• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Former Marlins exec: ‘Not one person in MLB believes Albert Pujols is age he says he is’

Makes me wonder why Arte still gave him a 10 year deal knowing his real age. Oops. I believe the main reason he didn't sign with the Marlins was due to them refusing to include a no trade clause.

The Marlins also offered CJ Wilson more money. I think 5/100 million.

48 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Pujols should jump on this opportunity and now say he is 46.  Then we would all be impressed that his big decline happened at an older age, with him now still hitting some bombs here and there at 46.

The legend becomes more legendary.

I’ll take the over on his age.

15 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Google the thing with Pujols and the Tim Brown podcast. He let a few details slip that suggested he’s 2 years older. All of that makes sense to me. 

There a number of details that make this "conspiracy theory" feasible, if not likely. Pujols' candid interviews (e.g. ^^^) are one of the pieces of evidence that make it seem likely to me. 

Historically there the been a number of dubious age deceptions or anomalies.  Especially with international players where passports are involved. Some have been innocent clerical errors or language issues. Some have been premeditated lies. 

Happens in all walks of life. Daryl F. Zanuck left home at sixteen, lied about his age and enlisted for WW1. Joan Crawford (real name Lucille LaSouer) and hordes of actresses have lied about their ages. Satchel Paige was infamous for his yarns and oblique comments about his age.

But with Albert the two year difference explains a lot, factoring in his girth and mobility. He still could have been better in the first couple of years with the Angels, but aging reflexes and musculature are inevitable factors in decline.

He needs a more forgiving environment. If  he stays in reasonable shape  he'll be a star in old timers games.

Branch Rickey at bat, Leo Durocher calling a strike.

P_20201222_113708_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

Beyond just his birth date issues, having 7 surgeries in an 8 year period ages a person as well. We didn't even get the best of Pujols any given year because of foot and knee surgeries. Even if he started with the Angels at 34 instead of 32, his career path was closer to Aaron, Mays, Robinson or Musial, players that were very productive to their age 40 season. The downward spiral was the erosion of his lower body through injury, surgery and not as much what year he was born.