• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Spring Training News & Notes Thread

Chuck

4 hours ago, ScottT said:

Good grief. I'm rooting for Adell more than ever. More than most.

I'm a big fan of Adell. He was rushed last year and I think pressure got to him. Seems like most prefer Marsh more but he seems to always have nagging injuries. Adell has looked better at the plate this spring but defense needs lot of work. Now we have Fowler in RF who has done nothing in last 3 years. St Louis packed his bags and drove him to airport and gave him bag full of money. I think we should Harry Chiti St Louis and have Fowler be PTBNL. 

5 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

I think most here will conveniently ignore that. A 35 year old terrible player is starting in right field instead. If that doesn't wake Adell up, nothing will.

The Angels opening-day lineup will have two terrible players in it.

Adell was never going to be the opening day right fielder. 

Once again, he is TWENTY-ONE YEARS OLD.

If we had a larger text format and a tool that made words flash I'd use that instead because apparently THAT is being "conveniently ignored".

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

If we had a larger text format and a tool that made words flash I'd use that instead because apparently THAT is being "conveniently ignored".

Nor saying Adell should start in RF and year in minors will be help for. We have better players in camp that should be in RF instead of Fowler.

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

So what? He's been talked up for years. What about these guys?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlbs-top-25-players-under-25-tatis-acuna-soto-battle-for-top-spot-yankees-torres-in-top-five/

They are young too and they are good to great. There's also the fact that the Angels chose to play Fowler over him. That's how bad Adell is. I have no issue with the fact that he is 21 and stinks. The problem is he is not supposed to stink. He was supposed to be ready by now. He will turn 22 next month.

10 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlbs-top-25-players-under-25-tatis-acuna-soto-battle-for-top-spot-yankees-torres-in-top-five/

They are young too and they are good to great. There's also the fact that the Angels chose to play Fowler over him. That's how bad Adell is.

You are missing a huge difference between those guys and Adell.  They’ve been in professional baseball since 15 or 16, and their life was 100% focused on baseball as opposed to being an American kid growing up and going to high school and living what we would call a normal life.  It’s simply an awful comparison.  

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You are missing a huge difference between those guys and Adell.  They’ve been in professional baseball since 15 or 16, and their life was 100% focused on baseball as opposed to being an American kid growing up and going to high school and living what we would call a normal life.  It’s simply an awful comparison.  

This isn't even the argument. 

It's the Mike Trout or Brandon Wood thing again. 

28 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

They are young too and they are good to great. There's also the fact that the Angels chose to play Fowler over him. That's how bad Adell is. I have no issue with the fact that he is 21 and stinks. The problem is he is not supposed to stink. He was supposed to be ready by now. He will turn 22 next month.

Everybody is different, Adell is a work in progress. He was rushed up last year and was not ready. He needs year in minors to work on his game. Fowler will be gone if he does not produce and Schebler, Lagares or Ward will be in RF.

13 hours ago, ScottT said:

It really sounds like Chris Rodriguez (yeah, I typed his first and last name. ... fight me) ... is destined for the bullpen.  

I'm sure Stephen C Smith has ranked him too low on the Angels prospect list because of it. I already threatened to fight him... allegedly... over Francisco Rodriguez's prospect ranking. Good times.

I'd like to see him develop as a starter... of course... but I think he could make a positive impact in the bullpen immediately. And... with his injury history... and just watching him pitch.  Long term, I dunno.  So, I understand if the Angels roll the dice now.

He is the 55 year-old bat boy.

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

Plate Appearances (Foreign and Minor Leagues only):

Jo Adell - 1002

Acuna Jr - 1212

Tatis Jr - 1375

Guerrero Jr 1402

Bo Bichette - 1445

Gleyber Torres - 1602 (That's the quoted article's top 5)

Mike Trout - 1326

David Fletcher - 2032

Adell just needs a little more time.

(EDIT: I left Soto out because I think he went to the same birth certificate doctor as Pujols.) 

7 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Adell was supposed to be ready and a starter by now. He is behind what the scouts/Angels thought. ETAs had him at 2020 or 2021. Dude is nowhere near those projections. His age was brought up and I showed why that's not an argument. He has been flat out disappointing so far.

Cut the bull shit trolling!

Adell was expected to start in AAA in 2020.  He was rushed into the majors because of Covid.  With the loss of a year of minor league development he has to be in AAA this year.

You can bitch if he isnt in the majors in 2022.  But this year everything is going as expected!

10 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Adell was supposed to be ready and a starter by now. He is behind what the scouts/Angels thought. ETAs had him at 2020 or 2021. Dude is nowhere near those projections. His age was brought up and I showed why that's not an argument. He has been flat out disappointing so far.

If there was no Covid, he was supposed to be starter by now.  We had Covid.  Wait a year before the bitchin.

Nah, I am allowed to think a guy that has been a top 5 prospect for years now should be good. Maybe he remembers how to play baseball this year and gets called up and plays well. Maybe he spends all year in AAA and actually hits and fields well and starts in 2022 and stays there. His fielding is abysmal and looks foolish at the plate in his 130 or so appearances. He hit better in Spring training but those stats don't matter and he still looked like he never caught a ball in his life. Still waiting on that Trout, Adell, Marsh outfield that's been talked about for years. If the Angels had someone better in RF starting opening day, it wouldn't be as bad. Upton is in his last year so an OF spot will be open. It's there for Adell but so far, he doesn't want it.

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

Realist-ing as per usual...     

Never mind he missed half a season at 20 because of a leg injury and then this Covid thing happened last year.   "He was supposed to be ready"..  Because, well .. fans say so.

11 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Nah, I am allowed to think a guy that has been a top 5 prospect for years now should be good. 

By years you mean last year.   He's been a BBA pre-season top 5 guy all of once, 2020.... when there was no minor league season.

Adell has played all of 76 minor league games since the start of the 2019...  76... lol

8 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Nah, I am allowed to think a guy that has been a top 5 prospect for years now should be good. Maybe he remembers how to play baseball this year and gets called up and plays well. Maybe he spends all year in AAA and actually hits and fields well and starts in 2022 and stays there. His fielding is abysmal and looks foolish at the plate in his 130 or so appearances. He hit better in Spring training but those stats don't matter and he still looked like he never caught a ball in his life. Still waiting on that Trout, Adell, Marsh outfield that's been talked about for years. If the Angels had someone better in RF starting opening day, it wouldn't be as bad. Upton is in his last year so an OF spot will be open. It's there for Adell but so far, he doesn't want it.

@beatlesrule you're approaching troll level defcon 2 with your Jo Adell takes. 

It would behoove you to pump the brakes a bit on these takes before your posts start getting caught in our BS sifter, Claude Watchlist net.

I don't think anyone was louder about Adell not being close to ready than I was last year BEFORE the season.  And lord knows I was making fun of his defense when he did get call up, but what little we saw of the kid during ST showed a significantly improved approach at the plate.  He will always have a lot of swing in miss to his game -- but he showed the first semblance of plate discipline maybe ever.    If he can continue to milk those walks, lay off balls nowhere near the zone he's got a chance to cash on on his stupid level athleticism.

Again, I was his biggest critic going into last year -- I'm a lot less concerned today than I was then.... Now we have to see if it carries over once the season starts. 

It's the plate discipline that will make or break him.