 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Why are people so sure that from watching CRod throw about 6 innings in spring training that he’s a major leaguer right now? It’s not like his stats have been that great either. Without looking I think he’s given up 4 runs in 6 innings or something. 

And he has zero minor league track record. 

Sure, he throws hard and has good stuff and may be good, but I think you need to see a little (or a lot) more.

I don’t think it’s impossible that he makes the team but I’d still be surprised. 

hyperbole and over-reacting are kind of our thing around here.

Bullpens are also at the mercy of the starting pitching.  Bad starting pitching exposes the back end of the bullpen.  That’s why I’m not a fan of a 6 man rotation.  That’s 50 starts from your number 5 and 6 starters who usually give you 5 innings at best.  Bundy will need to be an innings horse and one of the two pickups needs to be better than expected, and Ohtani needs to be a top end starter.  

2 hours ago, ScottT said:

I have no idea if it a good idea, but I also have no idea if he struggles... if it will hamper his future.

I do think, in the past, talented young players haven't been moved fast enough.   That's gone out the window and it's fun to watch.

Angels under Eppler were among the most aggressive teams in MLB when  it came to promoting young players.

32 minutes ago, thebloob said:

Bullpens are also at the mercy of the starting pitching.  Bad starting pitching exposes the back end of the bullpen.  That’s why I’m not a fan of a 6 man rotation.  That’s 50 starts from your number 5 and 6 starters who usually give you 5 innings at best.  Bundy will need to be an innings horse and one of the two pickups needs to be better than expected, and Ohtani needs to be a top end starter.  

Except the Angels don’t really have 5 and 6 starters. It’s more like 2-2-3-3-4-5