• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Major League Baseball (News, Notes & Scores around the League)

Chuck

The Rays appear intent on moving on from Yoshi Tsutsugo here in the next few days. Was very solid his entire career in Japan, still pretty young. He's owed 5.5 million. Might be worthwhile to kick the tires and see if the Angels can get him for super cheap. He could solve RF for the remainder of the year if he hits to his potential.

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

The Rays appear intent on moving on from Yoshi Tsutsugo here in the next few days. Was very solid his entire career in Japan, still pretty young. He's owed 5.5 million. Might be worthwhile to kick the tires and see if the Angels can get him for super cheap. He could solve RF for the remainder of the year if he hits to his potential.

Eh if the Rays couldn’t get him going, not sure we’d have any better luck. Think I’d rather see what Ward and eventually Adell or Marsh could do when ready.

Only immediate upgrade I would prefer in RF would be someone that was absolutely elite defensively and even that might just be temporary.

Amazingly after all of 20+ at bats in AAA the Mariners now believe Jared Kelenic has amassed the necessary seasoning and he will be called up.   Absolutely no roster manipulation, no attempt to get an extra year.  No funny business at all.  

He is going to be fun to watch as a baseball fan and the possible contract squabbles will be fun to watch as an Angels fan.

23 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Amazingly after all of 20+ at bats in AAA the Mariners now believe Jared Kelenic has amassed the necessary seasoning and he will be called up.   Absolutely no roster manipulation, no attempt to get an extra year.  No funny business at all.  

He is going to be fun to watch as a baseball fan and the possible contract squabbles will be fun to watch as an Angels fan.

It was totally his "injury" that kept him in the minors to start the season. If he just would've signed the crappy extension they offered he would've been promoted already. 

1 hour ago, bloodbrother said:

Already lost the Raiders, had the Warriors move to SF, and now might lose the A's

I've seen this movie like 50 times already.   Next scene will be another new vote on some new parcel of land.. 

The As and their ballpark squabbles are the longest running soap opera in the US. 

58 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Entering today, the overall MLB slash line for hitters this season is .234/.311/.391. For hitters, has been a total of 8,127 hits and 9,447 strikeouts. What a mess right now for hitters, especially when it comes to making contact with the ball. 

You said "for hitters" in every sentence.

Holy crap, Buster Posey: .385/.461/.731 with 8 HR and a 1.7 WAR. I think he's a safe pick for Comeback Player of the Year.

He's also rising up the rank of all-time catchers. He's 12th all-time in WAR among watchers with 54.3. By year's end he should safely be 8th all-time, behind only Bench, Carter, Pudge, Fisk, Yogi, Piazza, and Torre. He's only 20.5 WAR behind Bench and if he can continue like this for another season or two and add on a few decent seasons, he could finish his career with the highest WAR for a catcher.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Holy crap, Buster Posey: .385/.461/.731 with 8 HR and a 1.7 WAR. I think he's a safe pick for Comeback Player of the Year.

He's also rising up the rank of all-time catchers. He's 12th all-time in WAR among watchers with 54.3. By year's end he should safely be 8th all-time, behind only Bench, Carter, Pudge, Fisk, Yogi, Piazza, and Torre. He's only 20.5 WAR behind Bench and if he can continue like this for another season or two and add on a few decent seasons, he could finish his career with the highest WAR for a catcher.

Massive difference in his WAR depending on where you look.  On Baseball Reference, he's only at 42.8.

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Massive difference in his WAR depending on where you look.  On Baseball Reference, he's only at 42.8.

That's probably because Fangraphs gave a huge boost to catchers a couple years ago with their pitch framing metric. I'm mixed about it - on one hand, I love that they're giving catchers credit for playing the hardest position on the field. On the other, it makes guys like Brian McCann and Russell Martin look a lot better than I remember them.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

That's probably because Fangraphs gave a huge boost to catchers a couple years ago with their pitch framing metric. I'm mixed about it - on one hand, I love that they're giving catchers credit for playing the hardest position on the field. On the other, it makes guys like Brian McCann and Russell Martin look a lot better than I remember them.

Oh, yeah, I remember Fangraphs doing that, now that you mention it.  Stuff like that is why I still just don't think WAR will ever TRULY be accepted as a go-to stat by the average fan.  No one can tell you how to calculate WAR--and there aren't even set standards for doing so.  Being off by 3 or 4 WAR over the course of a decade-plus career isn't a big deal--but in a case like Posey's, it just looks kinda silly.