• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Spring Training News & Notes Thread

Chuck

7 hours ago, stormngt said:

You are either lying or a crappy coach! If you coached or even played college, especially in basketball, you would know the importance of the mental and emotional aspect of the game.  Screw with a kids head you screw with your confidence.  He thinks too much and begins making mistakes. 

You can think Barria sucks that is your right.  However to diminish the importance of the mental and emotional part of the game?  Only a person who isn't involved major sports (particularly in basketball) would do that.

Hahahaha this really made me laugh. Have a great day man. I’m not interested in waging personal attacks. I have an imaginary game tomorrow, and have to watch some imaginary film. 

8 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Hahahaha this really made me laugh. Have a great day man. I’m not interested in waging personal attacks. I have an imaginary game tomorrow, and have to watch some imaginary film. 

I just hope you instill confidence in your players.  You seem to think its not important.  

2 minutes ago, stormngt said:

You are right to your opinion.

How come he has a better ERA as a starter than Heaney?

Look up Parker Bridwell. Results - especially in a small sample - don't always reflect one's actual ability. Barria's 2018 FIP and xFIP a good bit worse than his ERA, just like Bridwell in 2017. Both did it for 110-120ish innings in one season. Barria is interesting because after a not so great 2019, he did it again in 2020 with an FIP and xFIP that matched closer to his results. But it was only a few dozen innings, which is a lot smaller sample size than even 120. 

Basically, we don't really know how good Barria is, but there's a solid case to be made that he has had a lot more fortunate results to date than he deserved based on his ability, or is likely to be able to even pitch to again. 

45 minutes ago, stormngt said:

You are right to your opinion.

How come he has a better ERA as a starter than Heaney?

1. It's not an opinion. It's a fact that he sucked in 2019.

2. Because Heaney sucked his first few years. Over the past 2 seasons, his ERA is lower, as are most every other stat.

7 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Dump Jay. 

It's a bit surprising to me that Ward and Schebler got demoted before Jay.  Jay has really shown nothing at all so far, asides from being the proverbial "Maddon / good clubhouse guy."

As for Ward, while that sucks for him, I think it'll be good for him to get more defensive reps across the diamond - back at C, RF, LF, etc.  I think he's positioned well to be a very good "super sub" type player, but I do think he needs to work on improving his defense all around before he gets there, so this will be a good opportunity for him.

I sure hope Lagares wins that last spot over Jay.  We'll have to create one roster spot for Rojas + Lagares.  We have one open currently, with one spot needed.  Perhaps Barreto goes to the 40-man IL, or perhaps a fringe player is DFA'd.

43 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

It's a bit surprising to me that Ward and Schebler got demoted before Jay.  Jay has really shown nothing at all so far, asides from being the proverbial "Maddon / good clubhouse guy."

As for Ward, while that sucks for him, I think it'll be good for him to get more defensive reps across the diamond - back at C, RF, LF, etc.  I think he's positioned well to be a very good "super sub" type player, but I do think he needs to work on improving his defense all around before he gets there, so this will be a good opportunity for him.

I sure hope Lagares wins that last spot over Jay.  We'll have to create one roster spot for Rojas + Lagares.  We have one open currently, with one spot needed.  Perhaps Barreto goes to the 40-man IL, or perhaps a fringe player is DFA'd.

Probably just keeping Jay around until his Saturday deadline to make a decision on him.

7 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Small D3 in Minnesota. 

Most amazing ever comeback may have been in a D-2 nat’l title game in 2007.

Barton College is down 7 to Winona State with 40 sec to play.   So what happens?   Anthony Atkinson scores all ten of Barton’s points after that including a buzzer beating layup to give Barton the nat’l title.

Dude went on the play 12 seasons with the Harlem Globetrotters.

Edited by Angel Oracle

8 hours ago, Lou said:

1. It's not an opinion. It's a fact that he sucked in 2019.

2. Because Heaney sucked his first few years. Over the past 2 seasons, his ERA is lower, as are most every other stat.

It is fact that he sucked in 2019.  I will agree with you on that.  Why he sucked is open for debate.

Edited by stormngt

40 minutes ago, stormngt said:

It is fact that he sucked in 2019.  I will agree with you on that.  Why hecsucked is open for debate.

He sucked because his talent failed him, not because of some imagined slight that messed up his head. 

35 minutes ago, Lou said:

He sucked because his talent failed him, not because of some imagined slight that messed up his head. 

Like I said, that is open for debate.

What isn't open for debate is the importance to the mental and emotional parts of the game.

2 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Like I said, that is open for debate.

What isn't open for debate is the importance to the mental and emotional parts of the game.

Right, but you have no proof that Barría suffered because he started in AAA. He was bad in ST, sucked in AAA and yet, he was still called up 2 weeks into the season. 

Hundreds of players are demoted every year. If he can't handle a demotion, i don't want him anywhere near our starting rotation.

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Most amazing ever comeback may have been in a D-2 nat’l title game in 2007.

Barton College is down 7 to Winona State with 40 sec to play.   So what happens?   Anthony Atkinson scores all ten of Barton’s points after that including a buzzer beating layup to give Barton the nat’l title.

Dude went on the play 12 seasons with the Harlem Globetrotters.

Semifinals of Ca Juco championship.  Down 10 with 55 seconds to go.  Mookie Hall hits a three, steals a pass and hits another three, rips the dribble hits another three.  Frustrated LA City College turns the ball over on an in bound pass.  My center is fouled and hits both free throws.   Win by one.  LA City was 33-0 until that 55 second run.  

Most amazing comeback in my career in my career.  Hall did that several times during his career with me.

Edited by stormngt

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Right, but you have no proof that Barría suffered because he started in AAA. He was bad in ST, sucked in AAA and yet, he was still called up 2 weeks into the season. 

Hundreds of players are demoted every year. If he can't handle a demotion, i don't want him anywhere near our starting rotation.

I cant find spring training stats three years ago.  However I remember him having a very good spring training in 2019.  Can you show me if I am wrong?

14 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I cant find spring training stats three years ago.  However I remember him having a very good spring training in 2019.  Can you show me if I am wrong?

He had an era of 4.96 (worse than Chris Stratton) and a whip of 1.579. Batters had an OPS of 1.008 against him.