• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 MLB Amateur Draft Thread (June 10th & 11th)

Chuck

47 minutes ago, Stradling said:

One thing that’s almost guaranteed as an Angel fan is we won’t initially be happy with whom we draft at 10.  

The last time we had the 10th pick in the draft we selected Jo Adell. Everyone was incredibly pleased! 

Here's hoping that's our lucky number. 

1 minute ago, Fourts said:

My top three: Pitcher, pitcher or pitcher.....in that order.

I agree. 

Really makes no sense to grab another outfielder or position player unless it was Austin Martin or Nick Gonzalez. 

22 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Bingo! 

@Franklin Bluth there's a bunch of whiny irritating 20-somethings on Twitter that have this constant hate for Arte Moreno, so I'm not talking about the old stubborn grumpy men that bitched about the name change. 

They hate Arte because of a few reasons. They think he's cheap (despite having three of the richest contracts in baseball), he nixed the Pederson/Stripling deal and because he's a voting Republican. (let's not get into the latter in this thread). 

But that's basically it unless I'm missing something else.

Hope all is well my friend. 

Agreed, don't get the cheap vibe (except for maybe with the scouts/minor leaguers during this Covid-19 crisis) especially when it comes to player spending. Under Moreno, the Angels have had many 20M+ players, they currently have the 1st, 10th (T), and 12th highest dollar value contracts in history on their team. The Yankees have always spent big, but other than A-Rod, who is 6th and 8th, they have just the 4th highest in Gerritt Cole. So let's not say Arte is cheap.

Nixing the Pederson/Stripling deal was a bit weird, but there must've been something else going on we aren't privy to.

10. Angels
Callis: Robert Hassell III, OF, Independence HS (Thompson's Station, Tenn.)
 -- The Angels are the toughest team to read in the upper half of the first round. Detmers and Hassell look like the top priorities unless someone else falls. A deal with the Draft's best true shortstop (Illinois high schooler Ed Howard) is also a possibility.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-draft-final-projections-for-2020-mlb-draft

14 minutes ago, Fourts said:

My top three: Pitcher, pitcher or pitcher.....in that order.

I agree, unless someone stupid slips, like Torkelson or Martin, or they have to go Pitcher.

The only position player that might be acceptable is Patrick Bailey, who most mocks have going to the White Sox at 11. As a Catcher who is projected to stay behind the dish, and one who could be ready quickly, that fits a need.

8 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I know @Lou would be happy if we drafted UCLA OF Garrett Mitchell who's expected to go earlier in the 1st round, but has now slipped to around the 15th pick. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 10.45.11 AM.png

I love Morris, but I don't think he goes that high. I've even seen mocks that have him in the 20s

My top choice is Meyer but it looks like he’s  a lock for the Jays (sigh) Detmers doesn't excite  me. I’d really hate wasting the #10 pick on a middle of the rotation arm, which we already have plenty of. Cavalli and Crochett seem like too much of a risk for a pick that high, but I wouldn’t be disappointed if they chose one of the two. I think they ultimately go with Hassell 

Keith Law of The Athletic:

10. Los Angeles Angels: Pete Crow-Armstrong, OF, Harvard-Westlake (Calif.) School

No high school pitchers here, but they could go for ceiling with Ed Howard or Hassell, take an up-the-middle college bat in Garrett Mitchell, or stick with college pitching like Cade Cavalli or Detmers.

29 minutes ago, SoWhat said:

Keith Law of The Athletic:

10. Los Angeles Angels: Pete Crow-Armstrong, OF, Harvard-Westlake (Calif.) School

No high school pitchers here, but they could go for ceiling with Ed Howard or Hassell, take an up-the-middle college bat in Garrett Mitchell, or stick with college pitching like Cade Cavalli or Detmers.

Season 5 Whatever GIF by CBS All Access

Its seem like that the big 3 college pitcher won't be there at 10. would you guy be fine if we took a chance and went with a hs prep arm? 

I just feel like it's unwise to waste this good of pick on a guy that at his best will be a mid-of the rotation arm, or players with major Injury concerns?  We've gotten Heaney, Sandoval, and maybe Bundy (depending on if his velo holds) that fit the 3/4 time of pitchers.

The more I read about the players that will likely be available when the Angels pick at 10, the more I think unless a consensus top 3 College Pitcher is available, they should go with Patrick Bailey.

Bailey likely signs under slot, and is a real gamer. I read a piece about him from the local press, and I liked what I read. He's good enough defensively now to handle MLB pitching staffs, and the bat looks good in college.

I mean, no college pitcher from 2019 made his debut last year, none from 2018. From 2017 it's just Kyle Wright from the Braves.

So it's likely a minimum of 2 seasons before the guy we pick at #10 debuts. Likely Not until 2023. He's not going to help immediately. From 2016 AJ Puk, Cal Quantrill, Justin Dunn, Eric Lauer have debuted. None have been in more than a few games except Lauer and first round sandwich pick Dakota Hudson. (Anthony Kay from the Sandwich round also debuted).

Going back to 2015, the best college arm to debut is a Legit MLB ace, Walker Buehler, taken 24th. He made his debut in the 2018 season, so roughly 2.5-3 years after he was drafted. Aaron Nola and Kyle Freeland are legit MLB starters from the 1st round in 2014, as is Jon Gray from the 2013 draft.

Going into later rounds, the quickest I've seen a college arm debut would be the Angels own Griffin Canning, who debuted in 2019 after being drafted in the 2nd round in 2017.

Are Lacey, Hancock, Meyer, Dietmers, going to move as quick as Canning? And don't the Angels have good quality starters lower in their organization now?

For specific player, i'd take the HS arm Abel (assuming Meyer off the board).  He looks the part and a potential special player.  Otherwise any other P really -- i don't care if it's a safe pick or high upside.  Just No to a catcher at #10.  High upside HS SS or OF is usually good, but we have enough of those and especially so between 17-20 yrs old.   

20 minutes ago, Fourts said:

For specific player, i'd take the HS arm Abel (assuming Meyer off the board).  He looks the part and a potential special player.  Otherwise any other P really -- i don't care if it's a safe pick or high upside.  Just No to a catcher at #10.  High upside HS SS or OF is usually good, but we have enough of those and especially so between 17-20 yrs old.   

My exact thoughts as well.

The guys on MLB Network the other day were drooling over Detmers. They said don't sell him short because of his 91-92, 94 MPH fastball because his command is nearly an 80 grade and his other three offerings are plus pitches.