• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bold words from Eppler and Maddon

The day has finally come where Joe Maddon will be managing the Angels. One thing that really struck me were the words that Billy Eppler and even Joe Maddon had to say.

Billy Eppler: "We are thrilled that Joe is coming back home... We believe Joe will be a great asset for our Club and look forward to him leading the team to another World Series Championship."

Joe Mddon: "... I look forward to the opportunity to bring Angel fans their second championship."

I know, everyone says they will be winning and blah blah blah. But for a GM to say "World Series Championship", seems very bold. Specially in Maddon's three year contract. Either i'm thinking about those words too much, or Eppler and Arte are about to finally make serious changes to make us a monster of a team within these three years. 

Good things might finally be heading our way

35 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

True. 

They'll be bold if they sign Cole and another #2 guy like Wheeler, Ryu, Odorizzi to go along with Ohtani and gang, in addition to signing Grandal. 

I think they will be bold and can do it, but will they?

They can afford Cole/Wheeler but i don't think they can also afford a guy like Grandal. You think they can?

7 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

They can afford Cole/Wheeler but i don't think they can also afford a guy like Grandal. You think they can?

I hope. Man that would be a winning formula. That said, pitching pitching pitching. I'll take a lesser upgrade at C on the cheap if we can bolster the rotation. 

But man, Grandal would improve our lineup immensely. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I hope. Man that would be a winning formula. That said, pitching pitching pitching. I'll take a lesser upgrade at C on the cheap if we can bolster the rotation. 

But man, Grandal would improve our lineup immensely. 

With that said how about this.

Payroll raised to $185, release Bour, Tropeano, Garcia: Saves $6.3M (payroll sits at $141.7)

Gerrit Cole: $26M first year of $217M 7yr deal (backloaded)

Zack Wheeler: $15M first year of $85M 5yr deal (slightly backloaded)

Martin Maldonado: $2.3M

Total payroll for 2020: $185M

I know people won't like the addition of Maldonado cuz we need offense help. But hear me out... He caught Ohtani when he was pitching last year and he's been catching Gerrit Cole this year. He knows those guys and they pitched very well with him catching. Just teach Maldonado to bunt and we can put him at the 9 spot like a pitcher would be. 

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

I think this was a well thought out plan by our communications team to coordinate comments to the media of both Eppler and Maddon.

Wait...damn!  Shit! Never mind. Eric Kay is our Director of Communications.

Guess they are only empty words for now. 

Kay is on Administrative leave.

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

With that said how about this.

Payroll raised to $185, release Bour, Tropeano, Garcia: Saves $6.3M (payroll sits at $141.7)

Gerrit Cole: $26M first year of $217M 7yr deal (backloaded)

Zack Wheeler: $15M first year of $85M 5yr deal (slightly backloaded)

Martin Maldonado: $2.3M

Total payroll for 2020: $185M

I know people won't like the addition of Maldonado cuz we need offense help. But hear me out... He caught Ohtani when he was pitching last year and he's been catching Gerrit Cole this year. He knows those guys and they pitched very well with him catching. Just teach Maldonado to bunt and we can put him at the 9 spot like a pitcher would be. 

I'm down. Sign me up. Bit expensive for Wheeler for my tastes, but whatever, not my money.

Maldonado would be great - our offense should be good enough - barring any ridiculous injuries - to sustain with poor bats behind the plate. Grandal would be a tremendously expensive risk. d'Arnaud or Zunino (if non-tendered) are interesting options too, as would be Avila.

4 minutes ago, jordan said:

I will say this...with Eppler saying the words “World Series Championship” I gotta believe he’s ready to land some big names or go all in on some. Because there is no way you say that and bring in the 1 year experiments like last year. 

Does anyone know the dates for next year's WS?  I need to ask for those days off now.

You guys may recall that last year when Ausmus was introduced they said the exact same shit.  What were you guys expecting them to say ? “It’ll be slow grind but maybe in 5 years we’ll compete” 

it doesn’t mean anything,  none of this means anything.  We’ll see once the hot stove season starts.  The dollars spent on specific players will do all the talking. 

45 minutes ago, jordan said:

I will say this...with Eppler saying the words “World Series Championship” I gotta believe he’s ready to land some big names or go all in on some. Because there is no way you say that and bring in the 1 year experiments like last year. 

World Series Championship > Second  Wild  Card.

Now we’re talking!

What about Russ Martin as a partial solution as catcher. Platoon, regular for certain pitchers, even possibly depth at third/first? Also very experienced, poised and  a great team presence.

He still is a good athlete, has some pop, and is smart and experienced. Already in L.A. It wouldn't be a geographical move for him. I believe he was on a one year contract and is a free agent.

Obviously not a long term answer, but not bad for at least a one or two year addition.