• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Spring Training News & Notes Thread

Chuck

9 hours ago, Lou said:

1. It's not an opinion. It's a fact that he sucked in 2019.

2. Because Heaney sucked his first few years. Over the past 2 seasons, his ERA is lower, as are most every other stat.

I will concede I do not understand most stats on pitching outside of WHIP, ERA and ERA+.

Looking at ERA. 

Heaney best season was 2015 at 3.49

Barria best season was 2018 at 3.41

Heaney 2nd best Season was 2018 at  4.15

Barria was last year at 3.62

Heaney worst season was 7.06 in 2017.

Barria worst season at 6.42.

Heaney only had one sub 4.00 ERA season.  Barria has had two.

I just do not see what is so special regarding Heaney.   He may have more talent and more upside.  However in terms of production I do not see how he is better than Barria.

All this is irrelevant.  I contend his 2019 Barria was an anomoly because he was demoted for a worst pitcher right before the regular season.  Then when called up they didn't have the confidence in him to start.  They used a "starter" with him.

Can I prove this?  No, but I know the mental and emotional approach of the game is vital in performance.  I know 22 year old kids can lose confidence easily and I know how they treated him is a classic way for a person to lose confidence. 

Now as I conceded with with a post with Strad, Barria does need to get emotionally tougher to succeed in the MLB, and he may handle this demotion (assuming that happens) better because it was a foregone conclusion he was 7th man in a 6 man rotation.  And I do believe he is a better starter than reliever. 

6 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I will concede I do not understand most stats on pitching outside of WHIP, ERA and ERA+.

Looking at ERA. 

I just do not see what is so special regarding Heaney.   He may have more talent and more upside.  However in terms of production I do not see how he is better than Barria.

All this is irrelevant.  I contend his 2019 Barria was an anomoly because he was demoted for a worst pitcher right before the regular season.  Then when called up they didn't have the confidence in him to start.  They used a "starter" with him.

Can I prove this?  No, but I know the mental and emotional approach of the game is vital in performance.  I know 22 year old kids can lose confidence easily and I know how they treated him is a classic way for a person to lose confidence. 

Now as I conceded with with a post with Strad, Barria does need to get emotionally tougher to succeed in the MLB, and he may handle this demotion (assuming that happens) better because it was a foregone conclusion he was 7th man in a 6 man rotation.  And I do believe he is a better starter than reliever. 

Stop making this about Heaney. 

7 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Looking at ERA. 

So he needs to get tougher, but they shouldn't hurt his confidence, but hes better yet didnt do as well but still needs to have his ego massaged but not too much since hes a better starter than reliever, but at the same time might be a better reliever than starter....or you're a great coach, but not a professional coach, but at the same time a great GM, while also not being a GM at all.

Did i sum that up correctly?

That makes total sense now. Sorry we questioned your ungodly talent evaluation. 

33 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Huzzah!

And to expand, with these moves, our bench is basically set - Suzuki, Pujols, Rojas, Lagares.

Rojas will likely be expected to play 1B, 2B, 3B, giving occasional days off to various hitters.  If Walsh struggles, Rojas could see a decent amount of playing time at 1B.

Fletcher will backup SS and give Iglesias the occasional day off there.

Lagares will be a key defensive sub late in a lot of games (either for Fowler or Upton, whoever is more awful) as well as the occasional spot start in CF.  I would also expect to see Lagares start in RF against a decent amount of lefty pitchers, as Fowler isn't that great as a RHH for what I recall.

Our bullpen effectively has 3 spots for 4 pitchers:  CRod, Slegers, Barria, Sandoval.

CRod seems like a lock from everything Maddon has said.  If Slegers is deemed healthy enough to make the roster, he's another lock.  The last spot I would expect to go to Sandoval over Barria, as Sandoval has looked better and our pen could use another lefty option.

It is odd that Cishek was waived.

Before 2020, he was very solid to very good for 7 of 9 seasons, including 2016-2019.

Lost his command that quickly, as 2020 was the first ever MLB season where he gave up more hits than innings pitched?

Always been a little shaky control wise though (career 3.5 BBs per 9 innings).

Edited by Angel Oracle

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

It is odd that Cishek was waived.

Before 2020, he was very solid to very good for 7 of 9 seasons, including 2016-2019.

Lost his command that quickly?

Think there might have been some luxury tax/payroll limitations in Houston after they signed Odorizzi and he was cut partially due to that.

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

I agreed he sucked in 2019.  The entire rotation sucked.

Ok, then he probably realizes that's the reason why he wasn't in the rotation. It had nothing to do with the team messing with his head. I'm sure Barría would agree. You're the only one making that argument. 

42 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

So he needs to get tougher, but they shouldn't hurt his confidence, but hes better yet didnt do as well but still needs to have his ego massaged but not too much since hes a better starter than reliever, but at the same time might be a better reliever than starter....or you're a great coach, but not a professional coach, but at the same time a great GM, while also not being a GM at all.

Did i sum that up correctly?

That makes total sense now. Sorry we questioned your ungodly talent evaluation. 

You are misinterpreting everything i am saying.  

I am saying they screwed with his head in 2019.  Thus the anomoly of his performance.

I am saying he is getting a raw deal by giving him another option year. 

I am saying he should handle this year because he wasn't blind sided and should be preparing for his role now.

Are you saying "building confidence: in a player isn't important in sports?

BTW I am undefeated as a coach on the professional level.   Granted it was only six games.

12 minutes ago, Lou said:

Ok, then he probably realizes that's the reason why he wasn't in the rotation. It had nothing to do with the team messing with his head. I'm sure Barría would agree. You're the only one making that argument. 

Are you really saying confidence isnt important?

Are you really saying after a season of success on the mlb level and be demoted the weekend before the start of the season can't  screw with a kids confidence?

Are you saying all changing his mechanics (as so many on here said Doug White was doing) doesnt screw with kids confidence?  

I do agree Barria puts the blame on himself.  I would be disappointed if he didn't. 

I do believe 2019 was an anomoly because how he was treated by White (isn't it a coincidence that every starting pitcher had down years that year)?

Edited by stormngt

Barria pretty much said he struggled with how he was used and the uncertainty that pretty much existed all season long the year he struggled.  Plenty of pitchers have said that their routines are very important to them, Barria was still very young and it got to him.  It happens.  I don't think the Angels "messed with his head" with any intent and I don't think it makes him mentally weak.  Shit just went sideways, hopefully he learned from it.

When push comes to shove Barria types will always be underrated, or maybe better said .... underappreciated.  He doesn't have head turning stuff, so he'll never get the long leash a guy throwing 95+ will.  Best he can do right now is pull a Scioscia, go one game at a time and bide his time.  Angels may have a ton of rotation openings next winter.  Best way to get one is to pitch well this year. 

3 hours ago, stormngt said:

You are misinterpreting everything i am saying.  

I am saying they screwed with his head in 2019.  Thus the anomoly of his performance.

I am saying he is getting a raw deal by giving him another option year. 

I am saying he should handle this year because he wasn't blind sided and should be preparing for his role now.

Are you saying "building confidence: in a player isn't important in sports?

BTW I am undefeated as a coach on the professional level.   Granted it was only six games.

Let me guess, fortnite?