• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Guns

Adam

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

A few days before I saw this thread, I watched "The Edge" (where Anthony hopkins has to kill a bear). So then I watched the revenant afterwards.

So of course I nerded out, and started looking up bear guns.

You really do need heavy, heavy firepower. Dirty harry handgun, in calibre I have no idea exists (for sure not the normal stuff like 9mm, 40 cal). And rifle wise, an AR wont do it either.... 308 might even be light

So yes. Ive heard bear spray is legit.

Id still prefer a firearm, but it better be something designed for bears. Not people

My dad was a musician in the Air Force back in the Vietnam era. They would play gigs several days a week pretty much everywhere up and down the west coast. Some were on-post (formal events, welcome back stuff, retirement parties, etc...), some off-post sort of public relations stuff. They did an off-post gig up in Alaska once (don’t remember where exactly), but it was basically a towny bar. He said everyone was carrying HEAVY revolvers on their hip. After the gig he hung out for awhile and asked about it. The locals told him basically everyone carried a 44 mag, as it was the only revolver caliber readily available that had a good chance of stopping a bear.

Just now, Don said:

My dad was a musician in the Air Force back in the Vietnam era. They would play gigs several days a week pretty much everywhere up and down the west coast. Some were on-post (formal events, welcome back stuff, retirement parties, etc...), some off-post sort of public relations stuff. They did an off-post gig up in Alaska once (don’t remember where exactly), but it was basically a towny bar. He said everyone was carrying HEAVY revolvers on their hip. After the gig he hung out for awhile and asked about it. The locals told him basically everyone carried 44 mag, as it was the only revolver caliber readily available that had a good chance of stopping a bear.

Yeah, sounds about right.

I was up in the arctic once, in a place thats crawling with polar bears. (Thats what I went up to see). Same thing there. Everyone had these huge rifles everywhere you went.

55 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

Picked up a Beretta 92fs a couple weeks ago. Surprisingly it only took a week and a half to arrive at the shop. Finding 9mm hollow point is the hard part. 

Extremely jealous of @ten ocho recon scout and @Jason. I can’t purchase off roster so a P365 is unobtanium to me. 

Conceals very well. The 92fs is a great gun. In the early 90s I bought my first pistol and really wanted a Beretta (yes Lethal Weapon was an influence). I didn't have that much so I settled on the Taurus PT 92 clone and it has been an outstanding gun.  

IMG_4484.JPG

1 minute ago, Lhalo said:

Hopefully the courts overturn CA's microstamp nonsense. Screw this state.

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/renna-v-becerra-second-amendment-challenge-to-california-handgun-roster-laws-regulations

The handgun roster makes zero sense. Even if a gun existed that was micro stamped all it takes is a simple change or filing down on the firing pin which would take two minutes. This is nothing more than a backdoor handgun ban. With the Heller case stating that commonly owned firearms are protected under the 2A, I don't see how the California AG has a case to stand on with this

Jason any idea with everything going on if the CCW process in CA has been delayed?  Not necessarily interested I just remember when I did training sessions a few years ago the trainer mentioned he would gladly help anyone interested with the paper work and process but recommended they start ASAP as it could take about 6 months. 

1 hour ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Jason any idea with everything going on if the CCW process in CA has been delayed?  Not necessarily interested I just remember when I did training sessions a few years ago the trainer mentioned he would gladly help anyone interested with the paper work and process but recommended they start ASAP as it could take about 6 months. 

It varies based on your county. Some counties will not issue them. I know San Bernardino now has a 4 full time officers assigned just for CCW processing. 

15 hours ago, Lhalo said:

Picked up a Beretta 92fs a couple weeks ago. Surprisingly it only took a week and a half to arrive at the shop. Finding 9mm hollow point is the hard part. 

Extremely jealous of @ten ocho recon scout and @Jason. I can’t purchase off roster so a P365 is unobtanium to me. 

Check online. You can buy private party..... youre just gonna REALLY pay for it.

But man, I have to be honest, they are worth it. Im not a huge gun guy, i grabbed one after the simi valley(?) bar shooting a few years ago. Hadn't carried offduty in years, but changed after that. Its not a gimmick at all. Just a perfect blend of conceal and real.

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Check online. You can buy private party..... youre just gonna REALLY pay for it.

But man, I have to be honest, they are worth it. Im not a huge gun guy, i grabbed one after the simi valley(?) bar shooting a few years ago. Hadn't carried offduty in years, but changed after that. Its not a gimmick at all. Just a perfect blend of conceal and real.

A buddy of mine traded a Glock 19X  straight up for a $3,000 AR. He paid $550 for the Glock. Supply and demand at its worst. The issue is the stupid roster as it isn’t right that someone is limited to purchasing the gun that the state deems worthy. California should have the same choices as every other American. That’s like going to the library, asking for a book and the librarian tells you that she doesn’t want you to have that book but hands you one that she believes is just as good. It’s important that a gun owner be comfortable with their gun and proficient with it. Settling for something because the state removes most options will not allow someone to accomplish that. 

Edited by Jason

On 11/11/2020 at 5:52 PM, tdawg87 said:

What's a good handgun for a beginner?

I mean, something that I'd keep for years, but is relatively easy to learn to shoot and is also not terribly expensive. I'm not a "gun person" but I support 2A and wouldn't mind having a basic weapon for protection. 

Yes, I'm serious.

I would not recommend a gun for someone in your position. Bouts of depression and regular alcohol consumption does not mix well with gun ownership.