• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kris Bryant

ettin

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

So Kris Bryant lost his grievance hearing and has two remaining years of arbitration control. He is owed $18.6M for 2020 and likely something close to $30M, assuming he has a normal season next year, in 2021.

Based on a presumed three-year running average of 4.6 WAR for 2020 and 2021, using a base $9.5M for next season and a 7% increase on $/WAR for 2021, he has approximately $40M in surplus value, give or take a few million (you could make a case for $50M or so I think, due to scarcity). He has played 3B, LF, RF, and some 1B and CF over the last three seasons, although I think we would all agree he would never play CF again.

My HYPOTHETICAL question is this: Would you trade Brandon Marsh plus a lesser prospect for two years of Kris Bryant and put him at 1B on the Angels roster, super-charging our offense for the next two seasons? In your response assume that the Angels either a) stick with the current rotation of Ohtani, Heaney, Bundy, Canning, and Teheran or b) they pick up another starter in trade, such as Boyd, Gray, or another mid-rotation starter type. In other words they stick with their marginal or modestly upgraded rotation in order to put the best offense humanly possible on the field.

6 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I don’t feel like he makes sense at 1B. Infield just doesn’t seem like a place we can upgrade easily. 

What about RF and keeping Adell down in the Minors one or two more years? Or put him in RF for 2020 and move him to 1B in 2021?

Defensively, Bryant's range and ability is declining already. I'd hesitate to even call him a viable defensive 3B for much longer.

By the way the reason I even brought this up is because Eppler himself was quoted as saying, "There are multiple ways to build a ballclub.", near the beginning of the off-season, so one of those ways is to go offense-heavy with a modest rotation and an above average bullpen, for example.

Offense, defense, rotation, and relief are all options to improve the squad, so feel free to plug in your thoughts on that more general matter as you desire.

At this point I would personally like to find one more rotation/long-man upgrade as I have been suggesting in the 2019-2020 Off-Season Starting Pitcher Trade Series and, if we are able, another relief arm, while running out one of Walsh, Thaiss, Ward, or La Stella at 1B (the latter I'd prefer to keep in a utility role but he can hit RHP for sure, particularly as a lead-off hitter if needed).

9 minutes ago, ettin said:

What about RF and keeping Adell down in the Minors one or two more years? Or put him in RF for 2020 and move him to 1B in 2021?

Defensively, Bryant's range and ability is declining already. I'd hesitate to even call him a viable defensive 3B for much longer.

It’s an interesting idea, but it would have to be part of a larger plan, IMO. As an isolated move, I don’t think it makes sense. 

26 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Only if we get Darvish, Lester, Quintana, or Hendricks as well

I agree. 

I wouldn't mind sending them Marsh, Suarez or Soriano and say someone like Thiass for Bryant and either Darvish or Hendricks. 

While I dream of a future OF of Adell, Trout and Marsh... I think that an OF of Adell, Trout and Adams would be equally as exciting. 

So that said, I would trade Marsh if it meant we got a pitcher back and another stud middle of the order hitter that can play RF (until Adell is ready) or 1B for the next two years. 

I'd rather keep Marsh and have Stella make about 80 starts at 1B (Albert the other 82) and 40 starts at DH (Ohtani 100 DH starts and Albert 22 DH starts).

Then re-assess 1B after the 2020 season.

Bryant costs too much money wise, and as tank said, doesn't necessarily fill an important need.       

Edited by Angel Oracle

Short term gain, long term pain.

Unless... This would be part of a different philosophy two years from now. Pujols will be off the books. Simmons may or may not be signed. If not, it would mean finding a younger cost effective shortstop from somewhere. Upton eats up a ton of money. If he could somehow be moved (even if the Angels have to eat a portion).

Without Pujols, Simmons, Upton in two years the budget resets differently. Dealing with shortstop will be the biggest issue, but with a deeper hitting line up you would just need a good defensive shortstop. And if La Stella and Goodwin play up to recent standards they can be shuffled around as needed.

Losing a key young prospect may or may not be tough, depending on how major league progress takes but you have to take risks. 

Pitching still is the big problem, but opportunities will still come along. Like acquiring Rendon, there is immediate value in loading a lineup with proven stars.

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

this is a pyrrhic victory for the cubs. that dude is gone in two years. trade him now for something, cubbies.

go ahead, you can look it up.

I did. 

A cub is the young of a fox, bear, lion, or other carnivorous mammal.

23 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

They can trade him, and the asking price just went up significantly with the extra year of club control.

Actually it didn't do it as much as you might think. That extra year tacks on about an extra $15M-$20M in surplus value, which is nothing to sneeze at (that is a good quality prospect) but with Bryant probably making something on the order of $30M in 2021 that extra year of control comes at a very high price that mitigates some of the perceived value, based on his three-year running average of 4.6 WAR (which is what I am presuming he will produce in 2020 and 2021). But yes the asking price went up, of course.