• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLBTR Offseason outlook

beatlesrule

I think Cozart gets released as he was a bust and isn't needed.

From the article:

"Let’s say the Angels do get Cole or Strasburg. Then what? Well, they’d still need at least one more quality veteran starter. Zack Wheeler, Madison Bumgarner, Hyun-Jin Ryu and Jake Odorizzi are the best of the rest, though each should command paydays of at least $50MM. In all likelihood, any of them would be too pricey for a team with Cole or Strasburg in tow.

I completely disagree with that sentence.

The only way we’re going to be able to ditch the Cozart money is by attaching a couple better prospects to him. An extra 12.6 would go a long way in helping us this offseason. 

That’s why I like the idea of trading for Darvish and Contreras. I also like Darvish though but I know some here don’t. I think we could potentially get the Cubs to eat the 12.6 since we’re taking Yu’s contract on. 

5 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

It depends what prospects would be attached to giving away Cozart and his contract. If he can't return and he decides to retire then I assume his contract is void right? Angels save the $12.76M?

Cozart isn’t walking away from 12.6 million. 

Just like Albert isn’t walking away from 30 million 

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

That’s why I like the idea of trading for Darvish and Contreras. I also like Darvish though but I know some here don’t. I think we could potentially get the Cubs to eat the 12.6 since we’re taking Yu’s contract on. 

This is about the only way you could realistically trade Cozart, I think. Maybe not specifically for Darvish, but as part of a very large deal involving multiple players and a lot of cash. A David Price deal could also make sense. Alex Cobb. Samardizija/Cueto. Arrieta. 

In that case, it's not unreasonable to think that instead of an acquiring team simply eating $10-$12m of a deal, they take a $10-$12m flyer on Cozart instead, not unlike recent trades with Matt Harrison, Hector Oliveira ($80m for 98 at-bats of sub .700 OPS ball, woof), etc. Olivera is proof positive that any contract can be movable under the right circumstances.

If an acquiring team is shedding tens upon tens of millions of dollars in a deal with the Angels, taking Cozart for a year and $12m might be acceptable instead of simply eating a portion of the money, especially if they have any need in the infield. The Cubs do fit that.

Edited by totdprods

7 hours ago, totdprods said:

This is about the only way you could realistically trade Cozart, I think. Maybe not specifically for Darvish, but as part of a very large deal involving multiple players and a lot of cash. A David Price deal could also make sense. Alex Cobb. Samardizija/Cueto. Arrieta. 

In that case, it's not unreasonable to think that instead of an acquiring team simply eating $10-$12m of a deal, they take a $10-$12m flyer on Cozart instead, not unlike recent trades with Matt Harrison, Hector Oliveira ($80m for 98 at-bats of sub .700 OPS ball, woof), etc. Olivera is proof positive that any contract can be movable under the right circumstances.

If an acquiring team is shedding tens upon tens of millions of dollars in a deal with the Angels, taking Cozart for a year and $12m might be acceptable instead of simply eating a portion of the money, especially if they have any need in the infield. The Cubs do fit that.

everytime a deal like that has been done that i can think of, the acquiring team just releases that player immediately.

cozart's done. i'm not mad about it, because i thought he'd give the angels some value at 3rd when they signed him. they were wrong, but i was too. oh well.

4 minutes ago, ukyah said:

everytime a deal like that has been done that i can think of, the acquiring team just releases that player immediately.

cozart's done. i'm not mad about it, because i thought he'd give the angels some value at 3rd when they signed him. they were wrong, but i was too. oh well.

Then perhaps the Cubs just release him. Either way, it’s not impossible he’s worked into a deal. But it’s extremely unlikely.