• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

• Replies 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amazing Larry

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Not sure if this has anything to do with Theranos’ past attributes to the financial world but there’s a hot spot in hell for Elizabeth Holmes. I hope her turtlenecks are a receptacle to CoV-19.

Edited by Lhalo

5 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Forgive me if this is a craig.

Kevin Durant and three other Nets players test positive for coronavirus.

A player on the Ottawa Senators has tested positive, too, the first hockey player to do so.

5 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I just wonder what is an acceptable outcome in two weeks, a month or whenever that things start to somewhat go back to normal.  They aren't going to completely get rid of the virus and I understand it's about keeping it manageable for the healthcare industry I just don't see how it couldn't make a comeback months down the line. 

This is a really good question to ask, and one I was thinking about earlier.  
Anyone waiting for this to be completely eradicated isn’t be realistic. So what will the CDC decide is the “all clear” moment?

7 hours ago, Tank said:

This is a really good question to ask, and one I was thinking about earlier.  
Anyone waiting for this to be completely eradicated isn’t be realistic. So what will the CDC decide is the “all clear” moment?

When we eradicate it like measles.

4 hours ago, calscuf said:

Yes, but then look at Italy which has scary death rate numbers.  And probably Iran, too but they aren’t being forthcoming.

From what I can gather we still don’t know much about the virus and were using preliminary info out of China as our guide.  Plus, the virus is mutating as it works it way though society. Now apparently these things become less dangerous as they learn their new host (they don’t want us to die), but sometimes they fuck up and become worse (second wave of 1918 flu).  

We really don’t know shit yet.

Why South Korea has so few coronavirus deaths while Italy has so many

Plenty has already been written about how the population of Italy differs from much of the world. According to a UN report in 2015, 28.6% of the Italian population was 60 years old or older (second in the world after Japan at 33%). This compares to South Korea, where 18.5% of the population is at least 60 years of age, ranking 53rd globally.
The impact of this disparity is quickly shown in the analysis of coronavirus deaths in each county. In Italy, 90% of the more than 1,000 deaths occur in those 70 or older.

In other words, South Korea has an outbreak among youngish, non-smoking women, whereas Italy's disease is occurring among the old and the very old, many of whom are smokers. (We do not know the male-female breakdown of Italy's cases).

Edited by gotbeer

9 minutes ago, Redondo said:

^^^ interesting read

Who would'a thought.  CNN.

FYI, I looked at the UN document.  It's pretty thourough.  Top 10 in age over 60 in 2015.  They don't list all the countries, but further in the document, it lists the US as at 20.7%.  Europe is going to get hammered.

• Japan 33.1
  • Italy 28.6
  • Germany 27.6
  • Finland 27.2
  • Greece 27.0
  • Bulgaria 26.9
  • Martinique 26.2
  • Croatia 25.9
  • Latvia 25.7

8 hours ago, angelinkc said:

True. Assuming they didn’t and were unsuspecting carriers it would lower the deaths rate to about .2-.3%. Over double the normal flu but maybe not the end of the world bug. 

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-to-tell-if-you-re-talking-to-a-bot?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Advances in machine learning hint at how bots could become more humanlike. IBM researchers demonstrated a system capable of conjuring up a reasonably coherent argument by mining text. And Google’s Duplex software also shows how AI systems can learn to mimic the nuances of human conversation.

User profile
The most common way to tell if an account is fake is to check out the profile. The most rudimentary bots lack a photo, a link, or any bio. More sophisticated ones might use a photo stolen from the web, or an automatically generated account name.

17 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Yeah, but that would be the stupidest thing to do.  And not just because of  the economy.  If you think a lockdown will suddenly make this thing go away, then you are really just looking at the small picture.  

You lock down this country, say for a month, 2 months.  And you get this under control, hey it's no longer spreading.  Great, open things back up again.  Wait, every single country in the world didn't lock down?  Well, that one tourist comes in, or that one vacationer or businessman goes out and comes back.  And rinse and repeat.  

Whats the alternative?

I agree with what youre saying. But what other option is there?

Shutting everyone down, then testing to see who has it, and quarantining them away from the rest is the only way to do it. Its not flawless. But the other option (not doing it) is far worse.

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

Whats the alternative?

I agree with what youre saying. But what other option is there?

Shutting everyone down, then testing to see who has it, and quarantining them away from the rest is the only way to do it. Its not flawless. But the other option (not doing it) is far worse.

Open things up again.  Live life.  Those with health issues or over a certain age that thinks they are at risk can self quarantine.  (i.e. those that are probably already retired and at home anyways)  Help the few in need, instead of dooming everything.  

Because this isn't going to go away.  And if the report I linked above is correct, those fear mongers saying quarantine should accept that it may take 18 months.  

My biggest concern, aside from the people who get sick and perhaps die from this, is obviously all the little people. All the waiters, and bartenders, etc. 

But we will survive.

As much of a hassle this all is, and as much as the economy will be destroyed.... be thankful its for a bug that has such a low death rate. Its not war, and its not airborne AIDS. 

This could be a lot worse.

2 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Open things up again.  Live life.  Those with health issues or over a certain age that thinks they are at risk can self quarantine.  (i.e. those that are probably already retired and at home anyways)  Help the few in need, instead of dooming everything.  

Because this isn't going to go away.  And if the report I linked above is correct, those fear mongers saying quarantine should accept that it may take 18 months.  

To be clear, whereas the old people are those most at risk, its not "no big deal" to "not old" people. 

Imagine going back in time, and being able to separate everyone for 2 months, with a test in hand, because roughly 15 gay men had developed a rare cancer in los angeles and ny in 1980.... 

Once AIDS was better understood, people assumed if you werent in the "4 H" group, you didnt have to worry. And because the gays, haitians and iv drug users werent considered very high in importance to the masses (like young people looking at old people right now), we more or less ignored it.

Now imagine, again, going back to 1980 to actually be able to test for it.... before it got into the blood supply.... 

I dont think the idea is to lock us up and wait for it to pass. Its to lock us up, test to find who exactly has it, and then specifically remove them from the herd.