• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Spring Training News & Notes Thread

Chuck

57 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

If he's as good as you think he is then surely we'd get a king's ransom for him in a trade, no? You'd think he would have already been traded if that were the case.

He is a back end rotation player.  Cut out sarcasm!  I have never said he is any better.  He has performed better as a starter than both Heaney and Canning during his career.  Those two may have better stuff or higher ceiling.

And I am certain they did not want to trade Barria because the whole focus of the offseason was getting starting pitcher depth.  

3 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Screwing with the kids head didnt help either.  

Ok, and now that kid has two more years under his belt.  At what point is he responsible for his own actions?  I would assume this year, right?  He was a kid two years ago, now this year when he pitches in the bigs he will have four years of experience in MLB.  

6 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Screwing with the kids head didnt help either.  

Come on. He's a professional. He was in the majors to begin the 2019 season and got absolutely shelled. He earned his demotion. Then when he was promoted a few months later, he sucked again. 

This is on him. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Come on. He's a professional. He was in the majors to begin the 2019 season and got absolutely shelled. He earned his demotion. Then when he was promoted a few months later, he sucked again. 

This is on him. 

and he was god awful in the minors that year.  over a 9 ERA if I remember correctly.  

Why do the Angels suddenly have to center their universe around Jaime Barria? If he pitches well, he's good enough to be in the rotation. If he doesn't, he shouldn't be. They can't coddle him forever, and they don't "owe" him anything. Young pitchers get pulled up and down all the time. It is also in their best interest to have a guy like Barria be in the rotation, because he can replace a guy like Heaney or Cobb, who would have some trade value on the market as viable starters for a playoff stretch. Clearly he's not one of the best 6 right now, and having options lets him work on things in the minors and stay stretched out. 

I really like the Ohtani/Sandoval piggyback pairing with Ohtani going 60-70 pitches and Sandoval going 30-40. Righty/lefty, and plays to both their strengths--really really good stuff that doesn't always play after 2 times through. The problem is you'd have to have probably 2-3 pinch hitters on standby if Ohtani bats, and time it so Sandoval doesn't have to because you forfeit the DH. 

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Screw with a guys head and he very well may not perform.  He had the best ERA on the team in 2018 and gets demoted in 2019.  He had the second best ERA on the team in 2020 and he gets demoted. 

I wish they traded him.

If he's that much of a head case, he wouldn't last long in the majors anyway. If you can't understand how the league works and can't deal with being optioned, you won't hold up in tough games.

3 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Why do the Angels suddenly have to center their universe around Jaime Barria? If he pitches well, he's good enough to be in the rotation. If he doesn't, he shouldn't be. They can't coddle him forever, and they don't "owe" him anything. Young pitchers get pulled up and down all the time. It is also in their best interest to have a guy like Barria be in the rotation, because he can replace a guy like Heaney or Cobb, who would have some trade value on the market as viable starters for a playoff stretch. Clearly he's not one of the best 6 right now, and having options lets him work on things in the minors and stay stretched out. 

I really like the Ohtani/Sandoval piggyback pairing with Ohtani going 60-70 pitches and Sandoval going 30-40. Righty/lefty, and plays to both their strengths--really really good stuff that doesn't always play after 2 times through. The problem is you'd have to have probably 2-3 pinch hitters on standby if Ohtani bats, and time it so Sandoval doesn't have to because you forfeit the DH. 

Yes. He'll be the first guy up when someone is injured and won't be stuck in the pen, which would be less than ideal for his development. He needs to stay stretched out; being a swing man isn't ideal for growth. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Ok, and now that kid has two more years under his belt.  At what point is he responsible for his own actions?  I would assume this year, right?  He was a kid two years ago, now this year when he pitches in the bigs he will have four years of experience in MLB.  

I am hoping he is more mature and has better guidance.  At least this year he didn't lose his spot in the rotation the weekend before the opener.  

This year it was  understood he was 7th out of 6.  In fact, it maybe a blessing that they do not have him start in bullpen.  

1 hour ago, Lou said:

This is on him. 

He started in AAA in 2019.  

Despite his poor season his career ERA as a starter in 4.06.

Heaney career ERA is 4.44

Canning career ERA is 4.36

Many on here say they would be ecstatic if Cobb and Quintana ERA is around 4.0.

I do concede this Spring both look awfully good.

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

If he's that much of a head case, he wouldn't last long in the majors anyway. If you can't understand how the league works and can't deal with being optioned, you won't hold up in tough games.

4.06 as a starter.  That's better than Heaney and Canning career numbers.  

I am a big believer in the mental approach to sports.  Screwing with a young kids head (professional or not) can impact what's in their head.

3 minutes ago, stormngt said:

He started in AAA in 2019.  

Despite his poor season his career ERA as a starter in 4.06.

Heaney career ERA is 4.44

Canning career ERA is 4.36

Many on here say they would be ecstatic if Cobb and Quintana ERA is around 4.0.

I do concede this Spring both look awfully good.

You should really stop using raw ERA. 

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

You should really stop using raw ERA. 

All three play (Heaney, Canning, and Barria) in Anaheim stadium.  All three play in the same road stadiums.  How could ERA and ERA plus be much different from each other.

Baseball reference doesn't even give ERA plus.  What other stats should I be using?

3 hours ago, Lou said:

He pitched in teams 13th game. It's not like he was banished to the minors. 

Oh, and he sucked. 

1.  It f'd with his head

2.  Team best ERA in 2018

3. Team 2nd best team ERA  2020.

4.  ERA as a career starter is 4.06 better than Heaney and Canning.  Has Heaney ever had an ERA as good as Barria was in 2018 and 2020?

5 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

When the hell did they baby Barria?