• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 MLB Amateur Draft Thread (June 10th & 11th)

Chuck

The 5-round Amateur Draft is next week (June 10th & 11th) so it's time for our annual thread on this.

So far Baseball America and MLB.com has us getting a college or HS outfielder or college catcher. 

MLB also has the Angels looking at College SP Cade Cavalli or SS Ed Howard. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 3.53.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 3.54.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 4.01.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 4.00.48 PM.png

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

@Inside Pitch, @Dochalo and guys, where do you think the Angels will go here?

I would think with Trout locked up and Adell, Marsh and Adams and possibly Jeremiah Jackson as someone who could move to the OF, we should go with Cavalli or the college catcher here if he's good. 

You draft the best player in baseball. Worry about the rest later. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

@Inside Pitch, @Dochalo and guys, where do you think the Angels will go here?

I would think with Trout locked up and Adell, Marsh and Adams and possibly Jeremiah Jackson as someone who could move to the OF, we should go with Cavalli or the college catcher here if he's good. 

I think Max Meyer is their wet dream -- Ive heard from multiple places they had been scouting A LOT of position players and been attached to a few of the lefty arms.   But info has been really sparse for obvious reasons.

29 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think Max Meyer is their wet dream -- Ive heard from multiple places they had been scouting A LOT of position players and been attached to a few of the lefty arms.   But info has been really sparse for obvious reasons.

Maybe Dipoto will draft the catcher like he did Taylor Ward and Meyer will fall to us. 🙂 

How does the FA amateur signings work for those outside of the first 5 rounds?

The team with the most money can sign the best remaining, or is there a budget limit?

Sucks that in a short 5-round draft in a season that we may not see one MLB game of Anthony Rendon that we don't have a second rounder. 

10 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

How does the FA amateur signings work for those outside of the first 5 rounds?

The team with the most money can sign the best remaining, or is there a budget limit?

Sucks that in a short 5-round draft in a season that we may not see one MLB game of Anthony Rendon that we don't have a second rounder. 

teams can sign an unlimited number of undrafted free agents for $20,000

• Chuck pinned this topic

I don’t know much about the players in the draft but I have seen little interviews with both Meyer and Cavali, and they both seem to be big time arms.  I would love to get a top arm like that in the draft.  They would immediately be our top pitching prospect.  

Detmers has the best control and probably gets to the majors quickly, but he's only 91-92 and occasionally hits 94.

Cavalli has bigtime stuff but I read he's injury prone. We don't need that.

Abel would be huge but he's a HS atm that would take some time.

9 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Reid Detmers will be the pick

I hope so. I would rather the Angels go with a near ready arm than roll the dice on upside since they don't have a 2nd rounder. 

I might be one of the few guys, that does not want us to draft Detmers. I know he has the chance to be able to move throughout the system really quick, but at best i see him as a 3. Quite frankly we have a lot of guys on the roster that fit this profile. 

Meyer is my top choice but if he's not there, i wouldn't mind rolling the dice on an high upside prep arm.   

From reading about Abel, he seem to me an Eppler type guy. Over 2600 rpm on his Fastball and Breaking ball.  If everything clicks, he could be in the majors around the age 20.  

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

If Arte pulls this, wouldn’t surprise me if Eppler just left once his contract was up. 

Yep, it seems like Eppler can't do anything without ownership getting involved.

Also, if the Angels do end up with a GM vacancy, the job doesn't seem super desirable with Arte's interference being a major hindrance.

Definitely a wildcard notion - but Hancock now has a bit of risk attached to him - arm soreness last year, and didn't pitch well this year.  Teams drafting in the top 10 are a risk-averse bunch ... could he slip to us?

Not sold on Detmers, and unlikely Meyer slips to us, and high school pitchers rarely succeed, so Abel might be too much risk - so, while it's certainly not a need, I wouldn't be too disappointed to see us draft Kjerstad.