• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash

Claude

9 hours ago, m0nkey said:

I’m sure out of all the years Kobe’s taken his helicopter, there have been plenty of times when he flew in less than ideal conditions and obviously turned out fine. Just an unfortunate day yesterday. 

There was a neighborhood resident interviewed on the radio (forget which station) who said he's lived there many years and the fog on Sunday morning was the worst he's ever seen. 

This is all speculation, but I believe this was the likely scenario. I just don't understand why the LAPD is forced to ground it's helicopters, but they allow a civilian copter to fly?

Some pilots local to the Los Angeles area have started weighing in with their own theories as to what went wrong with the helicopter crash Sunday morning that killed NBA legend Kobe Bryant and eight others, including Bryant's 13-year-old daughter.

Basing their assessment on the flight tracker and the accident scene, they believe the pilot, Ara Zobayan, assumed that he had cleared all of the mountains and was proceeding to back to his destination when he hit another mountain. At one point the pilot's elevation dropped dramatically from 2,000 feet to 1,700 feet. While it was likely to go under the fog, which was so thick that the LAPD had grounded its helicopter flights, it seems that the pilot misjudged the landscape of the area entirely.

https://popculture.com/sports/2020/01/28/kobe-bryant-helicopter-crash-local-pilot-theories/

So last March I took a helicopter from El Monte up to Arroyo Grande, my understanding is it is a similar flight path to the one Kobe’s helicopter was on.  I’ll share some images from the flight up.  A few things that I found amazing using a helicopter for commuting are it never felt like you were going fast, when we were probably going close to 180 miles per hour.  Second when we would hit heavy cloud cover the helicopter would simply rise up and above the clouds.  Third it really did feel like you were hovering more than flying, it that makes sense.  I had been on helicopters before to do tours in Hawaii or along the cost, but to commute it felt different.  I have no idea if one helicopter is different than the other.  I was in a Bell military grade helicopter that happens to be the only one privately owned in the country, which might have something to do with how safe it felt.  The regulations on the helicopter is something crazy, like it has to be within 90% of its original performance in order for it to go up in the air.  They are meticulous about its maintenance.  I was told that buying a used helicopter is basically the same cost as a new one because of this and the fact that there is no wait.  Anyway here are some pics:

37E0985B-E755-4C1E-89B4-2A79373039F6.jpeg

A7602F5D-814F-4C67-A3A4-0450C9D275CD.jpeg

6AC1DAD6-2A81-43B3-A761-4F74924A72D8.jpeg

5C6C2124-4597-47F3-AC2D-BAC0378BF2F2.jpeg

94E948C1-621D-4F08-AFE2-A18AEA2F0C81.jpeg

Instead of going below the clouds, why didn't the pilot go up and above? That chopper can go up to 15,000 ft. and there were zero clouds at Camarillo airport from what I heard. They just could have flown by instruments at a safe altitude until they reached their destination. It seems like a pointless risk to me but I'm no expert. Maybe VLL or someone with more knowledge on the subject can chime in and explain that?

19 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

Instead of going below the clouds, why didn't the pilot go up and above? That chopper can go up to 15,000 ft. and there were zero clouds at Camarillo airport from what I heard. They just could have flown by instruments at a safe altitude until they reached their destination. It seems like a pointless risk to me but I'm no expert. Maybe VLL or someone with more knowledge on the subject can chime in and explain that?

There's a whole lot of air traffic in Southern Cal. Once you get to a certain altitude you get into the landing and takeoff corridors of the scheduled flights

4 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

There's a whole lot of air traffic in Southern Cal. Once you get to a certain altitude you get into the landing and takeoff corridors of the scheduled flights

But wouldn't flight control from one of the airports then be directing them? It would seem like that would be the protocol if flying low was hazardous. Just thinking out loud.

7 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

But wouldn't flight control from one of the airports then be directing them? It would seem like that would be the protocol if flying low was hazardous. Just thinking out loud.

I haven't really looked into this but I would think if flying low was hazardous they would probably been told to just land

There's been comments reported from other pilots that said in that situation given the fog the pilot should have increased his altitude.  Sad situation all around that sounds like it was due to pilot error but it's not like any answer or whatever the NTSB concludes is going to make it any easier for the families that lost someone.    

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

So last March I took a helicopter from El Monte up to Arroyo Grande, my understanding is it is a similar flight path to the one Kobe’s helicopter was on.  I’ll share some images from the flight up.  A few things that I found amazing using a helicopter for commuting are it never felt like you were going fast, when we were probably going close to 180 miles per hour.  Second when we would hit heavy cloud cover the helicopter would simply rise up and above the clouds.  Third it really did feel like you were hovering more than flying, it that makes sense.  I had been on helicopters before to do tours in Hawaii or along the cost, but to commute it felt different.  I have no idea if one helicopter is different than the other.  I was in a Bell military grade helicopter that happens to be the only one privately owned in the country, which might have something to do with how safe it felt.  The regulations on the helicopter is something crazy, like it has to be within 90% of its original performance in order for it to go up in the air.  They are meticulous about its maintenance.  I was told that buying a used helicopter is basically the same cost as a new one because of this and the fact that there is no wait.  Anyway here are some pics:

37E0985B-E755-4C1E-89B4-2A79373039F6.jpeg

A7602F5D-814F-4C67-A3A4-0450C9D275CD.jpeg

6AC1DAD6-2A81-43B3-A761-4F74924A72D8.jpeg

5C6C2124-4597-47F3-AC2D-BAC0378BF2F2.jpeg

94E948C1-621D-4F08-AFE2-A18AEA2F0C81.jpeg

Great pics Strad. My first ride on a helicopter resulted in me losing my breakfast inside the cabin. Pilot was pissed off at me. 

I can't ever recall a time when an entire city mourned so much after a tragic death like Kobe's. It's truly amazing.

I got the news while sitting in a parking lot waiting for my wife to come out of a store. It showed up on a news site on my phone. I couldn't believe my eyes.

In the hours that followed, I sat fixated on the television watching the news and then all the tributes and all of the people, fans. celebrity, broadcasters, etc., etc. recounting their stories and the way he impacted their lives and the lives of others. It was at that point, that I realized I had no idea the breath and width of what he had accomplished in his 41 years. I stopped following the NBA several years ago and really never kept up on anything related to basketball, including Kobe during that time. I marveled at what I heard, watched and read on Sunday and into Monday. What a legacy. Not just in his basketball career, but in all facets of his life. 

The pain and sadness people are feeling is real.The magnitude of the number of people his death has impacted is unlike anything I can ever recall. His reach transcended sports.

Like many, I can't stop thinking about it all. It certainly puts things in perspective.

Edited by True Grich

7 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Great pics Strad. My first ride on a helicopter resulted in me losing my breakfast inside the cabin. Pilot was pissed off at me. 

My only ride in a helicopter had me spending part of the time watching one of the guys sitting in front starting to heave.  The pilot pointed out before we left where the barf bags where should anyone need one.  I didn't care if the guy was going to barf my issue was he never once grabbed the bag and as I was wondering if him vomiting on the controls was going to lead to any issues.

I do the aviation insurance for most of California public entities. The really crappy part of the tragedy is that this type of aircraft (Sikorsky s-76 Blackhawk) has a manufacturer recommendation of 2 pilots in all situations other than emergency rescue missions. This is a military grade aircraft and can be modified to fly single pilot but only in crystal clear conditions. I have pilots who have flown for 30+ years being denied coverage to fly these solo. He should have made the call not to fly the aircraft.

saw ice cube being interviewed. said when he first heard, he didn't believe it so he texted kobe. when he didn't get a reply, he knew.

saw a few people calling out those who were first to report the news for being so quick to break the story before authorities could confirm anything or speak to family members. 

9 minutes ago, Tank said:

saw a few people calling out those who were first to report the news for being so quick to break the story before authorities could confirm anything or speak to family members. 

I read something that said Kobe's wife found out from TMZ contacting her before she heard from the authorities.  Could be wrong but it wouldn't surprise me since this day and age every outlet wants to be the first to break a story.  

Me neither but even if they're scolded, fined or there's social media backlash it's just more clicks and mention for them.  They might break legit stories but to me they're no better than the rag mags like star, enquirer and so on.  To be fair they aren't the only one that does it as in this day and age responsible reporting or doing what's right when it comes to reporting has gone the way of the dinosaur as everyone wants credit and clicks.