• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani

8 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Bored, and havent been able to watch any games yet this year. But I keep reading on here Ohtani looks good.

First time Ive been excited for something in a long, long time. Team has been a dud for awhile. And covid last year made me lose all interest.

But if Ohtani is back.... and he does what hes doing... 

Im trying not to expect too much. Mid rotation stuff, and Ill be happy if his arm just stays intact. 

But weve seen what he can do.... its hard to imagine healthy that hes merely a mid rotation guy.

Then theres the bat. Ill be happy if hes just better than last year. So far it looks like hes the 2018 guy again....

Its hard not to be excited about this. Even forgetting hes an Angel, and how much he can help the team, just from a baseball fan standpoint, its going to be crazy to see this guy go this year.

I think he looks better than 2018 TBH.

If his Spring batting can carry over then he'd be on pace for a monster season at the plate. 

That boost of confidence also could help him find his groove again while he's pitching. Ohtani really is a wild card for this team. If he can bat like he's been batting and live with a 4.00 ERA or a little less then the Angels have a really good team. 

We've all said that having Cobb or Quintana perform well will carry the team but I firmly believe the Angels win the division with Ohtani being the one who pushes the Angels over the hump. 

Keep an eye out on Ohtani 

Mlb chat talked about Ohtani innings this year.  They are saying even healthy Ohtani doesn’t get to 100 innings.

If he pitched 5 innings a start, that would be 19 starts with her 162 games.  So I guess they are telling us the Angels will start Ohtani every eighth game?

Or if Ohtani pitched every 6th game he would have to be yanked after like 3.2 innings per start to stay under 100 innings.

Crazy.

If Ohtani is healthy he absolutely pitches more than 100 innings.

I've never seen anything like what he is doing this spring.  If he was a Yankee, or a Red Sox, MLB and ESPN would 24/7 Ohtani updates.  I suspect that is one of the reasons he selected the Angels.

If he is able to do continue doing it this season, it will be amazing to watch.  I forgot how special he is because of his injury and his offensive struggles last season.

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Mlb chat talked about Ohtani innings this year.  They are saying even healthy Ohtani doesn’t get to 100 innings.

If he pitched 5 innings a start, that would be 19 starts with her 162 games.  So I guess they are telling us the Angels will start Ohtani every eighth game?

Or if Ohtani pitched every 6th game he would have to be yanked after like 3.2 innings per start to stay under 100 innings.

Crazy.

I think Ohtani pitches as many innings as he can or until he gets hurt.  I thought there would be a limit, but based on how Ohtani is being handled this spring, he will easily surpass 100 innings if he stays healthy.  I think MLB chat is not aware he comes from a culture where pitchers throw pitches and are not coddled like china dolls.

The best part of watching him this spring is to see him smile and laugh so freely.  That tells me all I need to know.  I'm holding firm, if Ohtani stays healthy all season, he could be the first, and maybe only player to contend for both the Cy Young and MVP in the same season as a pitcher and hitter.

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Crazy.

I’m predicting between 4-5 innings/start for the first couple of months, and then 5-6 innings/start the rest of the season.

That times 27 starts = around 130-140 innings.

Baseball References projections have him at 479 PA with 22 doubles, 3 triples and 21 HR. But they have him at 126 strike outs and a .259 / .335 / .473 With an .808 OPS.

They don’t have a pitching projection for him but in 2018 he had two outings in which he went 2 innings and one he went when he was injured. The other 7 he pitched 6, 7, 5.1, 6, 6.1, 7.2 and 5. Averaged 5.5 per start.

His ERA was 3.1 in those starts. 6 of those  game were a QS. 

Just now, Hubs said:

Baseball References projections have him at 479 PA with 22 doubles, 3 triples and 21 HR. But they have him at 126 strike outs and a .259 / .335 / .473 With an .808 OPS.

They don’t have a pitching projection for him but in 2018 he had two outings in which he went 2 innings and one he went when he was injured. The other 7 he pitched 6, 7, 5.1, 6, 6.1, 7.2 and 5. Averaged 5.5 per start.

His ERA was 3.1 in those starts. 6 of those  game were a QS. 

I would be ecstatic with an .800+ OPS and a low 3 ERA. Though I think he can be better on both counts. Low .900 OPS and a sub 3 ERA and he gets MVP votes.

I do think he gets maybe 20-24 starts at 5.5 innings per start for around 120 major league innings. I think he’ll get a 2 week break missing 2 or 3 starts twice this year, which is why Barria is so valuable. They can rotate him through the rotation, giving everyone a 2 week break starting in say mid May.

4 hours ago, eligrba said:

I've never seen anything like what he is doing this spring.  If he was a Yankee, or a Red Sox, MLB and ESPN would 24/7 Ohtani updates.  I suspect that is one of the reasons he selected the Angels.

If he is able to do continue doing it this season, it will be amazing to watch.  I forgot how special he is because of his injury and his offensive struggles last season.

ESPN went crazy when Bobby Witt hit it like 450. Ohtani has cleared 460 twice. And he is a pitcher. It's kind of funny how he'll not get a peep for crushing the ball and throwing filthy pitches. Oh well. 

5 hours ago, eligrba said:

I don’t know, the Angels definitely aren’t a small market team. It is basically the perfect balance though. Low key area but with big players.

29 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 1.10.13 PM.png

👀

Funny how Kyle goes from a SP to a CF... like Ohtani can't become a spot starter, reliever or even a closer before being banished by the pitching gods?  He just admitted he has top of the line stuff but he might not be effective beyond 4 innings or so... so he belongs in CF now?

He has top of the rotation stuff but command would seem to be a function of reps. Obviously it will improve with time but there are plenty of question marks there. The one thing that has troubled me with Ohtani, since he first came over, is how hittable his fastball seems to be despite coming in near 100 mph. Even though he's looked good this spring there are still probably going to be some growing pains during the season.