• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Eppler open to trading youngsters for pitching

jsnpritchett

He was top 25 in innings pitched last year and top 10 in K’s.  There is value in that.  Is that value worth Marsh, I don’t think so.  But as a guy that throws you some innings, yea, there is a bunch of value.  He’s averaged over 150 innings the last 3 years with a 4.7 ERA.  He went at least 6 innings in 21 of his 32 starts.  He gave up 3 earned runs or less in 21 of his starts last year.  But trash.  

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I see the value, but personally, his second half collapse scares me too much. As a third starter, I think I'd rather just spend on Hamels who had a similar second half collapse though his was due to injury. 

My only issue with that is the annual, “we gotta find a starter” bullshit that happens every year.  We’d have him for 3 years.  

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

My only issue with that is the annual, “we gotta find a starter” bullshit that happens every year.  We’d have him for 3 years.  

Indeed. But as Billy Eppler said, there really isn't such a thing as a bad one year deal (though) most of his one year deals and trades have been terrible). The difference here is that with Boyd, if it turns bad, it's bad for three years. For Cole Hamels, it's just one. Also, the Angels really could use some veteran leadership in the rotation and Hamels provides that. Not only that, but Hamels had the track record of success that Boyd doesn't.

Combine all that with my willingness to spend money before spending prospects and it makes more sense to go the Hamels route. And there's more freedom in the one year route too. If Sandoval, Barria or Suarez take big steps forward in their development, they can step right in after Hamels is out. But with three years of Boyd, it looks their ability to put those younger guys in the rotation in the event of a breakout.

I'm not thrilled about either option, but if I had to choose, Hamels seems like the safer bet.

39 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Indeed. But as Billy Eppler said, there really isn't such a thing as a bad one year deal (though) most of his one year deals and trades have been terrible). The difference here is that with Boyd, if it turns bad, it's bad for three years. For Cole Hamels, it's just one. Also, the Angels really could use some veteran leadership in the rotation and Hamels provides that. Not only that, but Hamels had the track record of success that Boyd doesn't.

Combine all that with my willingness to spend money before spending prospects and it makes more sense to go the Hamels route. And there's more freedom in the one year route too. If Sandoval, Barria or Suarez take big steps forward in their development, they can step right in after Hamels is out. But with three years of Boyd, it looks their ability to put those younger guys in the rotation in the event of a breakout.

I'm not thrilled about either option, but if I had to choose, Hamels seems like the safer bet.

I get it but we’re talking about 29 year old who has averaged 150 plus innings for 3 years and a 4.7 or so ERA. You are getting him to be your number 4 or 5.  If the cost is quantity over quality I’d do it.   I’d absolutely give up Thaiss who I’m higher on than most anyone other than you.  Obviously Ward, Hermosillo, Suarez  and Walsh/Rojas would all be expendable in my eyes

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Hey if you choose to troll you are welcoming someone to put you in your place.  If you choose to have a differing opinion but you engage in conversation, you’ll get respect and a discussion. 

I mentioned that we need four innings eater pitchers (not trolling) and he forgot to take his Xanax. Dude needs to chill out. It’s ok to disagree with opinions but to take the time to degrade people is not necessary. It’s really narcissistic. 

Edited by Calzone 2

By degrade you mean call a spade a spade, ok.  Look your constant narratives and derailing threads get you exactly what you seek, attention.  You just continue to run your agendas and since you’re a “nice guy” Chuck has a soft spot in his heart for you.  You do more to derail threads than anyone has ever in the 15 years of this site.  You don’t want to have discussions, you want to run your agendas and get attention.  So when multiple Respected people ask you for your thoughts on who they should bring in, we ALL knew you wouldn’t come up with a single one. 

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

By degrade you mean call a spade a spade, ok.  Look your constant narratives and derailing threads get you exactly what you seek, attention.  You just continue to run your agendas and since you’re a “nice guy” Chuck has a soft spot in his heart for you.  You do more to derail threads than anyone has ever in the 15 years of this site.  You don’t want to have discussions, you want to run your agendas and get attention.  So when multiple Respected people ask you for your thoughts on who they should bring in, we ALL knew you wouldn’t come up with a single one. 

So this was not appropriate? It was too offensive? 

910C1686-6C57-4A42-BF03-CFE979C8A5D4.jpeg

Just now, tdawg87 said:

How about we sign Teheran, trade for Robbie Ray, and then sign Cole.

I’d be happy with Teheran, Ray and Wheeler. I’d use the extra cash to get another bat. I really would consider trading Simmons for a pitcher who I believe has lost his mechanics in the batters box. Then sign LEFTY HITTING Didi Gregorious. 

Here comes the hate.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This wasn’t trolling?  

Somewhat factual to be honest. I mean, do you really believe that they will be playing their best baseball in a time frame that makes us contenders? We know Albert won’t but I’ve read numerous posts here referring to when Upton is coming off the books. He’s not even halfway through his contract. A contract that I thought was crazy to give him. 

So trade Simmons for a pitcher and replace him with a worse player at SS for the same amount of money?  Why not just sign a pitcher?  Sorry if you consider this hate because I asked you to defend your position.  DidI had more 70 less at bats and accumulated 1.5 less WAR.  So 20% less at bats and 30% of the WAR.  If we chose to trade Simmons I would just run with Rengifo and sign a guy like Moustakas for less money.  

1 minute ago, Calzone 2 said:

Somewhat factual to be honest. I mean, do you really believe that they will be playing their best baseball in a time frame that makes us contenders? We know Albert won’t but I’ve read numerous posts here referring to when Upton is coming off the books. He’s not even halfway through his contract. A contract that I thought was crazy to give him. 

Upton? Sure. Pujols? You already know the answer to that.

And any talk about Upton's contract coming off is based on the team having flexibility to sign long term contracts.

1 minute ago, Calzone 2 said:

Bullshit, it was trolling, and denying it is ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Upton? Sure. Pujols? You already know the answer to that.

And any talk about Upton's contract coming off is based on the team having flexibility to sign long term contracts.

Fair enough Tdawg. I still don’t think it was necessary to extend his deal. The way the market played out he would’ve been crazy to opt out. Let’s move forward.

Back to Teheran....I realize he's not ideal. Obviously I'd rather have Wheeler. But I just don't realistically see us signing 2 of the top 3 FA pitchers available when so many teams need pitching. 

Teheran is a consistent innings eater who would slot nicely in the 3rd spot in the rotation. And I don't think he's getting a big contract. I could see a deal like 3/39 or 3/45. Then trade for Ray, or sign Kyle Gibson before going into talks with Cole.