• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Policy Reform

25 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don’t support destroying the few remaining bastions of union power.  Public workers are still workers and all workers should be able to organize.  The police unions are a problem because of the poisoned culture of police in America.  Not because they’re unionized.  

Public unions are a cancer. The effect they have on the police is the same everywhere but manifests itself in different ways.

1 minute ago, Randy Gradishar said:

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2020/06/03/457251670/how-much-do-we-need-the-police

Higher taxes and legalizing all drugs would help too. The war on drugs is just embarrassing.

Not only the war on the drugs but our psychotically punitive legal system.  Gotta keep those private prisons filled !

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Public unions are a cancer. The effect they have on the police is the same everywhere but manifests itself in different ways.

I’m willing to concede that some aspects of public sector unions are problematic.  But full abolition of public unions would be a terrible blow to already pathetically weak labor in this country.  It’s not something I could personally get behind.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

The police unions own every single local election. Many times the Police Chiefs don’t even have power or control over their own departments. The police unions go directly to city council and call the shots. It’s a dirty game.  

3 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Yup, I'm actually reading an article about Portugal right now and it mentions TUSOA's "addiction to punishment". Honestly, even the bloodlust here for Adenhart's killer rubbed me the wrong way *ducks*.

It might not have worked in The Wire, but it's working in real life.

If we want to damage violent gang land criminals legalize all drugs and focus on treatment.  It’s humane and it’s the right way to address the problem. 

14 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

He makes a lot of great points. 

There are other issues here though. I think in general these more liberal ideas require a more peaceful, equitable, well off society and that is something we don't have. It's a chicken/egg scenario. If we are going to put some of these changes in place there will be winners and losers. Less police might be a way forward, but that means there will be less police...

13 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m willing to concede that some aspects of public sector unions are problematic.  But full abolition of public unions would be a terrible blow to already pathetically weak labor in this country.  It’s not something I could personally get behind.  

They create a power feedback loop. Democrats give them influence and wage increases, in turn the unions increase their contributions to democrats keeping them in power. This disenfranchises everyone else. 

We need to support labor in this country but that shouldn't mean blanket immunity. We should try and find ways to support labor that do not have such significant draw backs.

21 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Yup, I'm actually reading an article about Portugal right now and it mentions TUSOA's "addiction to punishment". Honestly, even the bloodlust here for Adenhart's killer rubbed me the wrong way *ducks*.

It might not have worked in The Wire, but it's working in real life.

One issue with the legal system is we are not sure if it's about reform or punishment. Locking kids up with a bunch of criminals only makes them better criminals. It also doesn't help that you can't get a job in this country if you've committed a felony. There is plenty of data on violence and criminal behavior that are currently ignored by our legal system.

They could repeal probably 90% of non-violent crimes. That would be a good start.

End the current judicial process which entices the vast majority of charged individuals to plea out and accept felonies because prosecutors threaten harsher charges if pleas aren’t reached. 

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don’t support destroying the few remaining bastions of union power.  Public workers are still workers and all workers should be able to organize.  The police unions are a problem because of the poisoned culture of police in America.  Not because they’re unionized.  

I think being unionized generally makes employee discipline more difficult. This hoes for any unionized workers. Many of our elected officials are slaves to them as well so it will never happen 

31 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

He makes a lot of great points. 

There are other issues here though. I think in general these more liberal ideas require a more peaceful, equitable, well off society and that is something we don't have. It's a chicken/egg scenario. If we are going to put some of these changes in place there will be winners and losers. Less police might be a way forward, but that means there will be less police...

All you guys with big cocks can try and figure out how to defend yourselves without the police. My little wiener and I will figure it out pretty quickly 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think being unionized generally makes employee discipline more difficult. This hoes for any unionized workers. Many of our elected officials are slaves to them as well so it will never happen 

So you hold the unions accountable for their part in this. They should be creating standards for their members and if not we expose the leadership. everybody on every side needs to be held to a higher standard

40 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

If we want to damage violent gang land criminals legalize all drugs and focus on treatment.  It’s humane and it’s the right way to address the problem. 

Makes sense but have seen how many drug addicted homeless we have? We aren’t anywhere close to properly dealing with them 

2 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

So you hold the unions accountable for their part in this. They should be creating standards for their members and if not we expose the leadership. everybody on every side needs to be held to a higher standard

Absolutely but politicians will cover for them. There’s to much money thrown their way for them to deal with it 

Edited by Jason

4 hours ago, fishbulb said:

I don't care to run a search, but based on your malleable position tendencies, chances are you were legitimately pushing for full reperations a mere four to five years ago.

He was in a lower tax bracket then. 

13 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Like was mentioned in the Astros thread, the union is obligated to defend their members. Think of them like a public defender but for a worker... 

42 minutes ago, Jason said:

Makes sense but have seen how many drug addicted homeless we have? We aren’t anywhere close to properly dealing with them 

There’s no real short term solution.  And a huge problem with the homeless population are people that have been chewed up by the foster care system turned loose and they end up how they end up.  The sad truth is that many of these people are ruined forever.  There’s no rehabilitation possible for many of them.  Much more needs to be done to take care of children who are abandoned.  The problem needs to be addressed before they end up drug addicted on the streets with mental problems.  It’s a tough thing with no easy answers.  All of these social issues are very complicated.  They are drastically more severe because of austerity.  We need fewer cops and way more social workers. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

4 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Cutting police budgets and removing their military equipment is a good start.  There should also be far, far more independent oversight regarding experts and training brought in to work with police departments.  We don’t need the police to behave like occupying troops.   Finally and very obviously, these cops that constantly have complaints brought against them - particularly for physical and certainly lethal incidents need to be handled much more quickly.  We can’t have cops that the community constantly report for abuse remain on the force.  They need to be gotten rid of quickly. 

i don't agree with your first sentence, but the rest of it is reasonable and necessary.

i think we have a tendency to forget how many seriously evil people are out there, something TORS has mentioned a few times. i fear that with fewer police, we'll all be living in gotham city and dodge city in pretty short order.

i liked mayor garcetti's suggestions tonight about oversight and training and think they are very necessary and way overdue.

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

There’s no real short term solution.  And a huge problem with the homeless population are people that have been chewed up by the foster care system turned loose and they end up how they end up.  The sad truth is that many of these people are ruined forever.  There’s no rehabilitation possible for many of them.  Much more needs to be done to take care of children who are abandoned.  The problem needs to be addressed before they end up drug addicted on the streets with mental problems.  It’s a tough thing with no easy answers.  All of these social issues are very complicated.  They are drastically more severe because of austerity.  We need fewer cops and way more social workers. 

this is why i'm not in favor of legalizing all drugs. while it might solve some problems with users and dealers, it will also create some other serious problems with addiction and homelessness, and whatever other problems that will come with what is likely to be an increase in usage.

i'm curious to know if there are enough stats gathered on legal marijuana use to see what has changed, increased, or decreased because of it. i'd look long and hard at that information before proceeding with anything else. i'm most interested in knowing if there's been an increase in DUIs and home burglaries.

It really just needs to stop being a good ol boys club. I grew up playing high level sports and in a military family, I mention the latter because I've heard stories.

When I played ball and someone did something or was accused of something I felt the need to protect my brother and a lot of times nothing happened when pulled into the coaches office, who also didn't want egg on his face for running a loose ship.

But there is a huge difference with protecting a teammate and affecting someone else's live. We can't let the bad cops keep getting off or protecting them.

I still think about the Eric Gardner situation where those cops murdered him and got let off. There's just no accountability.

If my CPA fucks up, I fire him. If my secretary fucks up, I fire her. If a cop fucks up, he gets off. It's fucked up shit.

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Like was mentioned in the Astros thread, the union is obligated to defend their members. Think of them like a public defender but for a worker... 

They should be representing the best interest of the members which is actually the health of the industry. Creating standards that help the given industry stay strong and viable and giving incentives for superior work should rplace propping up the bottom tier. I know it's not going to happen but this is the reform thread