• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Eppler open to trading youngsters for pitching

jsnpritchett

5 hours ago, tchula said:

When Maddon was first hired he praised David Fletcher is being a future all-star (if I recall correctly).  Maybe they are planning to trade one of Fletcher, Rengifo, Thaiss, Biarra, or Suarez.  Considering Fletcher got GG glove consideration, they'd get the largest net return for him, but if we did that we'd better get a great prospect or quality MLB starter in return.  

Does anyone on here think we could get someone like Boyd for Thaiss, Rengifo, and Suarez?  

That is too much for Boyd. He’s not that good. 

Boyd's been below league average for his career and the rumored cost at the deadline scared teams off.  The tigers being willing to trade him makes me think they're trying to strike while the iron is hot.  He's been below league average for his career and you hope he pitches like a 3 but he's more likely to be a 4-5 type pitcher.  If the Angels acquired him they're still going to need two more SP's.  If they want to acquire young pitchers it's going to cost young ML or close to it talent I don't think that's anything ground breaking.  I just hope if they make a trade like that it's for a guy who can hopefully be one of the 2 pitchers most people have talked about them needing to acquire.  That way any third or fourth pitcher is a buy low guy you hope outperforms his contract, i.e. peanuts like last year you can cut if needed.  

5 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Boyd's been below league average for his career and the rumored cost at the deadline scared teams off.  The tigers being willing to trade him makes me think they're trying to strike while the iron is hot.  He's been below league average for his career and you hope he pitches like a 3 but he's more likely to be a 4-5 type pitcher.  If the Angels acquired him they're still going to need two more SP's.

There aren't many #4-5's dropping a K9 near 12, a +3 boost over prior year. Something clicked for him. Can he maintain? How far can it take him? TBD still, but there's potential there, and his floor is still valuable given how much the Angels have struggled for simple durability in their rotation...it all comes down to what we costs. 

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

There aren't many #4-5's dropping a K9 near 12, a +3 boost over prior year. Something clicked for him. Can he maintain? How far can it take him? TBD still, but there's potential there, and his floor is still valuable given how much the Angels have struggled for simple durability in their rotation...it all comes down to what we costs. 

Whatever clicked must have un-clicked when he had ERA's of 5.90, 4.70, 7.16 and 4.43 over the last 4 months of the season.  I'm sure there's some advanced metrics that say he could be better (like you can find for damn near every player) but he wouldn't be the first or last high K pitcher who didn't put it together.  Do I think that's a given?  Absolutely not but unless the cost comes down quite a bit from what they were asking at the deadline it's a risky move for a team that needs 2-3 starting pitchers because acquiring him means the rest is on FA.  He's pitched more than 180 innings in the majors once in his career.  Not sure if the lack of innings was because of poor production, innings management or injury but not sure you can count on him as being durable just yet.   

6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Cole and Boyd would be a worse off-season than Cole and Miley.

what? I'm almost certain Boyd will be better than Miley going forward. 

The only way I agree would be the fact that Boyd will cost prospects and Miley only money. 

I'd love to see, in chronological order...

• First move - a quick to sign, insurance FA vet SP on a one-year deal, who slots in #3-#5. Someone like Roark, Teheran, Wood, Nova, Smyly, Perez, Gio, Pineda, Porcello, Moore, Lindblom, and someone within the next couple of weeks before things heat up.
  • Second move - get the top arm. Get Cole or Strasburg, and I think we will. If both aren't options, Wheeler. 
  • Third move - small, inexpensive moves to shore up bullpen, catcher, bench depth - Starlin and Jason Castro, Adam Jones, Kendrick, Iglesias, Maybin, Betances, Harris, McHugh, Kintzler, Martin, Erlin, etc.
  • Last move - wait out the market on everyone else, either by trade (Boyd, Gray, Archer, Cubs SPs) or by FA (Ryu, Keuchel, Bumgarner, Hamels, Wacha, Hill, Gibson) all of whom I think could have things drag out. Then, jump on the best value you can get come late January/early February. 
    • Similarly, keep an eye on the guys like Grandal, Moustakas, Castellanos, Gregorius

17 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Of course it’s posturing. Everything anyone says is posturing. 

Eppler wants other GMs to realize how valuable his young players are. And he wants the free agents to realize that he doesn’t need them because he can make a trade. 

Eppler and Boras are using me to help them negotiate and I am using them to help get clicks for my stories. 

If only you could get Epller to be less Calvin Coolidge about his plan. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

what? I'm almost certain Boyd will be better than Miley going forward. 

The only way I agree would be the fact that Boyd will cost prospects and Miley only money. 

I'd love to see, in chronological order...

• First move - a quick to sign, insurance FA vet SP on a one-year deal, who slots in #3-#5. Someone like Roark, Teheran, Wood, Nova, Smyly, Perez, Gio, Pineda, Porcello, Moore, Lindblom, and someone within the next couple of weeks before things heat up.
  • Second move - get the top arm. Get Cole or Strasburg, and I think we will. If both aren't options, Wheeler. 
  • Third move - small, inexpensive moves to shore up bullpen, catcher, bench depth - Starlin and Jason Castro, Adam Jones, Kendrick, Iglesias, Maybin, Betances, Harris, McHugh, Kintzler, Martin, Erlin, etc.
  • Last move - wait out the market on everyone else, either by trade (Boyd, Gray, Archer, Cubs SPs) or by FA (Ryu, Keuchel, Bumgarner, Hamels, Wacha, Hill, Gibson) all of whom I think could have things drag out. Then, jump on the best value you can get come late January/early February. 
    • Similarly, keep an eye on the guys like Grandal, Moustakas, Castellanos, Gregorius

Maybe. But Miley has at least proven he can put up a #3 season. 

13 hours ago, Hubs said:

Rengifo and Barria for Boyd.

I wouldn't do Rengifo for Boyd straight up.   

Boyd is a career 5.00 Era guy who in a career type season posted a 4.56 ERA.  His career best FIP is last years 4.32, a season that saw him completely implode the second half, the K/9 stayed strong but everything else went boom.  His 2020 projection has him putting up numbers in line with his career trajectory.  As Fletcher said, he's just not that good.

Rengifo's upside and still 6 years of control outweighs whatever value is left in Boyds three years of control....   Now, if they'd consider LaStella and Barria, you listen.

13 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Boyd is an upgrade over Heaney. 

But yeah, still need 2 pitchers regardless. Cole and Boyd would be a worse off-season than Cole and Miley.

He has proven to be healthier, but otherwise they aren't all that different.   Check out their peripherals last year and you'll likely be surprised.