• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout's worst start ever

Angelsjunky

Here's Trout's WAR through his first 32 games played, and MLB rank by year:

Year (team games): WAR, MLB Rank...season ending WAR rank

2012 (54): 1.9, 28th (not qualified)....1st/2nd (tie with Posey)

2013 (32): 1.4, 23rd...1st

2014 (32): 1.7, 5th...1st

2015 (32): 2.0, 1st...1st/2nd (tie with Harper)

2016 (32): 1.7, 6th...1st

2017 (38): 2.0, 4th...4th

2018 (32): 2.4, 2nd...2nd

2019 (35): 1.9, 5th...1st

2020 (36): 1.2, 37th...?

As you can see, it is his worst start ever by a long-shot. He was slow to start in 2012-13, but 2012 only because he missed the first few weeks on account of the Bourjos Experiment.

Worrisome or anomaly?

4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

It's an anomaly that's worrisome.

Well put.

There's a strong correlation to his 2014 season, when his power was up, his average and walks were down, and he was striking out more. He was still best in the league, but there were complaints that it was an inferior product to 2012-13. Now we're seeing something similar, with Trout being more all-or-nothing than ever. Hopefully his improved walk rate of late (9 walks his last 9 games) is indicate of a shift in his approach and will yield future gains.

Pitchers have had like 6 years to be able to contain Trout by throwing him high fastballs. The book has been out on him during 2014. Now, here we are, in 2020, and they still can't do it well enough. No excuse for that. It's not like there's no data there like it was even 10 years ago or so. I would take this season as a grain of a salt. Trout didn't even get to hit in May, June, or most of July this season. Those are like his favorite three months in which he does major damage at the plate. I guess if he actually put up his usual numbers during those three months, almost no one would be "overreacting" to his current numbers this season. And that is why numbers this season can be so out-of-whack. Don't trust these fraud-like numbers if you see it. 

Just now, JustATroutFan said:

Trout does need to steal more bases, however. Same for Fletcher. But stupid Maddon doesn't want them to run. I'm beginning to want to say Maddon is Scioscia 2.0. Hated Scioscia. Dude made a lot of idiotic moves when he was managing the team. 

Can someone please quote this so our boy can see it.  Trout has the green light.  Trout is choosing not to run.  Don’t blame the manager because Trout isn’t running.  

Trout has not yet adjusted to the number of strikes he is seeing. If he fails to adjust, it will be the first time in his career. I am not worried. 

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Can someone please quote this so our boy can see it.  Trout has the green light.  Trout is choosing not to run.  Don’t blame the manager because Trout isn’t running.  

With pleasure. 

When my first child was born, my office WAR really suffered too -- OBP really went down for a couple months.  But eventually i found the right brand of coffee and the little poop maker started to sleep longer....and i found my grove.  My OPS/WAR has been thru the roof ever since.  Just like me, I believe Trout will also adjust and turn it around.  If not, I'll speak to him about it and we'll get it fixed.

9 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the discouragement of playing for one of the worst teams in baseball is finally rubbing off on him. All of his teammates are zombies going through the motions. Everybody looks depressed and the standings reflect that. It would be hard to care in that kind of environment.

There’s no doubt about it. He wants to win and there’s no end in sight with the losing. He understands the budget restraints. 

It's a crap season with a lot of other things outside of baseball going on. I remember before the season started he was considering not playing this year. He also has a new baby at home so some of his focus may be elsewhere. I'm not worried as I'm sure he'll come roaring back in 2021. It's not like MVP Trout is going to make a difference this year. 

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well put.

There's a strong correlation to his 2014 season, when his power was up, his average and walks were down, and he was striking out more. He was still best in the league, but there were complaints that it was an inferior product to 2012-13. Now we're seeing something similar, with Trout being more all-or-nothing than ever. Hopefully his improved walk rate of late (9 walks his last 9 games) is indicate of a shift in his approach and will yield future gains.

he'd have a lot walks if there robo-ump calling the balls and strikes

Trout's a new Dad, and has to contend with Covid-19 like all of us do, sometimes things transcend baseball.  Plus it's a strange season, and whoever wins the World Series will forever have an asterisk after it.  He will be back next year, better than ever.

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

he's upset because his kid is too right handed. 

You know what, it's funny but it's true.  6 RHH in a row, not ideal at all for keeping pitchers off-balance.  It's a product of a patch-work offense, and last second plug-ins.

Also if Trout is the main concern right now for why the Angels are where they are, you guys need to rewire your brains.  Let alone Ohtani's struggles, the pitching has not allowed us to win ballgames, period.