• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Any interest in Shun Yamaguchi for the backend of the rotation?

Chuck

sp-jball-a-20190706-870x656.jpg

It stands to reason that, at age 32, Yamaguchi would prefer to join a contender rather than sit through a rebuild. It could be that a rebuilding team is most willing to let him start, however. These teams strike me as possible fits for Yamaguchi. To be clear, this is my own speculation:

• Angels: There is a definite need for another starter, plus they're on the West Coast.
  • Athletics: The A's have rolled the dice on international players in the past (Yoenis Cespedes, most notably).
  • Diamondbacks: They're said to be in the market for Akiyama. Why not Yamaguchi too?
  • Giants: Great park, West Coast city, historic franchise. Trading one Giants for another could be appealing.
  • Mariners: Have a long and rich history with Japanese players, and there's a need in the rotation.
  • White Sox: They need another starter and are a team on a rise. Contention may not be far away.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-hot-stove-japanese-right-hander-shun-yamaguchi-will-be-posted-for-mlb-teams-this-offseason/

How good is he?

Yamaguchi, 32, spent the first six full seasons of his career as reliever (he often closed) before transitioning into the rotation in 2014. The stats are obviously very good, though the scouting reports indicate he does not project to be an impact starting pitcher in the big leagues. From veteran Japanese baseball reporter Jim Allen:

With the Giants, Yamaguchi's splitter has come into its own, and this season he not only executed it well but also incorporated it into his entire mix better so that batters were going after it out of the zone more than ever and coming up empty more. 

Although his fastball is not an out pitch for him, Yamaguchi's success with his splitter this season and to a lesser extent his slider is probably related to an uptick in four-seam fastball velocity. 

The improved splitter explains the strikeout rate increase this year. Yamaguchi's fastball averaged 90.2 mph in 2019, up from 89.6 mph in 2018, so he's not a hard-thrower. "MLB scouts I've spoken to see him as either a back-of-the-rotation starter or a bullpen guy, largely because he has not established his current level of success," Allen writes.

Yankees righty Masahiro Tanaka relies on his slider and splitter with his fastball used as a show-me pitch, similar to Yamaguchi, but Tanaka is two years younger and can still touch 94-95 mph when he reaches back. The best MLB comp for Yamaguchi might be Mike Fiers, a right-hander who lulls hitters to sleep with offspeed pitches and a 90-ish mph heater.

I've heard rumors, though unconfirmed, that part of the reason Ohtani chose the Angels was because of a lack of Japanese presence. It isn't too say Ohtani wanted the focus on him, but that he didn't want to take the focus away from any other Japanese players past or present.

I think the Angels may avoid bringing in any hyped Japanese personnel. They did sign Tazawa 2 years ago but he spent his time in AAA and the bullpen and was already winding down his career.

I'm not saying this is true, but I do openly wonder if Ohtani would prefer to be the only Japanese player on the team.

36 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I've heard rumors, though unconfirmed, that part of the reason Ohtani chose the Angels was because of a lack of Japanese presence. It isn't too say Ohtani wanted the focus on him, but that he didn't want to take the focus away from any other Japanese players past or present.

I think the Angels may avoid bringing in any hyped Japanese personnel. They did sign Tazawa 2 years ago but he spent his time in AAA and the bullpen and was already winding down his career.

I'm not saying this is true, but I do openly wonder if Ohtani would prefer to be the only Japanese player on the team.

I really doubt that. He's a pretty humble, unselfish dude. 

9 minutes ago, failos said:

racist.

You just ust shot yourself in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese baseball culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an a******. If you screw someone over in Japan by shitty restaurant choices, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to support the Angels, nor will they watch any games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but aznhockeyguy has alienated an entire market with his post. aznhockeyguy, publicly apologize and leave AW or you can kiss the Japanese market goodbye.