• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

21 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

I think it’s still too early to pass judgment on Jackson and Adams.

I disagree.

They both have major hit tool and strikeout issues. I don't see that getting ironed out, and it's arguably the hardest thing to iron out. Teams have shown they can help players get to power or, for pitchers, re-work pitches in pitch labs. Teams haven't really been able to crack approach/hit tool issues, and I doubt the Angels will be at the forefront of figuring that out when someone does figure it out.

15 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Depth!

Now do the infield.

I think we should be good in the INF with Tyler Wade, Taylor Ward, Matt Thaiss, Luis Rengifo, Jack Mayfield, Andrew Velazquez, Jose Rojas and my favorite Brendon Davis.

The fact that Dillon Thomas can play all three outfield spots well and he's got some power, speed and gets a decent amount of walks will really help our outfield depth. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 12.54.20 PM.png

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think we should be good in the INF with Tyler Wade, Taylor Ward, Matt Thaiss, Luis Rengifo, Jack Mayfield, Andrew Velazquez, Jose Rojas and my favorite Brendon Davis.

The fact that Dillon Thomas can play all three outfield spots well and he's got some power, speed and gets a decent amount of walks will really help our outfield depth. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 12.54.20 PM.png

On 12/14/2021 at 2:19 PM, Taylor said:

Fun Fact: Women are born with all the eggs they'll ever have.

That's insensitive. I think you mean, "future birthing people, not women." Better check your privilege and stop playing into the patriarchy. 

Obviously, you know I'm messing around and that I don't care about that at all. 

I do care about fun facts though, and it blows my mind that when my wife was 9 months pregnant with my daughter, that my granddaughter was also in there. Three generations inside of one body. Incredible. 

2 hours ago, Revad said:

The Athletic did a list of Rule 5 potential picks teams could lose and the Angels’ was Robinson Pina.  Hopefully he slides through.

I've mentioned several times that I think he's the most likely to be picked.  A shitty team will convert him to relief and he's got the stuff to succeed.  It may not work if they can't get his command to turn a corner but if it does he'll be dynamic.  

Pina is pretty much exactly what the modern form of the rule 5 draft is good for.

The Angels keep rolling him out as a starter, and he's definitely making the adjustments and experiencing some success. But still, he likely needs two or three more years of development before he's a major league starting pitcher (by which time he's 24 or 25) and the payout is still only that of a back end starter, more than likely.

And they're keeping him in the rotation because quite frankly, the organization lacks the depth to move him to the bullpen. 

Whereas if he gets picked in the rule 5, he likely spends 2022 as a mop up option, and is ready to be a lockdown middle reliever to start 2023. That's not more valuable than a backend starter, but it does shave a year off of his developmental timeline. And whoever picks him likely needs the unique circumstances of:

a. They aren't planning on contending in 2022.

b. They have the necessary farm depth that they can take a chance on Pina as a reliever, rather then developing him slowly as a starter the way the Angels have. 

I'd look for Pina to get scooped up by Texas, KC, Pittsburgh or Colorado. 

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I've watched that video enough times now to notice how frustrated hitters are when they missed his fastball. His off-speed pitchers were so effective that they're looking for them, and keying on them, particularly with two strikes, which isn't out of the ordinary. 

And when the curve does come, they couldn't hit it anyway. 

Too good in AA and AAA to require developmental time there. I don't think the results at the major league level were very reflective of his abilities as he was thrown into the deep end against contenders before COVID. 

My feelings wouldn't be hurt if he was the 6th starter.