• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I've been an Upton pessimist but...

I must admit, this is the best his swing has looked in a long time. Like everyone else here, I don't care about ST stats (see Trout and Rendon). For me, it's all about how they look in their motions.

Upton's swing is compact, he's seeing the ball well, barreling baseballs, using the middle of the field and seems to be running better than he has in a couple years. 

I thought he was an overpaid, bad defender whose swing has slowed down too far, and he was too streaky to rely on. And some of that is probably still true. 

But regardless of Spring results, he looks great. Maybe he'll hold off replacement by Adell or Marsh for another year.

Edited by Second Base

i'm not nearly as worried about upton as essentially everyone on this board is apparently.

i've never really seen him as what was killing the angels, tbh. most of the time, i'd say it's been SP and pujols. wrapped into the pujols element is the fact that none of the other 1b ever could produce enough to push him to the bench, not that the angels were going to bench pujols even if they had produced.

Dude is just streaky. It's who he is. He's gonna have two week stretches where he slashes 160/200/260 and he's gonna have two week stretches that are 320/400/600. If he's healthy and plays 140+ games he'll probably put up typical Justin Upton numbers, which is perfectly fine if he's hitting 5/6 with Walsh.

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Upton will be our fourth best hitter this year.  Behind Trout, Rendon and Ohtani.  He will be better than Fletcher, Albert, Walsh, Iglesias and Fowler. 

We'll see.  I think Fletcher is a more skillful hitter and thus will prove to be better overall.  But if Upton mashes and has an OPS of 900+, I will happily be wrong lol.

38 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Upton will be our fourth best hitter this year.  Behind Trout, Rendon and Ohtani.  He will be better than Fletcher, Albert, Walsh, Iglesias and Fowler. 

I think Walsh has a good shot of being better than Upton, and I think Iglesias will hit for a pretty decent average, though comparing him and Upton is tough as they have entirely different skill sets.

23 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Fletcher will have the highest OBP of the second tier guys, Upton will have the highest OPS of the those guys, which is why I said he’d be the best offensive player of the secondary group. 

You might call Fletcher "second tier", but I'm waiting for his bobblehead to come out so I can replace Baby Jesus in my Nativity Set.

Upton hit really well in September, and it seemingly carried over.  And the defense seems better than the past 2-3 years.

It’s a nice lineup, with surprising starting pitching so far this ST.

With Iglesias and Mayers’ cutter, the 8th and 9th innings should be fine.

Now, can the 3rd through 8th guys in the bullpen rise up just often enough?

Edited by Angel Oracle

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

interesting, my completely unscientific thoughts are that trout and rendon are obvious. ohtani is difficult to compare because of limited plate appearances. fletcher i disagree with, but i understand people will value their hitting stats differently. Walsh and iglesias are the swing guys. if they hit well, then the angels have a potent lineup. i think they both outproduce upton. upton will be better than fowler. pujols? look at jackie the joke man over here, this guy.

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Upton moving well in the outfield is what I'm most happy about.  Something close to his 2018 at the plate would be awesome.  He'll be streaky but his bat speed looks really good right now.  

Heck, he’s looking like September 2017 Upton just after being acquired.