• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trumped

53 minutes ago, fishbulb said:

Or people could figure it out and we could be safe rather than "Let's Open!" This virus will impose terms on us if we don't do things correctly.

We are imposing an entire generation of kids with a lack of education on us if the same lockdown of schools continues. The rich gate students will be fine, the rest will suffer. 

• Replies 49.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UndertheHalo

• Lou

• Jason

• Blarg

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

We are imposing an entire generation of kids with a lack of education on us if the same lockdown of schools continues. The rich gate students will be fine, the rest will suffer. 

When I was in Vegas, the mom there homeschooling her kid gave me a startling number.  In Vegas, only 40% of the students have access to a computer and internet.  

Another thing I heard on the news yesterday.  LAUSD is touting that almost 100% have computers and internet provided to them.  But 15% haven't used them, or logged on to do schoolwork.  Looking on the webs, LAUSD has 735k students.  So that means 100k ain't doing squat.

There is no admittance by the school system as to how few students can participate in online classes either because a lack of technology, a language or developmental barrier. This is the school board not knowing their student population and insisting they are all at the same level of capabilities as their top performing students. 

3 hours ago, halomatt said:

Impossible to put a date on it.  Depends on how much society wants to do the work to bring down the rate of infection. 

In our graduating class of 50, 8 kids didn’t graduate.  If this continues ad nauseum those numbers will continue to rise and the others will keep suffering the collateral damage of a substandard education.

17 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

In our graduating class of 50, 8 kids didn’t graduate.  If this continues ad nauseum those numbers will continue to rise and the others will keep suffering the collateral damage of a substandard education.

It's not impossible to put things in place to allow kids to return to school safely. 

24 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Yes everyone agrees it’s important for schools to open up just like the economy but I think what you fail to realize, just like trump, is that both those things are controlled by the virus. You can’t open up schools(and keep them open) until the virus is controlled. Just like the economy is not going back to normal until the virus is controlled. So you are barking up the wrong tree. The right tree is on Pennsylvania Avenue who continues to ignore the root cause of the problem

56 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

When I was in Vegas, the mom there homeschooling her kid gave me a startling number.  In Vegas, only 40% of the students have access to a computer and internet.  

Another thing I heard on the news yesterday.  LAUSD is touting that almost 100% have computers and internet provided to them.  But 15% haven't used them, or logged on to do schoolwork.  Looking on the webs, LAUSD has 735k students.  So that means 100k ain't doing squat.

That Vegas number is a gross generalization. The local paper here, which will take any opportunity to slam the public schools, says that number is more like 90% have access to computers and the Internet. As with anything, though, the devil is in the details. Lower-income families are three times less likely to have access to technology like that. That is an issue local schools are working on. My school allowed all kids that needed them to check out Chrome books. We surveyed families and let them know we had these computers, which are for student use anyway, available. Distance learning is not ideal, but we’re doing all we can to make sure technology is available. I know the district has also partnered with Cox and T-Mobile to get Internet and tablets to kids who need them as well.

10 minutes ago, fishbulb said:

It's not impossible to put things in place to allow kids to return to school safely. 

With current social distancing "suggestions", I think it will be extremely difficult to have all kids back in school. I am in favor of having various options as there will be some parents that will not want their kid in a school classroom anymore and would prefer distance learning. I think something like that is a good starting point in the discussion. 

8 minutes ago, tennischmp said:

Yes everyone agrees it’s important for schools to open up just like the economy but I think what you fail to realize, just like trump, is that both those things are controlled by the virus. You can’t open up schools(and keep them open) until the virus is controlled. Just like the economy is not going back to normal until the virus is controlled. So you are barking up the wrong tree. The right tree is on Pennsylvania Avenue who continues to ignore the root cause of the problem

You are assuming that this virus will ever be under control. How many other viruses and bacteria have been out there for our entire lives that are never under control? We may have to accept that this is just something we will have to live with now. Just like we do with all the other germs out there. 

This is the email I received from my son's school district last week.

Dear SVUSD Community,

We want to begin by again expressing our gratitude for your support during the school dismissals.  We miss our students and are continuing to work on a plan to bring us all safely back to campus when we begin the 2020-21 school year on August 17th.  As we’ve previously shared, we have gathered input from stakeholders through student, staff, and parent surveys, our District Think @Tank, and our employee group leaders regarding reopening plans.  This information, in combination with guidance from local and state agencies, will be utilized as we finalize our plans for reopening schools to be presented to the SVUSD Board of Education later in July.  We understand that everyone wants to know what the SVUSD plan is, and we appreciate your continued patience as we finalize the details.  As we did throughout the school dismissals, when the Board of Education has approved more solidified plans for re-opening our schools, we will communicate those plans with our entire community.

We are currently considering the following alternatives for re-opening our sites:

• full return to school “as normal”, with implemented health protocols
  • blended model with some time spent at school and some time at home
  • full distance learning is available through our established K-12 SVUSD Virtual Academy for families who want their children to remain at home next school year

As a public school district, we adhere to the county and state guidance that we receive, and this guidance continues to change at a very rapid rate. However, I can assure you that we are taking all updated recommendations into consideration as we evaluate different reopening scenarios. 

In order to keep our staff and students safe for a possible full in-person return in the fall, we have purchased materials including face shields for teachers, desk shields for students, and additional safety supplies.  We will share all safety precautions that are being taken as we finalize our reopening plans.

I understand you are trying to make plans for your children and arrange schedules, however, plans released today would inevitably need to be altered based on the updated information we will continue to receive in the coming weeks. We would rather release more definitive plans in late July.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding of our planning process as we continue to hope that we can open traditionally in August, while also planning for alternate scenarios.

Sincerely,

Crystal Turner, Ed.D.
Superintendent

1 minute ago, Jason said:

You are assuming that this virus will ever be under control. How many other viruses and bacteria have been out there for our entire lives that are never under control? We may have to accept that this is just something we will have to live with now. Just like we do with all the other germs out there. 

Yes I have stated this before but many other countries have controlled the virus and have started opening up schools. All those countries Donny tweeted about in his rant such as Germany, Sweden and a couple others he mentioned. What he failed to point out was those counties had a total daily case count of like 500 combined and a population of 100 million. 

1 minute ago, tennischmp said:

Yes I have stated this before but many other countries have controlled the virus and have started opening up schools. All those countries Donny tweeted about in his rant such as Germany, Sweden and a couple others he mentioned. What he failed to point out was those counties had a total daily case count of like 500 combined and a population of 100 million. 

It will come back to them unless they've developed some type of immunity 

1 hour ago, tennischmp said:

The problem is he is right and wrong.  Schools should be opened up in probably 80% of the country.  It's the 20%, mainly urban areas that will have issues.  In other words opening schools up in LA is a lot different than opening schools up in Barstow.  Heck, opening up in LAUSD is going to be a lot different than if the Marlboro school in Hancock Park opened up.  

5 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

The problem is he is right and wrong.  Schools should be opened up in probably 80% of the country.  It's the 20%, mainly urban areas that will have issues.  In other words opening schools up in LA is a lot different than opening schools up in Barstow.  Heck, opening up in LAUSD is going to be a lot different than if the Marlboro school in Hancock Park opened up.  

It really isn't because people travel, parents travel, with how contagious this virus is all it takes is one trip to LA and that school in Barstow can have an outbreak. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

It will come back to them unless they've developed some type of immunity 

It doesn't have to come back if the testing and contact tracing is good and people quarantine when they test positive or are contacted due to a possible exposure.

Problem now is that cases are so high it's impossible to contact trace every one