• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB To Add More Playoff Teams

St1ck

I like it. 

The key to playoff ratings being higher and Keeping the postseason short is to play concurrent or overlapping games. 

Season ends on Saturday afternoon. Sunday is for any playoff games. Sunday night is the reality tv show where they pick their opponents.

Tuesday-Friday all four Wild Card Series are played. Two start on Tuesday, Two on Wednesday. Three games in three days.

Saturday Division Series Start in NL (Tuesday starts) and Sunday they start in AL series. they finish following Monday. 7 games in 9 days 

Wednesday night the AL and NL CS start. 7 games in 9 days. 

World Series starts following Friday night. 

is over by Following Saturday. 7 games in 9 days. 

And I’d move it up if both teams finish in less than 7 so that they only get one day off. 

I don’t get all the vitriol and frustration at Manfred. I understand nobody likes change and this does diminish the regular season. But it also goes a fair distance in fixing one of the players (and frankly fans) grievances, tanking teams.

Teams tank because they don’t see a realistic shot at a playoff spot. More teams in the playoffs means less tanking teams, and not just two each league, but 3-4 more who believe they have a legit shot at making it.

It also turns the 1 game playoff into a three game, which fixes the grievance everyone has had about the one game playoff. It gives one team a bye in this 3 game wild card round so that winning the league means something. That feels more like the pre-LCS era. The other division winners have home field through the first round so they have some advantages. 

Other than it being foreign and people don’t like change I can see a lot of reasonable things about the proposal. It doesn’t seem completely absurd as some are saying. I mean the wild card round is only 8 years old and the division rounds is 25 years old in current iterations. That isn’t some long history in my mind. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Just not worth getting worked up about. 

Haven't read the thread, but I get why they would want more teams in the playoffs. If you're a casual fan you're more likely to watch the playoffs if your team is in it. Having division winners playing a 3 game series is dumb, but I wouldn't be against more teams making the playoffs. 

If more teams are added to the playoffs I would add 1 more, so a total of 3 wildcard teams. If you win your division you advance to the ALDS/NLDS (increase the DS to 7 games). Wildcards 2 and 3 play each other one time the day after the final regular season game. The winner of 2/3 plays the wild card team with the best record one time the next day. From there they can have the team with the best record choose who they want to play. In order to avoid playing into the middle of November I would get rid of the of some of the off days forcing teams to use 4 or 5 starters instead of 3 or 4.

In this scenario there would be 12 playoff teams

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

We can all agree it’s dumb.  However when teams start to pick who they play and then the lower seed beats them, that will be great for AngelsWin and narratives and trash talk and butthurt and all that nonsense.  

It’s just a stupid concept. When the 2nd seeded team selects their opponent and then stomps them like a bug, that’s demoralizing. They need to leave it alone. We already have enough playoff teams in place now. 

Just now, RendZone said:

It’s just a stupid concept. When the 2nd seeded team selects their opponent and then stomps them like a bug, that’s demoralizing. They need to leave it alone. We already have enough playoff teams in place now. 

I agree we have enough playoff teams.  However the rest is nonsense.  Wild Card teams have won the World Series. A team barely above .500 won the World Series.   It’s baseball and lesser teams beat great teams all the damn time. In 2014 the Angels has the best record, they would have chosen the Royals and the Royals swept them and went to game 7 of the World Series.  

What needs to change is the length of the season, we can decide who the best teams are in 154 games.  Then add the Wild Card Best of 5 played over 5 consecutive days starting the Tuesday after the season ends.  If by chance there is a rain out, play a double header.  Regular playoff start Monday the week after the regular season.  If you won your division you get to line up your pitching against the Wild Card team.  

Just now, RBM said:

I like it more now than when I first read about it yesterday.

Baseball is a tournament sport and this has a tournament feel to it.

With this format Mike Trout's Angels would have four playoff appearances instead of one. What's not to like about that.

Is that how others feel about it?  I certainly don’t.  It’s a season long grind of 162 games that ends in playoffs.