• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 MLB Amateur Draft Thread (June 10th & 11th)

Chuck

31 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Some of the ridiculous WOKE Angels fans on Twitter who hate Arte Moreno were starting rumors that he was going to punt the 1st round draft pick in order to save money. 

@taylorblakeward corrected them, but I took it a step further. 

What does that have to do with being "woke"? Not trying to start an argument, just curious.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Rumblings that a team might punt the draft - and it’s likely the Angels. 

If Arte pulls this, wouldn’t surprise me if Eppler just left once his contract was up. 

If we're talking about punting on the first pick, i can understand that if the guy they want is not available -- considering the next draft will be really good.  But anything besides that is unacceptable.

Anyway, I hope this isn't true.  But we will find out pretty soon based on their selections and what they do going after UDFA.  I'm very interested to see what they do with the UDFA.  With their cutting all the scouts/etc., this is going to tell me just how committed the team and Arte is to the Angels, winning and the LT of the organization as a whole.  IF they are not 100% in, then i'm no longer going to be either.  I have felt this way for the past 5 years or so....but they keep doing something random that makes me think they are fully committed (like a big FA signing).  The problem is all those moves are dumb moves -- that are historically exactly what the Angels FOs/Ownership has almost always done with the exception of the Stoneman (golden) years.  I had great hopes for Eppler, but it just seems he isn't given the full reigns to do his thing. 

19 minutes ago, Fourts said:

Woke?  I don't get involved with any of that stuff honestly, so i could be wrong.  But wouldn't the woke crowd consider an ethnic minority owner be champion/favorite of that group?  I'm immediately regretting even asking and commenting on it as the whole classification of groups bore me & are quite annoying.

I think Chuck is talking about a few Angels Twitter people that seemingly alternate between the usual "woke" themes and ripping on Arte, particularly of late with all the madness going on... 

These guys also tend to get into flame wars over who has more followers and the sort so..... Lol!

14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think Chuck is talking about a few Angels Twitter people that seemingly alternate between the usual "woke" themes and ripping on Arte, particularly of late with all the madness going on... 

These guys also tend to get into flame wars over who has more followers and the sort so..... Lol!

Bingo! 

@Franklin Bluth there's a bunch of whiny irritating 20-somethings on Twitter that have this constant hate for Arte Moreno, so I'm not talking about the old stubborn grumpy men that bitched about the name change. 

They hate Arte because of a few reasons. They think he's cheap (despite having three of the richest contracts in baseball), he nixed the Pederson/Stripling deal and because he's a voting Republican. (let's not get into the latter in this thread). 

But that's basically it unless I'm missing something else.

Hope all is well my friend. 

All that social media stuff just seems like a cesspool and the end of civilization.  It's like the future world/people leftover in that movie Idiocracy (2006).  Just human waste.  Glad i never ventured into it.  I'm relatively young, yet i have never had (nor been on) My Space, Facebook, twitter, tic tok (is that something?) or any other of them.  Well, i guess some might throw this into it too...but...

3 minutes ago, Fourts said:

All that social media stuff just seems like a cesspool and the end of civilization.  It's like the future world/people leftover in that movie Idiocracy (2006).  Just human waste.  Glad i never ventured into it.  I'm relatively young, yet i have never had (nor been on) My Space, Facebook, twitter, tic tok (is that something?) or any other of them.  Well, i guess some might throw this into it too...but...

I agree 

29 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Bingo! 

@Franklin Bluth there's a bunch of whiny irritating 20-somethings on Twitter that have this constant hate for Arte Moreno, so I'm not talking about the old stubborn grumpy men that bitched about the name change. 

They hate Arte because of a few reasons. They think he's cheap (despite having three of the richest contracts in baseball), he nixed the Pederson/Stripling deal and because he's a voting Republican. (let's not get into the latter in this thread). 

But that's basically it unless I'm missing something else.

Hope all is well my friend. 

Hmm ... I get what you're saying, but "woke" typically refers to people who acknowledge that black people experience racism in our country. There are plenty of "woke" people who don't harp on Arte.

I love Arte, even though I disagree with his political views. I think he's been an incredible owner.

35 minutes ago, Franklin Bluth said:

Hmm ... I get what you're saying, but "woke" typically refers to people who acknowledge that black people experience racism in our country. There are plenty of "woke" people who don't harp on Arte.

I love Arte, even though I disagree with his political views. I think he's been an incredible owner.

The term "woke" has been used in many other instances since the original creation of the word, especially when someone is awaken to a new cause.

I used it in a baseball instance to identify the whiny youth on social media who seemingly hate the owner, the GM and just about everything else in life outside of David Fletcher. @Inside Pitch knows what I'm referring to.

These were the same folks who constantly bitched about the Angels having no pitching, season over crowd. They act like they feel victimized by Arte's dealings over the years. lol

SUCH AN INJUSTICE THAT ARTE NIXED THAT TRADE! 

Anyhow, no politics in this thread. Send me a PM if you want to discuss further. 

So in Baseball America's top 500 prospects (College and HS) in the country, they have the following pitchers we've talked about here ranked as follows:

Reid Detmers 8th, Max Meyer 10th, Mick Abel 11th and Garrett Crochet 15th. 

Lacy and Hancock are ranked 3rd and 4th respectively. 

35 minutes ago, Franklin Bluth said:

I think you're reading more into it than was intended .... not meaning that in any dismissive way....  But I genuinely knew exactly who he was referencing when I saw Chuck's post. 

I don't want to speak for Chuck but I'm fairly certain when he used the term "woke" he meant that they are "pretend woke".... They seriously come across like a bunch of wannabes that glom onto causes and rip on Arte for the usual brain dead narratives to try to get internet "clout".

It's just a bunch of dinks reliving their high school lives on the internet.

1 minute ago, Fourts said:

You know that answer Chuck -- someone will get upset no matter what we do. lol.  That's the fan(atic) in us all. 

True. 

But let me ask this a different way?

If the Angels were to select a position player in this draft over a pitcher, which one would you be happy with them selecting?

30 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

is anyone going to be upset if we get a position player in this draft since we don't have a 2nd rounder?

I'm only gonna be upset if when the draft is done they fail to go out and sign 40+ guys to 20k contracts...   It would be the Baldoquin situation on roids

13 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm only gonna be upset if when the draft is done they fail to go out and sign 40+ guys to 20k contracts...   It would be the Baldoquin situation in roids

Bingo.  that's what i am looking at as well.  

I didn't mean to say previously that the Angels/Arte might not be all-in for winning.  Certainly Arte wants to win and he's been a great owner (better than most).  But it's the WAY it's being done sometimes that concerns me.  I want a smart organization that builds from within (again, the Stoneman Angels path...not the Bavasi path).  Best way to get results is to hire good scouts, baseball people, development coaches, etc. and spending on the right places (i.e., internal).  Here we are presented with a great opportunity.  Will we take advantage of it?  I'm optimist...but very concerned at the same time (due to history and the recent scouts issue).  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Did Stoneman hire good scouts?  We didn’t draft particularly well under him.  

His hires were still around  for the 2009 draft....  Also, the greatness of his drafts/farm was the incredible depth it created.  When the flashy guys flamed out the secondary guys came in.  Catcher, Mathis was the name guy, Naps the second guy.  1b had Kotch, with Kendrys behind him.  SS had Wood as the headliner with Aybar second.  2B was Callaspo, then Howie.  Third was DMac but then they ultimately circled back to Callaspo....   Where Stoneman didn't get a lot of hits was on the mound.... Lots of flameouts and injuries but two of his biggest failed SPs ended up being the backbone of the pen, Frankie and that beautiful chain smoking bastard, Scot Shields!.

So yeah he scouted extremely well..  And when JD came on board and fired them the Yanks and Sox lined up to hire them....