• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Spring Training News & Notes Thread

Chuck

Looking at the roster...

We have 1 40-man spot available, which will go to one of Lagares/Rojas.

Another spot can open up with Barreto being put on the 60-day IL (not sure if his injury warrants it, but it could be used to create space), or possibly DFA'ing someone like Bard, Mayfield, etc.

Based on the movement, I would expect Sandoval to be in the bullpen as a second lefty-reliever, and it seems like CRod may have a good shot too, given everyone that was just re-assigned.

Opening man roster:

Catcher:  Stassi, Suzuki

IF:  Walsh, Fletcher, Iglesias, Rendon, Rojas, Pujols

OF:  Trout, Upton, Fowler, Lagares

DH/P:  Ohtani

SP:  Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Ohtani, Quintana, Cobb

BP:  Iglesias, Mayers, Buttrey, Claudio, Sandoval, CRod, Guerra, Slegers.

CRod could be optioned once Pena is ready.

2 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I'm just really happy for Rojas plus I think it's the right choice. I can see Ward as 4th OF. Slegers wins one spot and will need a long man Barria or Sandoval. Chris Rod with his stuff wins last spot for me.

Our 4th OF likely needs to be able to play CF, unless we want Fowler to do that (and based on what we have seen of him in RF, we do not).  Lagares seems to have a really strong shot.  Unfortunate for Ward, but it's just a numbers crunch.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Our 4th OF likely needs to be able to play CF, unless we want Fowler to do that (and based on what we have seen of him in RF, we do not).  Lagares seems to have a really strong shot.  Unfortunate for Ward, but it's just a numbers crunch.

Best case scenario at this point is probably Fowler sucking so bad that he gets releases quickly and Ward gets called up to replace him. 

Just now, Pancake Bear said:

Best case scenario at this point is probably Fowler sucking so bad that he gets releases quickly and Ward gets called up to replace him. 

Yeah, it's a shame.  Fowler is guaranteed a spot but he looks pretty bad, which is how he looked last year too.  If he's terrible, hopefully Minasian will pull the plug and move on to one of a number of other options.  

Also, regarding Rojas - he must have made some significant improvements over the offseason.  If the FO felt he was going to seize a roster spot, I imagine they would have protected him from the rule 5 draft, but they did not.

Regardless, very excited for him.  He's had a really solid spring and certainly earned his spot.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Also, regarding Rojas - he must have made some significant improvements over the offseason.  If the FO felt he was going to seize a roster spot, I imagine they would have protected him from the rule 5 draft, but they did not.

Regardless, very excited for him.  He's had a really solid spring and certainly earned his spot.

Or it was a calculated risk since he’s. Year older than the last year he went unprotected and unclaimed. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Or it was a calculated risk since he’s. Year older than the last year he went unprotected and unclaimed. 

Sure, that's possible too, or perhaps a combination of both - a calculated risk to some degree, and Rojas showing up to camp looking more impressive than they last saw him.

Anyway, we could certainly use another lefty bat, so let's hope he can hit like he has in the minors.

33 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

How many times will we need someone to play CF? Maddon has said Ward could play CF. Maddon has been pushing for Ward last week, writing is on the wall. Just like I said Rojas and people saying he cannot play SS. It will be Ward because he can play many positions has more power. Once every 3 weeks or so Fowler can play CF. People mocked me about Chris Rod also and now he has a very good chance to make team. If Chavez make team it will prove ST numbers do not matter.

1 minute ago, Angels 1961 said:

How many times will we need someone to play CF? Maddon has said Ward could play CF. Maddon has been pushing for Ward last week, writing is on the wall. Just like I said Rojas and people saying he cannot play SS. It will be Ward because he can play many positions has more power. Once every 3 weeks or so Fowler can play CF. People mocked me about Chris Rod also and now he has a very good chance to make team. If Chavez make team it will prove ST numbers do not matter.

Ward has not played a single game in CF in the minors or in spring training.  

That said, Ward could make it, which would mean Fowler is the backup CF.  I would hope for our sake, Mike Trout plays 162 games, because Fowler can barely play RF, lol.

As far as clearing 40-man roster spots...

- I wonder if they put Barreto on the 60-day IL. If he's gonna be out 4-6 weeks from earlier this week and you add another 1-2 weeks for a rehab stint, it seems like that'd be 60 days.

- It seems like Bard is a prime DFA candidate, especially since he's not even fully healthy.

- I wonder if they try and sneak Quijada and Mayfield through waivers.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He was optioned to minor league camp today. 

Ah, didn’t realize that. Surprising. So what happens when Iglesias or Fletcher need a day off or come out of the game. I guess Rojas covers second? Sounds like Rojas has to make the team. 

A month ago... even two weeks ago... I would have been surprised.  Now, not so much.  Fletcher can play other spots.... Ward has played 3B.  

Unless two guys are a little banged up, but not really DL worthy,  I don't think it's a big deal not to have a more versatile defensive player like Rengifo. Even if that happens, the Angels will figure it out and make a move.

I find it interesting that these decisions are seemingly being made so early.  Most years theres a spot not really decided... at least publicly... til the last minute

4 hours ago, stormngt said:

When the hell did they baby Barria?

YOU are saying they messed with his head and it’s somehow messed him up, and it’s 100% their fault. This stuff happens all the time. Guys have to perform no matter what. He got sent down. He stunk. Boo hoo, bounce back. Show they made a mistake. Also, getting sent down after not performing early and tanking as a result does not inspire confidence about the ability to pitch in a high leverage game. If you believe that sequence of events messed him up permanently, that says something about their ability to trust him. You are determined to fault them for his shortcomings. At the end of the day, his fate is in his hands. 

If Trout got injured, Fowler or Ward would probably fill in and they'd immediately option a relief pitcher. Heck. Fletcher could fill in. Rojas and Rendon could play 2B. Ward could play 3B... heck, even 2B.  

Ward is actually sounding like as good of an option as Lagares.... because they are gonna have 14 pitchers.

Multiple injuries in a game rarely happen 

27 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

YOU are saying they messed with his head and it’s somehow messed him up, and it’s 100% their fault. This stuff happens all the time. Guys have to perform no matter what. He got sent down. He stunk. Boo hoo, bounce back. Show they made a mistake. Also, getting sent down after not performing early and tanking as a result does not inspire confidence about the ability to pitch in a high leverage game. If you believe that sequence of events messed him up permanently, that says something about their ability to trust him. You are determined to fault them for his shortcomings. At the end of the day, his fate is in his hands. 

Bitch all you want.  Your athletic experience must have ended in HS because the mental approach of the game is very important.

I do not mean to be condescending, but quite honestly your bitching appears more a like a troll I stead of intellectual. 

I also notice you didnt want to comment that Barria career ERA as a starter is better than Heaney and Canning.  Even with his bad season!

the thought of having a pen bad enough to where Chavez makes the team is just mind blowing.  

In years past, the construction of the roster at least made a lot of sense.  This year, I've been scratching my head a lot.  

I guess the silver lining is that previous off seasons over the past few years made some sense to me and that shit didn't work so...

In other words, what the fuck do I know.  I hope not much.