Jump to content

It's pretty quiet out there considering we are looking for a GM or more.


Recommended Posts

Any new articles regarding our search?  If Dave was really the favorite, I would think he'd be interviewed already.  Maybe we are looking at someone who's team is still playing.

All I know is that the Angels better not delay their decision and let players get picked up before we have a GM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd love to see it but..... Those are process driven people.  We have an owner that fired a process driven guy months after saying what he wanted to see now were "wins" and who the team's "presid

It could be because they are not doing anything. 

The only real rule is about the World Series, so you see a lot of stuff happen right before or right after the WS (sometimes on an off day). And the Angels are doing a disturbingly good job of no

Posted Images

If we look at the final 4 teams remaining in the playoffs, we can see the impact of poaching someone from Friedman's "tree."  

Dodgers - Andrew Friedman

Rays - the team Friedman built and passed on to his successors

Braves - Anthropoulos, who spent time working under Friedman

Astros - James Click, who spent almost a decade working under Friedman in TB.

We really need to hire someone from Friedman's tree.  The results speak for themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'd love to see it but.....

Those are process driven people.  We have an owner that fired a process driven guy months after saying what he wanted to see now were "wins" and who the team's "president" says he deserves to be a part of the process. 

Arte is the biggest obstacle in signing someone from that tree.

i'm not doubting it, but could you provide the quote or link from carpino. i'd be interested to see the full context. that does sound upsetting from the initial statement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i'm not doubting it, but could you provide the quote or link from carpino. i'd be interested to see the full context. that does sound upsetting from the initial statement.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/09/30/angels-president-something-is-not-right-in-our-organization/

Bottom third.  I won't quote the bit so Fletcher gets credit for the click but also so you can decide what the context is for yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

I think naming a new GM during the playoffs would be frowned upon as it would take some of the focus away from the games.

Seems like there used to be a rule that you could announce between series, on a day when nothing was scheduled...maybe I dreamed that....

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Seems like there used to be a rule that you could announce between series, on a day when nothing was scheduled...maybe I dreamed that....

The only real rule is about the World Series, so you see a lot of stuff happen right before or right after the WS (sometimes on an off day).

And the Angels are doing a disturbingly good job of not leaking what they’re up to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/09/30/angels-president-something-is-not-right-in-our-organization/

Bottom third.  I won't quote the bit so Fletcher gets credit for the click but also so you can decide what the context is for yourself.

i had read your comment incorrectly, i read it as carpino believed he should be a part of the process and not arte should be. i have to agree with carpino on this. i think every team has an owner that is part of the process. i think it would be relatively naive to think otherwise. i don't think that means they are all jerry jones either, which i don't believe arte is either. the part i have a problem with and did, as many others, at the time was arte getting impatient and more likely petulant and nixing the pederson deal. if the owner wants to be a part of the process, then fine, but don't get involved in the minutia of executing the process.

edit: thanks for posting fletcher's article again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really hoping to see the Angels radio silence result in hiring someone of realize anonymity.

A name that most fans have never heard of is Gerry Hunsicker.

Think of Hunsicker this way: the way GM's bring in players to build a winner, is the way Hunsicker brings in front office execs who build winners. And yet he remains shrouded behind the scenes and stats out of the media limelight.

He's 70 years old and has never been a high profile baseball personality. But he's been a behind the scenes whiz for a while now. The hugely successful Astros teams of the early and mid 2000's, he built. He left for Tampa Bay in 2004 and basically hand picked and mentored Andrew Friedman and the entire front office there. The list of guys he's scouted out and hired, are now all the who's who of front office execs in the baseball world.

After the group led by Magic Johnson purchased the Dodgers, guess who they basically purchased immediately to build their front office? That's right, Hunsicker. And it was Hunsicker that convinced Friedman to jump ship and Hunsicker who has since continued to build that highly successful baseball think tank. 

His fingerprints are all over MLB front offices. 

But I think chances are, it'll be Dombrowski. Moreno wants to win, and Dombrowski wins. In the same way Maddon was corrected to the Halos through informed sources before he was even let go by Chicago, Dombrowski has been corrected to them before Eppler was even let go. That and Dombrowski already has a relationship with senior advisors and has worked with overly involved owners before.... Basically all the pieces fit.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ukyah said:

i had read your comment incorrectly, i read it as carpino believed he should be a part of the process and not arte should be. i have to agree with carpino on this. i think every team has an owner that is part of the process. i think it would be relatively naive to think otherwise. i don't think that means they are all jerry jones either, which i don't believe arte is either. the part i have a problem with and did, as many others, at the time was arte getting impatient and more likely petulant and nixing the pederson deal. if the owner wants to be a part of the process, then fine, but don't get involved in the minutia of executing the process.

edit: thanks for posting fletcher's article again.

if Arte is involved to the point that he'd nix a trade, then wouldn't it make more sense he is more of a Jerry Jones type?  

I don't think we'll ever really know how granular his involvement is on every deal.  

It's important, but even more important is what he's been asking his last three GMs to do from a big picture standpoint.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The only real rule is about the World Series, so you see a lot of stuff happen right before or right after the WS (sometimes on an off day).

And the Angels are doing a disturbingly good job of not leaking what they’re up to. 

I think one thing we have consistently seen from Arte is that he tends to operate very quietly when it comes to these kinds of things.  I would not be surprised if we have already brought in some candidates to interview but just haven't heard anything about it.  

I still think it behooves us to have someone in place before the WS, so he can start laying the ground work of building his supporting staff while also formulating a strategy for the offseason.  That said, it's possible an "agreement" could be made during the WS but just not announced, so I guess that works, too.

Hopefully the initial timeline of Thanksgiving is not accurate, as that would really hamper us, IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Second Base said:

I'm really hoping to see the Angels radio silence result in hiring someone of realize anonymity.

A name that most fans have never heard of is Gerry Hunsicker.

Think of Hunsicker this way: the way GM's bring in players to build a winner, is the way Hunsicker brings in front office execs who build winners. And yet he remains shrouded behind the scenes and stats out of the media limelight.

He's 70 years old and has never been a high profile baseball personality. But he's been a behind the scenes whiz for a while now. The hugely successful Astros teams of the early and mid 2000's, he built. He left for Tampa Bay in 2004 and basically hand picked and mentored Andrew Friedman and the entire front office there. The list of guys he's scouted out and hired, are now all the who's who of front office execs in the baseball world.

After the group led by Magic Johnson purchased the Dodgers, guess who they basically purchased immediately to build their front office? That's right, Hunsicker. And it was Hunsicker that convinced Friedman to jump ship and Hunsicker who has since continued to build that highly successful baseball think tank. 

His fingerprints are all over MLB front offices. 

But I think chances are, it'll be Dombrowski. Moreno wants to win, and Dombrowski wins. In the same way Maddon was corrected to the Halos through informed sources before he was even let go by Chicago, Dombrowski has been corrected to them before Eppler was even let go. That and Dombrowski already has a relationship with senior advisors and has worked with overly involved owners before.... Basically all the pieces fit.

 

This is a good call... Props.

Hunsicker is basically Bill Stoneman, he's had a similar impact and role in his teams' successes.... unfortunately that's also the problem.  Hunsicker stepped down in 2005 or so and has chosen to stay out of the GM spot, he has essentially been serving in the same role as Stoneman for the Dodgers (and Rays previously), although I'd wager he gets more say than Stoneman does.. The other big difference seems to be that the Dodgers' group has always been smart enough to trust the process and bought into the bigger picture.  The current Dodgers ownership group has been playing the long game from day one.  Even when they were spending huge sums it was mostly long term thinking.  Arte seems to be all about the here and now.

I've said it before, I don't hate Arte..... I just have zero faith he can see the bigger picture currently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

This is a good call... Props.

Hunsicker is basically Bill Stoneman, he's had a similar impact and role in his teams' successes.... unfortunately that's also the problem.  Hunsicker stepped down in 2005 or so and has chosen to stay out of the GM spot, he has essentially been serving in the same role as Stoneman for the Dodgers (and Rays previously), although I'd wager he gets more say than Stoneman does.. The other big difference seems to be that the Dodgers' group has always been smart enough to trust the process and bought into the bigger picture.  The current Dodgers ownership group has been playing the long game from day one.  Even when they were spending huge sums it was mostly long term thinking.  Arte seems to be all about the here and now.

I've said it before, I don't hate Arte..... I just have zero faith he can see the bigger picture currently.

Yes - exactly this.

When the new ownership group took over, they spent gobs of money on the team, so everyone just assumed it'd be the Yankees all over again.  Kasten, though, was very clear on the team's mission from the beginning.  The team had no talent in both the MLB and MILB squads after McCourt completely decimated them, so Kasten very frankly stated that they were going to spend a lot of money on team payroll immediately to make them competitive, but at the same time, invest in analytics, scouting, and the minors, so that they could, in a few years of time, start to scale back on team payroll and instead use their homegrown pipeline to take over.

As we have seen, it has worked exactly as Kastne laid out.  Their payroll has gradually reduced yearly, and now their minor league system is perpetually a top 5 one, pumping out insane levels of good, young talent.  We need Arte to have this same vision and to hire someone who can enact this plan.  We are considerably ahead of those 2012 Dodgers in that we have a good amount of MLB talent (Trout, Rendon, etc etc), but we need to significantly improve our minor league system, and also need someone who can find the under-the-radar type talent that so many of these Friedman-disciples are good at doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...