• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Four MLB players who could request a trade, including Mike Trout and a forgotten Yankees player

gotbeer

This team is good. Enough of the narrative that we’re shit. We went 17-12 in September last year. We just got off to a slow start. Who knows what we would have done in a full season. We got superstars, X factors, and potential superstars waiting in the wings. 

We fixed the biggest problem that plagued us last season and that’s improving the bullpen. How many games did we blow last year? I don’t know the number but it was a shit ton. There has been this narrative that all the Angels need to do is sign 8 starting pitchers and then we reach the postseason. That’s anything but the truth. We improved every aspect of our team this offseason. We are as deep as we’ve ever been in recent memory. 

So let’s pump the breaks on this whole Trout wants to leave narrative. Trouts not stupid. He knows the potential this team has. Let’s just wait and see what happens this upcoming year because the West is wide open and we have a solid ass team. Maybe the best team in the AL West....

It's a stupid article.  Trout has not requested a trade and there is absolutely no indication that he will.

The whole thing is basically, "Imagine if Trout asked for a trade."

OK, and let's imagine Trout doesn't. . .because he hasn't. . . and again there is no indication at all that he will.

Also, where is the "imagine if Rendon asked for a trade" article?

39 minutes ago, Justin said:

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a bigger example of clickbait. All that was missing from the headline was “Try not to gasp when you see #2.” 

I can’t wait for the season to start or the pandemic to end. This offseason blows. 

The following chart “will make you” understand all the stupid buzz words they use for clicks.  It’s too cute.

220A5AF2-D545-44CC-8A45-DAE8741890B1.png

2 hours ago, mmc said:

If he hasn't by now, I don't think he ever will.  Love Trout but my one issue with the guy has always been that he just doesn't seem to get as bothered by losing as I wish he did.  Him putting pressure on the front office would go a long way.  I see Rendon requesting a trade well before Trout ever gets to that point.

Only A holes talks to the media.  People with character talk to the person directly.

52 minutes ago, mmc said:

If he hasn't by now, I don't think he ever will.  Love Trout but my one issue with the guy has always been that he just doesn't seem to get as bothered by losing as I wish he did.  Him putting pressure on the front office would go a long way.  I see Rendon requesting a trade well before Trout ever gets to that point.

I totally understand where you're coming from on this @mmc, but I think it frustrates us fans more than the actual players.

Here's another way to look at this.

Imagine getting paid hundreds of millions of dollars to do what you love to do at your dream job where you get to compete against other companies in a team effort, a job that you've loved since a kid. A job that you love getting up in the morning to go to.

A job where you have amazing colleagues, direct managers and upper management. Most of which have become great friends of yours. A job where you have a short work commute.

A job that has afforded you to live in your dream home with the love of your life & child, a job that you also get 3 1/2 months off over the winter & holidays with family before going back to work in the spring. 

Now imagine this for one second.

Despite the fact that you're recognized as the best in your field across 30 businesses -- a handful of your colleagues have worked their tails off and you've received tremendous accolades for the great job that you've done -- you unfortunately weren't able to win the award as best company in your vertical based on the overall numbers against 29 other companies. This was due to a few reasons, but mostly things completely out of your control and the fact that other company's staff were collectively better, had some better breaks along the way and had more $$ to invest in greater talent. Some of that was the fault of upper management's unwillingness to spend like some of the other companies, this is a known fact. But the amount of love you have for your job & respect that you have for your colleagues, in addition to all of the other factors mentioned above -- the end result doesn't outweigh the love you have for your job, your colleagues and the new year in which you can try again at winning the ultimate prize. 

Don't discount what really matters to these players. I'm guessing for most of them the W/L have no bearing on their lives, especially considering how blessed they are to play a game they've loved since childhood, while collecting a check that most people would dream of getting, setting them up for an early retirement to spend with their loved ones. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm guessing for most of them the W/L have no bearing on their lives, especially considering how blessed they are to play a game they've loved since childhood, while collecting a check that most people would dream of getting, setting them up for an early retirement to spend with their loved ones. 

All valid points, Chuck, but...

That's why only a small handful achieve what people like Michael Jordan and Tom Brady have. I don't know if Trout has that same kind of drive (not saying he doesn't).  And as we all know - he can't have the same impact those two did because of the sport he plays.  Never-the-less, I think for some it's all about championships and that separates them from most of the others playing professional sports.

Edited by T.G.

24 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The Angels aren’t the Rockies or the Pirates or Brewers or some small market team that needs everything to go right. 

The Angels are a big market team that will always have a chance to contend and only be bad basically when everything goes wrong. 

What’s happened lately, I would argue, is everything has gone wrong. 

They’ve had a lot of injuries, a lot of missed prospects and a lot of free agents who weren’t merely below average but horrendous. If Cahill, Harvey and Teheran had even replicated what they’d done the previous year (forget improving) the narrative would be a lot different. 

They also had a player die in the middle of the season. 

Anyway, the point is I think Trout believes the Angels will do what it takes to give them a chance. Just because it hasn’t worked doesn’t mean they haven’t tried. 

Also, he’s happy. He likes the people, likes the area and gets paid a ton of money. 

Two SP have died mid-season 

6 hours ago, mmc said:

Where does this information come from?

We are lucky to have someone like Trout on Angels. Besides being one of the greatest of all time he has great character. I truly believe he wants to win but as an Angel. In sports today many players NBA NFL request trades and want to form super teams. That's fine and have a right to do it thru free agency or trades. Fans of any sport want your team to win. During baseball season the games get you away for 3 and half hours a day. Frustrating times losing a close game but we all comeback the next day. After 5 losing seasons with Angels how many of us feel this could be the year things change. How many want to play meaningful games in September. I for one feel this year Angels will. 

Typical idle speculation without any substantial quotes or interview material. Just meant to generate attention and stir the pot.So much for fact based journalism.

If they can create a narrative for him leaving, many more can be created for him staying.

The main thing to look at is his character over time. There have been dark days and bad team  seasons in his tenure. When he extended he put his faith in the organization to build a great team over time. I doubt he expected immediate gratification. He could easily have gone anywhere he wanted for similar benefits tweaked as fit the situation. He's an astute student of the game and has thorough knowledge of the teams, players and chemistry that would work best for him. He chose to stay and work towards an evolving payoff. A team first, loyal philosophy that fans appreciate.

Clearly he's happy with his life away from the game. Elite residential situations and convivial lifestyle. Change may or may not make things better or worse, but he seems content and settled.

Trade speculation is one thing, but trying to read the mind of people without factual substantiation is not serious content. Even if it generates clicks and arguments.

P_20201224_222627_vHDR_Auto.jpg

7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I totally understand where you're coming from on this @mmc, but I think it frustrates us fans more than the actual players.

Here's another way to look at this.

Imagine getting paid hundreds of millions of dollars to do what you love to do at your dream job where you get to compete against other companies in a team effort, a job that you've loved since a kid. A job that you love getting up in the morning to go to.

A job where you have amazing colleagues, direct managers and upper management. Most of which have become great friends of yours. A job where you have a short work commute.

A job that has afforded you to live in your dream home with the love of your life & child, a job that you also get 3 1/2 months off over the winter & holidays with family before going back to work in the spring. 

Now imagine this for one second.

Despite the fact that you're recognized as the best in your field across 30 businesses -- a handful of your colleagues have worked their tails off and you've received tremendous accolades for the great job that you've done -- you unfortunately weren't able to win the award as best company in your vertical based on the overall numbers against 29 other companies. This was due to a few reasons, but mostly things completely out of your control and the fact that other company's staff were collectively better, had some better breaks along the way and had more $$ to invest in greater talent. Some of that was the fault of upper management's unwillingness to spend like some of the other companies, this is a known fact. But the amount of love you have for your job & respect that you have for your colleagues, in addition to all of the other factors mentioned above -- the end result doesn't outweigh the love you have for your job, your colleagues and the new year in which you can try again at winning the ultimate prize. 

Don't discount what really matters to these players. I'm guessing for most of them the W/L have no bearing on their lives, especially considering how blessed they are to play a game they've loved since childhood, while collecting a check that most people would dream of getting, setting them up for an early retirement to spend with their loved ones. 

Don't forget being able to say I've got 20, 30 or 40 years with the company.  Not everyone gets to claim those kinds of numbers.