• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It's pretty quiet out there considering we are looking for a GM or more.

halonatic13

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Grew up a Cowboys fan.   Not much of a football fan these days.  I can name the Steve Pelluer Paul Palmer rosters but would struggle to name all the current starters.

Found all this Jerry Jones talk kinda funny given the date.  October 12th was when the Herschel trade went down.  As an Angels and Cowboys fan, October 12th became my own personal nightmare day.... First Donnie Moore in 86 and then Herschel in 89.  At least the Cowboys turned it around quickly after that trade.

Jones has a track record of taking care of his guys.... Gonna be interesting to see how they handle the situation.  If his career is over then Roger Stauhbach will do what he does and help him make millions in some other field.

It's being reported that he will be out 4-6 months.

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I think he is covered under the franchise player one year contract he signed for $31 million. If he can't manage to live off that then that's on him.

Oh I'm sure he will be fine either way.  But there was a Forbes or Fortune story a while back depicting what is called the Dallas Cowboys alumni something something that went into detail about how much Jones and Staubach, have invested in finding business opportunities for their players after their playing days are done.  Supposedly its based out of the offices in the new stadium and you can't go into the place without running into two or three DC HOFers visiting the offices.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Oh I'm sure he will be fine either way.  But there was a Forbes or Fortune story a while back depicting what is called the Dallas Cowboys alumni something something that went into detail about how much Jones and Staubach, have invested in finding business opportunities for their players after their playing days.  Supposedly its based out of the offices in the new stadium and you can't go into the place without running into two or three DC HOFers visiting the offices.

That's actually pretty cool. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

That's actually pretty cool. 

Yep, they interviewed a ton of former players all of them basically saying how the real perks of being a Dallas Cowboy are the business opportunities post football.  Even Hollywood Henderson found life after football thanks to Staubach.  Dude has done so well do himself that when he won the Texas lottery he used the winnings to create a charity.

So, if looking out for former players is worth considering that's another area Jones has a lead on Moreno.

On 10/10/2020 at 6:32 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

The only real rule is about the World Series, so you see a lot of stuff happen right before or right after the WS (sometimes on an off day).

And the Angels are doing a disturbingly good job of not leaking what they’re up to. 

Even @Tank has been quiet about this.

On 10/12/2020 at 4:00 AM, Inside Pitch said:

First, you were the person that referenced Jones in the first place.   Is a guy really "meddling" if he installed himself as the GM from day one.  He was calling the shots at hello.   It's not like was calling plays for Jimmy.   If you want to say he had no business immersing himself in the GM position, fine... that's a different argument, one I have no interest in discussing.

Second, instead of telling me what you are or aren't talking about, maybe you should have paid mind to what you responded to.   You directly quoted my statement.... "I wish Arte could match Jones' achievements" -- I did not quote you (or anyone else), nor did I reference anything you had said while stating my position.   Mine was a 100% standalone comment.

LOL. he's the most powerful owner in the NFL because of his actions as an owner and not simply because he owns the Dallas Cowboys.  Neither Bum Bright or Clint Murchinson Jr., before him were viewed in a remotely similar light as Jones is currently or even 10 years into his ownership.  Fact is he was widely criticized early on for thinking too big, and was viewed as an upstart unwilling to accept his place as a lower tenured owner.  It didn't take long for the rest of owners to wise up and let the man make them all more successful.  The dude probably goes in even without the three rings his team won under his "stewardship" as "GM", solely on how he impacted the league.  You may not agree but Jones will likely go down as one of the NFL's greatest owners in league history.   And btw... the three SB rings they won under Jones are more than all but 6 teams in NFL have ever won, and one more than the Cowboys won prior to his arrival.  "Jack piss" indeed.

People will always argue how much credit he deserves for those early Jerry/Jimmy years but when push comes to shove he was the one that took over a floundering franchise, dismissed three absolute legends in Landry, Tex Schramm, and Gil Brandt only to win 3 SBs in four years.  Minus Jerry and his decision to bring in Johnson there is no "How bout them Cowboys" moment.   Jimmy was his boy.  And about Jimmy....  Johnson won two champions while working with Jones, zero without him.   Even JJ has said in retrospect he was too caught up in taking credit to give Jones the credit he deserved.

No, we really don't.   We can compare what they accomplished through their first 17 years and it's even more one-sided in favor of Jerry Jones.    You're grasping trying to save a bad take.

Widely accepted truth?   That entire narrative was built on the Jerry/Jimmy feud and the years following their split, it's ancient history. 

The biggest criticism of Jones the last decade plus was his loyalty to Jason Garret, and to a lesser degree,Tony Romo.  The days when he caught grief for picks like Shante Carver, Dave Lafleur, Kavika Pittman, Ebenezer Ekuban and Quincy Carter (01), are similarly so far in the rear view mirror they almost don't matter anymore..  There is little question his drafts from 1994-2000 were atrocious and he caught shit for it at the time, but a great deal of the talent erosion in the post Jimmy era was due to their success, the advent of NFL free agency, and the triplets either getting old or having their careers cut short by injury leaving them in cap purgatory..   

They haven't won, but Jones hasn't been the focal point of criticism for a while now, if anything he's been praised for doing a better job of listening to his talent evaluators and handing off a lot of the heavy lifting to Stephen Jones who most people seemingly hold in high regard.  Take a few minutes of your time and read up on what the widely accepted truth is regarding Dallas' drafts the last 7-10 years, they have been one of the best drafting teams over that span.

Anyway, this is more time than I would have preferred to spend on the subject, feel free to get whatever last words you feel necessary, but Ill say it again.  I wish the Angels achievements under Arte came close to matching those of the Cowboys under Jones.    The rest is all noise and opinion and I'm cool with differing views.

i'm going to be totally honest with you. there's no way i'm reading all that.

i tried to show you how i was using jones as an example in a very specific way, which was to highlight what a really involved owner truly is, but my intent and purpose always seems to get lost on you. i can live with that. 

8 hours ago, ukyah said:

i'm going to be totally honest with you. there's no way i'm reading all that.

i tried to show you how i was using jones as an example in a very specific way, which was to highlight what a really involved owner truly is, but my intent and purpose always seems to get lost on you. i can live with that. 

This is rich...

People who don't bother to read/understand what they are responding to shouldn't then question or attempt to lecture anyone else's ability to follow along.  Still, I'll admit it was truly stupid of me to spend so much time responding once it was obvious my very simple point (11 words!), was lost on you. 

Your intent and purpose >> reading what you respond to.  Got it.  I can live with that.