• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels Trade Stock

Chuck

4 hours ago, stormngt said:

1.  Extend Simmons on a club friendly deal if possible.

2.  Train La Stella to be our every day 1b.  Last year wasn't a fluke.

3. I would trade Bundy for Clevenger.

4. Trade Heaney if the package is right.

4. Have Goodwin, Marsh, and Adell rotate two out field positions.

5.  Have Thaiss back up 1b and La Stella could back up any of the infield.

6. DH Ohtani

7. Let Pujols retire with one year left on contract

8.  I have no idea what to do with Upton

9. Invest money in Pitching staff.  

10.  Hope Detmer and Rodriguez could be ready next year. 

11.  I am ok with Bundy or a Clevinger, Sandavol, hopefully Detmer and C Rodriguez with Barria and Suarez for depth.  The problem is how much confidence is Suarez going to lose by the angels rushing him to the majors.

Offensively we should be good to solid in every position.  

For #7.. if only he wanted to, right?  But I'm sure he'll show up to play.  We'd have to DFA him, which we really should do, along with Upton.  Yes, sunk assets suck, but they're hurting us even more by actually playing.  We truly just need to cut bait and move on.  Thaiss can get a shot at 1B.  He may not be that good, but at least it'll help us see if he can be the future there for not, vs just continuing to play Pujols.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

For #7.. if only he wanted to, right?  But I'm sure he'll show up to play.  We'd have to DFA him, which we really should do, along with Upton.  Yes, sunk assets suck, but they're hurting us even more by actually playing.  We truly just need to cut bait and move on.  Thaiss can get a shot at 1B.  He may not be that good, but at least it'll help us see if he can be the future there for not, vs just continuing to play Pujols.

Agree, but they probably each deserve the first two months in 2021, to see if they are truly done.   If so, then give Pujols his remaining $20 million and Upton his remaining $43 million.   They ate tons of money with Wells and Hamilton.  Doing it again shouldn't be too bad, as long as Arte Moreno is now DONE with these mega contracts for guys that prove to be slightly above average at their best.   

Edited by Angel Oracle

Sign Bauer.

Trade Marsh and Goodwin for Plesac.

Trade Upton (eat most of his contract) for a decent bullpen arm.

Sign Blake Treinen.

Now you got a rotation of:

1. Bauer

2. Plesac

3. Bundy

4. Heaney

5. Canning

Remember we have Detmers who will be MLB ready soon and Ohtani is a wildcard. This is doable guys. We just need to chill and hope Eppler gets it done.

3 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Sign Bauer.

Trade Marsh and Goodwin for Plesac.

Trade Upton (eat most of his contract) for a decent bullpen arm.

Sign Blake Treinen.

Now you got a rotation of:

1. Bauer

2. Plesac

3. Bundy

4. Heaney

5. Canning

Remember we have Detmers who will be MLB ready soon and Ohtani is a wildcard. This is doable guys. We just need to chill and hope Eppler gets it done.

No one will trade anything of any value for Upton, even if we eat basically the whole contract.

What I'll add to this - we really should just tank the rest of this year.  We may not catch Pittsburgh for worst record, but if we finish with the 2nd worst record, we can likely draft Leiter (Kumar will likely go #1), who projects to be a top-of-the-rotation type caliber arm.

Keep Marsh, IMO.  Agree with Bauer.  Release Pujols to free up 1B for literally anybody else.

Next year's lineup:  SS Fletcher, 1B Marsh (patience and speed, should fit well here), CF Trout, 3B Rendon, DH Ohtani, RF Adell, LF Goodwin/Upton, C Castro/Stassi, 2B Rengifo

Rotation:  Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, one of Sandoval/Suarez/Barria, and if we get anything at all out of Ohtani, fantastic.

I'm only listing Marsh as 1B because reports indicate we are having him test it out at the alternate site.

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

No one will trade anything of any value for Upton, even if we eat basically the whole contract.

What I'll add to this - we really should just tank the rest of this year.  We may not catch Pittsburgh for worst record, but if we finish with the 2nd worst record, we can likely draft Leiter (Kumar will likely go #1), who projects to be a top-of-the-rotation type caliber arm.

Keep Marsh, IMO.  Agree with Bauer.  Release Pujols to free up 1B for literally anybody else.

Next year's lineup:  SS Fletcher, 1B Marsh (patience and speed, should fit well here), CF Trout, 3B Rendon, DH Ohtani, RF Adell, LF Goodwin/Upton, C Castro/Stassi, 2B Rengifo

Rotation:  Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, one of Sandoval/Suarez/Barria, and if we get anything at all out of Ohtani, fantastic.

I'm only listing Marsh as 1B because reports indicate we are having him test it out at the alternate site.

We need bullpen arms also. We need to sign someone good in the offseason that we can rely on to give the ball to in the ninth.

4 minutes ago, Bronson said:

We need bullpen arms also. We need to sign someone good in the offseason that we can rely on to give the ball to in the ninth.

While I agree with you, in the end, we know the team doesn't have a ton to spend.  They have to pick and choose their spots, and I'd definitely prioritize Bauer over a reliever.  I think it's unlikely they can afford both.  As it is, if we sign Bauer, we'd likely go over the LT limit, so I don't see that as likely, either.

My hope is he makes an exception for one year and signs Bauer.  Hopefully, Detmers and CRod develop well next year, such that by 2022, we can have a rotation that looks like:  Bauer, Detmers, CRod, Canning, Suarez/Sandoval/Barria, and just maybe, Ohtani to some degree.

19 hours ago, floplag said:

There are a ton of options, but all i know at this point is that whatever we are doing doesnt seem to be working.
At this point its almost reasons be damned, change gears, do whatever, but this legacy of underachieving is mind boggling.
The farm has taken a step back or at minimum not improved, not shocking drafting mid rounds, and what value we appear to have is already on the big club for the most part.
I would almost trade anyone at this point not named Trout to change that.

Specifically i think i would investigate the following:
Trade Simba once healthy.  Thats hard for me to say as ive been on board with keeping him but at this point, what choice do we have really?  Hard to extend someone that cant seem to stay on the field regardless of talent. 
Extend LaStella and Castro.  Id like to take a run at Realmuto as much as the next guy but we cant absorb another 30M contract and fix other issues.
Buyout Pujols and Upton.  I realize thats a shit ton of money to eat,   But at this point both are just taking up space.  Upton looks lost and overmatched and father time is what it is on Albert.
Teach Ohtani to play 1B.  If hes not going to pitch he needs a position beyond DH.  Hes got the height and athleticism, why not... 
Put every penny into signing guys like Bauer, Kluber, Stroman, and the like, not top tier guys, but guys on that step just below.. guys with attitude, that get angry when they lose, and getting someone at the back end of the pen that isnt a freaking gas can.  If you can make a trade for one of those guys now, i dont know if i bother.. this season looks already beyond lost.. why give up the kids and pay to sign them, i dont really see the point right now.

Thats where my head is now, and ill admit im extremely down on the club at this point, but i dont think its that far off.

Agree 100% with this. Great piece.

Here's a little bit on what we should do and I know at least @Chuckster70 will agree with me on this....

Become sellers at the deadline. The season is over and sorry to sound like a Debbie Downer, but it's true. 
Players to dangle out to trade (assuming there might be value) are:
Simmons
Goodwin
Bundy
Heaney
MAYBE Ohtani/Fletcher (huge asking price; other teams must overpay and I mean REALLY overpay).

The main reason to be sellers is two reasons which are extremely key for 2021 and beyond... 

1: Give Marsh, Adell and Detmers playing time to get their feet wet so they can hit the ground running in 2021. This is extremely important when making a run for the playoffs.

2: Angels have a chance to get an extremely high draft pick for the first time since 1995 when they took Darin Erstad #1 overall and Troy Glaus #3 overall back in 1997.

Make a run for Kumar Rocker or Jack Leiter. Position yourself to get a premium college arm who isn't far from MLB ready who will cost league minimum who can also make a huge impact to a very thin rotation. 

A few of these things alone can already have a drastic improvement to the team. This doesn't even include making a fun for FA SPs... 

*****Based on new reports by Jon Morosi that David Fletcher could be a high-priced option it leaves me questioning Simmons. If Fletcher is dealt, then Simmons will get the team friendly contract. 

40 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Unless Fletcher brings back a top of the rotation arm, he should not be moved. Hopefully Eppler has Cleveland on the phone and is trying to pry away one of their two pitchers in the dog house. 

Right.  I think Fletcher is just being floated out there as a "if we get blown away with an offer, we'll take it" sorta deal, which I don't think we'll see.

I agree with others who suggest putting various others on the block - Simba, LaStella, Goodwin, even Bundy and Heaney.  This team needs to rebuild parts of the team and needs an infusion of youth into the farm system.  We should NOT trade Marsh - keep him, and let Trout/Adell/Marsh become our future OF core.  If we tank this year and can draft one of Kumar or Leiter, then one of them, along with Detmers + CRod, can hopefully form a nice, young pitching core in the near future.

Buy and sell. 

1) Dylan Bundy is worth more to the Angels this year and next than he would almost certainly receive in a trade. Four great starts won’t change that. Worst case scenario he should still give us durable innings next year, best case scenario he becomes a #2 or better and anchors us next year, becomes trade bait next deadline, or an extension candidate. I bet if he keeps this up he’d be worth more next summer even as a rental than he is now. Keep him.

2) Tommy La Stella should be made available - and should be playing 1B as often as possible now - but I wouldn’t trade him just for the sake of selling. We’d need a good young SP, C, RP, or I suppose 1B, to justify it. His contact rates, low K, OBP, improved power, and relative versatility should give him value for a couple years still and slow any regression, and I hope he is extended or re-signed, even if we trade him. Make him available, but set a high price of MLB-ready talent.

3) Brian Goodwin is proving last year was not a fluke and he’s living up to some of his early prospect hype. Multiple years of control remaining, cheap, able to play all over the OF...he’s also ahead of Adell and Marsh. To me, now that it’s becoming apparent 2020 is a lost year and Goodwin has proven his play, he’s without a doubt in my mind the guy we should trade. He alone won’t bring back a big name, but paired with a top prospect or a young SP, should be able to get us something with some upside, or on his own, a decent mid-rotation type. Maybe Turnbull, Norris, or Boyd from Detroit? Paired with a prospect for Plesac? A young arm from one of the many on the Blue Jays or Padres? Either way I think it’s time to trade him and free up the at-bats for Upton and youngsters this year. 

4) Andrew Heaney is quite similar to Bundy in terms of production and has the same amount of club control, but doesn’t seem to have as high of a ceiling - or as low of a floor - as Bundy. Overall, I think the Angels are better off holding onto him and hoping for the best, taking whatever innings they can get. Still, to me, he’s a little more of a known commodity over Bundy, and if a team like San Diego, Chicago, Cleveland, Houston, New York, or Toronto wanted to give us a young, nearly MLB-ready arm in return for the chance to slot Heaney’s immediate production into their playoff-push rotation, then it’s worth exploring. Make him available, but expect to keep him.

5) The relievers should all be on the market. Every year someone overpays badly for a reliever or two, and none of ours are good enough to be deemed untouchable. Make them available.

6) Griffin Canning is starting to give off some Garret Richards vibes to me - and not the good kind. Starting to think he’s going to feel like a constant injury risk, never quite reaching his potential, missing time here and there, struggling, dominating, then ultimately getting TJ at the worst possible time and hitting free agency after a disappointing tenure. Trade him now while his stock is very high in a deal for a more stable, young, controlled arm, even if it means trading down a bit on upside. 

7) All efforts should be made to keep both Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh, especially with Marsh starting to toy with reps at 1B, but I think time has come to remove any untouchable label from either. This is in no way an indictment of either, but the need for impact pitching has never been more clear and one of these two still represents our best shot at landing someone to meet that demand. Maybe the Angels can pull off getting what they need through Goodwin, Canning, and others and you can keep both. But failing that, it’s time to see who you may be able to get in a deal involving one of these. Make them available, for a sky-high price. 

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Buy and sell. 

1) Dylan Bundy is worth more to the Angels this year and next than he would almost certainly receive in a trade. Four great starts won’t change that. Worst case scenario he should still give us durable innings next year, best case scenario he becomes a #2 or better and anchors us next year, becomes trade bait next deadline, or an extension candidate. I bet if he keeps this up he’d be worth more next summer even as a rental than he is now. Keep him.

2) Tommy La Stella should be made available - and should be playing 1B as often as possible now - but I wouldn’t trade him just for the sake of selling. We’d need a good young SP, C, RP, or I suppose 1B, to justify it. His contact rates, low K, OBP, improved power, and relative versatility should give him value for a couple years still and slow any regression, and I hope he is extended or re-signed, even if we trade him. Make him available, but set a high price of MLB-ready talent.

3) Brian Goodwin is proving last year was not a fluke and he’s living up to some of his early prospect hype. Multiple years of control remaining, cheap, able to play all over the OF...he’s also ahead of Adell and Marsh. To me, now that it’s becoming apparent 2020 is a lost year and Goodwin has proven his play, he’s without a doubt in my mind the guy we should trade. He alone won’t bring back a big name, but paired with a top prospect or a young SP, should be able to get us something with some upside, or on his own, a decent mid-rotation type. Maybe Turnbull, Norris, or Boyd from Detroit? Paired with a prospect for Plesac? A young arm from one of the many on the Blue Jays or Padres? Either way I think it’s time to trade him and free up the at-bats for Upton and youngsters this year. 

4) Andrew Heaney is quite similar to Bundy in terms of production and has the same amount of club control, but doesn’t seem to have as high of a ceiling - or as low of a floor - as Bundy. Overall, I think the Angels are better off holding onto him and hoping for the best, taking whatever innings they can get. Still, to me, he’s a little more of a known commodity over Bundy, and if a team like San Diego, Chicago, Cleveland, Houston, New York, or Toronto wanted to give us a young, nearly MLB-ready arm in return for the chance to slot Heaney’s immediate production into their playoff-push rotation, then it’s worth exploring. Make him available, but expect to keep him.

5) The relievers should all be on the market. Every year someone overpays badly for a reliever or two, and none of ours are good enough to be deemed untouchable. Make them available.

6) Griffin Canning is starting to give off some Garret Richards vibes to me - and not the good kind. Starting to think he’s going to feel like a constant injury risk, never quite reaching his potential, missing time here and there, struggling, dominating, then ultimately getting TJ at the worst possible time and hitting free agency after a disappointing tenure. Trade him now while his stock is very high in a deal for a more stable, young, controlled arm, even if it means trading down a bit on upside. 

7) All efforts should be made to keep both Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh, especially with Marsh starting to toy with reps at 1B, but I think time has come to remove any untouchable label from either. This is in no way an indictment of either, but the need for impact pitching has never been more clear and one of these two still represents our best shot at landing someone to meet that demand. Maybe the Angels can pull off getting what they need through Goodwin, Canning, and others and you can keep both. But failing that, it’s time to see who you may be able to get in a deal involving one of these. Make them available, for a sky-high price. 

I agree with all of this except Bundy and possibly Goodwin.  I would trade Bundy if I could get a couple of guys like Sandoval for him.  Goodwin, I would trade if I can get the right price.  Once again it would be a major league ready starter for Goodwin.  

Put every guy that's tradeable on the market to gaugae their values, and if we can get a nice return make the trade.

So these guys include;

Heaney

La Stella

Goodwin

Bundy

Its looks like alot of teams are/will be looking for pitching and Of held. This could play a key role for us. 

Along with us being seller's i would try to get Clev, and if possible include 

Ideally, the players that can be tradeable, if we can get a top 100 or atleast 2, hopefully young and ready ofs, i would include them in a deal for Clev.If not try to see what we have to get a deal done. 

I;ve heard that Clev and Bauer are clsoe, so we if can get one, we might get the other. 

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Buy and sell. 

Perfectly stated.. But, i do think we need to sell high on Bundy, Without the eltie velo and Control/command, i think Bundy will regress, he's on a hot streak but we should captailize it. 

heaney; hopefully he rebounds back in his next start and increase his value, gauage his value and if the right trade comes trade him.

Canning i would not mind trading, espcially if we can get both Clev and Plesac.  

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I agree with all of this except Bundy and possibly Goodwin.  I would trade Bundy if I could get a couple of guys like Sandoval for him.  Goodwin, I would trade if I can get the right price.  Once again it would be a major league ready starter for Goodwin.  

That was essentially the price I put on Goodwin - I think he can recoup that. 

If Bundy could net us a couple truly legitimate MLB-ready prospects or players, perhaps even one Top 100, then sure I’d go for it, I just don’t think anyone is going to pay that much yet, not after four starts, two of which against the Mariners. We got him for essentially filler less than a half dozen starts ago. As with any player though, of course I’d listen if blown away, including Fletcher. 

16 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Perfectly stated.. But, i do think we need to sell high on Bundy, Without the eltie velo and Control/command, i think Bundy will regress, he's on a hot streak but we should captailize it. 

heaney; hopefully he rebounds back in his next start and increase his value, gauage his value and if the right trade comes trade him.

Canning i would not mind trading, espcially if we can get both Clev and Plesac.  

I think Bundy has enough to get him through this season and next as an effective arm. After him and Heaney, we have *nothing* proven, and neither are exactly rock solid as is either. It’s unlikely we bring back anyone that is an A+ stud either - and we will have four other rotation spots needing help. 

I bet Canning, a top OF prospect, and maybe another lesser guy or two could get you Clevinger and Plesac, which would be huge. 

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think Bundy has enough to get him through this season and next as an effective arm. After him and Heaney, we have *nothing* proven, and neither are exactly rock solid as is either. It’s unlikely we bring back anyone that is an A+ stud either - and we will have four other rotation spots needing help. 

I bet Canning, a top OF prospect, and maybe another lesser guy or two could get you Clevinger and Plesac, which would be huge. 

No chance you can get both of those guys unless you give up Canning, Adell, Marsh and another minor league arm.  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No chance you can get both of those guys unless you give up Canning, Adell, Marsh and another minor league arm.  

I’d put as much as Canning, one of Adell/Marsh, and one of Goodwin, Rengifo, Suarez, Barria, Adams, or a lower-level guy (someone not really on our major prospect radar) on the table for both and I think they’d consider it. 

For me, the question for the future is: do the Angels rebuild or reload? I'd be thrilled for the team to pick one, then make all decisions to support their chosen strategy.  I don't even mind years of losing ahead because we're already a losing franchise and have been for years. 

However, it seems like the strategy is not to fully rebuild but also not to fully commit to reloading either (which would require spending on premium arms), but a mix of partially reloading (i.e. Rendon) and recycling (i.e. Teheran/all the bullpen arms/seemingly all pitching acquisitions last year like Cahill, Harvey, etc). 

There's a lot I don't know about running a MLB organization. For example, how limited Billy Eppler's choice are by forces outside of his control (i.e. the will of ownership, especially in regards to past signings). So, more likely, it's not as simple as having one primary strategy like maybe Houston and the Cubs did before their cycles of success. 

I will say this though, I've been watching the Angels for 25+ years and I don't think I've ever enjoyed it less. Truly hope there's some bold decisions coming one way or another and it's not the status quo of mostly recycling players and not fully spending on premium arms. I'd rather they blow it up and rebuild and give us a chance at contention before Mike Trout is no longer great. I'd wait a few years for that. 

8 minutes ago, JBR said:

I will say this though, I've been watching the Angels for 25+ years and I don't think I've ever enjoyed it less. Truly hope there's some bold decisions coming one way or another

I think we will see Billy do something bold, unless he’s already been told he’s getting an extension because of the virus or he is not interested in returning.

He can trade big and bold this deadline and it will either propel us to competition and keeps his job, giving him another chance to try and recoup/redraft/rebuild whatever farm he deals, or he leaves it for the next guy to deal with if he doesn’t get an extension.