• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB To Add More Playoff Teams

St1ck

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Come one Lou.  You know you want to hear my ideas on how to get the season down to 154 games and shed two weeks off the season and have it be a win for the fans.  Oh and every team gets Mondays off.

2015 taught you nothing. We were in it until the end. 

I believe achieving goals that are harder to attain are more rewarding and more enjoyable than goals that are easily attained.  Awarding nearly half the teams in each league a birth in the postseason is crazy, IMO.  Baseball has to stop trying to be like other sports. It's not. It's unique. It's special. I'm not adverse to change. I'm open to a more precise way of calling balls and strikes. I'd like to see the DH in the NL. I just don't like the idea of prolonging the season and allowing teams to dictate who they want to play, etc. I understand that play-off baseball is exciting and there is more drama - and everyone loves drama - but this idea doesn't resonate with me at all.

33 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I believe achieving goals that are harder to attain are more rewarding and more enjoyable than goals that are easily attained.  Awarding nearly half the teams in each league a birth in the postseason is crazy, IMO.  Baseball has to stop trying to be like other sports. It's not. It's unique. It's special. I'm not adverse to change. I'm open to a more precise way of calling balls and strikes. I'd like to see the DH in the NL. I just don't like the idea of prolonging the season and allowing teams to dictate who they want to play, etc. I understand that play-off baseball is exciting and there is more drama - and everyone loves drama - but this idea doesn't resonate with me at all.

This is perfect. 

12 hours ago, RBM said:

I think it would be six first round series.

Good catch. Still I would play them concurrently over three days. The reason the playoffs go so long is that there is never a game on one channel and another game on another channel.

15 hours ago, GregAlso said:

I don’t get all the vitriol and frustration at Manfred. I understand nobody likes change and this does diminish the regular season. But it also goes a fair distance in fixing one of the players (and frankly fans) grievances, tanking teams.

Teams tank because they don’t see a realistic shot at a playoff spot. More teams in the playoffs means less tanking teams, and not just two each league, but 3-4 more who believe they have a legit shot at making it.

It also turns the 1 game playoff into a three game, which fixes the grievance everyone has had about the one game playoff. It gives one team a bye in this 3 game wild card round so that winning the league means something. That feels more like the pre-LCS era. The other division winners have home field through the first round so they have some advantages. 

Other than it being foreign and people don’t like change I can see a lot of reasonable things about the proposal. It doesn’t seem completely absurd as some are saying. I mean the wild card round is only 8 years old and the division rounds is 25 years old in current iterations. That isn’t some long history in my mind. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Just not worth getting worked up about. 

I'd like to see baseball do everything it can to allow teams to rebuild faster. The MLB pipeline and farm system can be painfully slow, taking small market teams in particular 2-4 years to rebuild.

Trading draft picks (allowing teams to target windows of contention by harvesting picks from other teams over a one-year period would infuse a lot of talent into a defined time range), fixing service time issues for calling players up, and other potential methods of assisting quick rebuilds would be useful in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I agree we have enough playoff teams.  However the rest is nonsense.  Wild Card teams have won the World Series. A team barely above .500 won the World Series.   It’s baseball and lesser teams beat great teams all the damn time. In 2014 the Angels has the best record, they would have chosen the Royals and the Royals swept them and went to game 7 of the World Series.  

they won the world series that year.

edit: idoit!

53 minutes ago, Lou said:

That's incorrect

i had never heard that before either, but they were talking about it all morning long on the radio in relation to this exact question. 

i can't find that anywhere either, but i definitely didn't mishear that. if i was the type of dude to call into a sports show, then i would, but i'm not, so i won't.

i'll assume it's wrong again.

57 minutes ago, Lou said:

That's incorrect

8 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i had never heard that before either, but they were talking about it all morning long on the radio in relation to this exact question. 

i can't find that anywhere either, but i definitely didn't mishear that. if i was the type of dude to call into a sports show, then i would, but i'm not, so i won't.

i'll assume it's wrong again.

turns out it's true.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article90401707.html

1 hour ago, ettin said:

I'd like to see baseball do everything it can to allow teams to rebuild faster. The MLB pipeline and farm system can be painfully slow, taking small market teams in particular 2-4 years to rebuild.

Trading draft picks (allowing teams to target windows of contention by harvesting picks from other teams over a one-year period would infuse a lot of talent into a defined time range), fixing service time issues for calling players up, and other potential methods of assisting quick rebuilds would be useful in my opinion.

I don’t know I see an easy fix for service time issues. It needs something but I haven’t seen a suggestions that really changes it that much. I would love to see them trading draft picks and I can’t find one reason why that shouldn’t happen. I can’t believe it hasn’t happened already. 

40 minutes ago, ukyah said:

I have never heard of this before.

I googled it and I only found articles similar to yours.  From that particular time period.  I never found an article of a team actually picking their region.  As a college basketball fan, I thought I would have heard of that.  And since all the media and fans do is second guess, I am sure we would have heard about it.

This article from the NCAA, from last fall, mentions nothing about it.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-10-19/how-field-68-teams-picked-march-madness

Not picking a fight or looking for an argument.  I'd love to hear an example of the #1 seed picking their region.

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

I have never heard of this before.

I googled it and I only found articles similar to yours.  From that particular time period.  I never found an article of a team actually picking their region.  As a college basketball fan, I thought I would have heard of that.  And since all the media and fans do is second guess, I am sure we would have heard about it.

This article from the NCAA, from last fall, mentions nothing about it.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-10-19/how-field-68-teams-picked-march-madness

Not picking a fight or looking for an argument.  I'd love to hear an example of the #1 seed picking their region.

Yeah, same here 

It's kind of moot since every team will select the location closest to their campus.

Plus, they don't pick their opponents, which is incredibly stupid.