• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dallas Keuchel signs with the White Sox (3 years, $55.5 million)

mmc

23 minutes ago, Lou said:

I got my information from reading his HR and AB statistics.  That's how you get HR/AB. 

except you ignore 26 more batters faced in only 4 innings. pro rata stats are less valuable when you ignore context

26 more hits and 2 more hrs allowed at home in 26 at bats

thats why context matters. you keep believing what you want though

remember he pitched 82 innings at home and 78 on the road thats 4 innings. and in those 4 innings he gave up 26 more hits and 2 more hrs

context matters

trying to avoid the short porch affected him

keep believing what you want though

the only thing grandiose about you are your delusions of grandeur in regard to your own intelligence

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Give Ryu the same deal but add $10 million to the vesting option.   

I think wed all do that, but why would he?
He was projected higher and as everyone here says is the far better pitchers so, why would he accept the same deal with a higher vesting? 
Would you?

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

While true, thats actually part of the frustration.  They clearly didnt HAVE to wait, they chose to wait, that might be even worse.   Fortunately most of the FA and such in recent years havent panned out so in hindsight its easy to defend. 

So he was right also if he signs those under performing free agent starters we’d be in worse shape. 

Just now, floplag said:

While true, thats actually part of the frustration.  They clearly didnt HAVE to wait, they chose to wait, that might be even worse.   Fortunately most of the FA and such in recent years havent panned out so in hindsight its easy to defend. 

You're frustrated despite hindsight having proven his course of action defensible?   I'm frustrated he inherited what he did and just about everyone here was bemoaning the loss of the guy that put us there.  

C'est le vie!

1 minute ago, floplag said:

I think wed all do that, but why would he?
He was projected higher and as everyone here says is the far better pitchers so, why would he accept the same deal with a higher vesting? 
Would you?

Well he’s not getting these crazy offers that someone with his stats say he could get because of injury risk.  So if healthy he will get a contract worth $20 plus million a season. 

1 hour ago, Bill Neftleberg said:

first post, i have to think Jay Happ is on his way to the angels. Eppler will call on his buddy Cashman and say I need a starter

it will help lower the yankees tax bill and at this point Happ isnt a bad veteran to have

probably wont cost anything of substance either

If they include a good controllable reliever i am down.

EDIT: Good first post btw.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

So he was right also if he signs those under performing free agent starters we’d be in worse shape. 

As said, hindight makes things easy to defend.  
Weve talked about this and we both agree most werent worth what they got so im not suggesting anything about that aside from the fact that there has been no positive movement on any front in that regard. 

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

You're frustrated despite hindsight having proven his course of action defensible?   I'm frustrated he inherited what he did and just about everyone here was bemoaning the loss of the guy that put us there.  

C'est le vie!

Im frustrated over the lack of positive direction in the standings, not one aspect of that result. 

7 minutes ago, Bill Neftleberg said:

except you ignore 26 more batters faced in only 4 innings. pro rata stats are less valuable when you ignore context

26 more hits and 2 more hrs allowed at home in 26 at bats

thats why context matters. you keep believing what you want though

remember he pitched 82 innings at home and 78 on the road thats 4 innings. and in those 4 innings he gave up 26 more hits and 2 more hrs

context matters

trying to avoid the short porch affected him

keep believing what you want though

your argument was that his era was high because of all of the HRs he allowed at home. numbers show that they were practically the same as on the road. 

ergo, your theory is wrong. 

Happ sucks .... especially at $17M/yr 

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Fair enough but he had zero room to spend the first three of those years and really the only guy worth losing sleep over last year was Corbin.  You can say he missed on value plays last year like Miley, and that too would be fair but outside of this year he's not really been in a position where he had the dollars to impact the rotation.   

Look, I’m not going to try to say “all he had to do was sign this guy, make this trade, etc, but it’s no secret this has been our most glaring hole for his whole tenure, and he has done nothing to make it even respectable.  It’s time for Eppler to do his job.

19 minutes ago, floplag said:

Its moot im over it, the time has passed... I hope Epp has something resembling a plan left. 

His plan appears to be to pivot from the best pitcher available to be best hitter available and at least two innings eaters.  Maybe he chases a guy like Walker or Wood, maybe he has an offer out to Ryu, but his plan seems to be what it is.

1 minute ago, mymerlincat said:

Look, I’m not going to try to say “all he had to do was sign this guy, make this trade, etc, but it’s no secret this has been our most glaring hole for his whole tenure, and he has done nothing to make it even respectable.  It’s time for Eppler to do his job.

Like I said, it's fair to take your position, what I'm saying is he really didn't have much room to do shit before this year.  Certainly he is in line for some criticism but I'd put more of it on Arte.  Forcing a guy to get it all done in one off-season is well... Dumb.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

your argument was that his era was high because of all if the HRs he allowed at home. numbers show that they were practically the same as on the road. 

ergo, your theory is wrong. 

Happ sucks .... especially at $home runs per atbet didnt tell the story17M/yr 

once again you ignore context it was because of the homers at yankee stadium he pitched differently at home , he said so himself. So you think you know more than he does.....thats good to know . you just proved how clueless you truly are

go look at the splits before you make claims you dont understand

im going on what he said. youre talking out of your rear end

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im frustrated over the lack of positive direction in the standings, not one aspect of that result. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/28336559/which-mlb-teams-gained-lost-most-wins-offseason

Added the most wins, and still fans are frustrated...   Again, it's asking a lot to fix everything in a single offseason.

37 minutes ago, floplag said:

Not when youre talking about a guy that would have been better than anyone we currently have not named Ohtani's potential.   Thats not relative.
No hes not winning any Cy Youngs... but 100% was a large upgrade. 
Its moot im over it, the time has passed... I hope Epp has something resembling a plan left. 

100% upgrade over who exactly? I’m genuinely curious how you think that’s true. To me, he’s just another depth guy, except he’s far more expensive than the rest. 

33 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Yeah how dare I expect our GM to build a pitching staff that doesn’t finish worst in the league within 5 years?

Last year was always a transition year after Ohtani’s TJ. Skaggs dying wasn’t exactly predictable. Harvey was a risk but him and Cahill falling off a cliff in ERA was not. 

If you’re blaming that all on Eppler, you’re nuts. Like IP pointed out, Corbin was the only miss last year and that wasn’t exactly his fault - he wanted to be back east. Sure, you can get upset that he wasn’t lucky with guys like Odorizzi or Lynn, but if it was that easy to pick out who was going to do well, everyone would do it. Other teams got lucky. Maybe we will with Bundy or Teheran. 

Also, Keuchel isn’t that good. He’s not. Seriously, go look at his stats. His glory days were several years ago. He’s a mid rotation guy. We have 4 of those already plus Ohtani. Is Keuchel better than the other four? I don’t know. Maybe? If so, not by much. He doesn’t make us a contender. A trade might. Ryu might. Passing on Keuchel made sense. 

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/28336559/which-mlb-teams-gained-lost-most-wins-offseason

Added the most wins, and still fans are frustrated...   Again, it's asking a lot to fix everything in a single offseason.

Just shows how shitty the pitching was last season. Even adding two inning eaters improves this team more than you’d think.