• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

First Base?

TroutField

Is everyone content with 1st base being Thaiss/Pujols/Lastella? Pujols will get more DH at bats with Ohtani back on the mound next year.  I think if we could package Thaiss up with a low level prospect to get back a solid every day 1st baseman you would have to look at it. (Not sure who that would be, admittedly) I have doubts about Thaiss being more than a bench player/AAAA player. Thoughts? 

I get it’s not on the to do list but if the rotation, OF, bullpen, and catcher is all shored up 1st could be last thing to look at improving. 

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

Good call ... Pujols either scored or batted in approx 20% of total team runs. 

This is a cool and good stat.  Thanks ! The Angels should continue with this. 

Random dumb stats that don’t mean anything are very precious to me. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

We do have another prospect named Jared Walsh by the way. Also there is no reason a backup player like Tommy La Stella couldn't play there against RHP's for example. There are other free agent and trade targets too if we have the payroll bandwidth.

It is just another issue that is solvable but certainly on the backburner compared to the rotation and finding a good catcher or even a third baseman?

3 minutes ago, ettin said:

We do have another prospect named Jared Walsh by the way. Also there is no reason a backup player like Tommy La Stella couldn't play there against RHP's for example. There are other free agent and trade targets too if we have the payroll bandwidth.

It is just another issue that is solvable but certainly on the backburner compared to the rotation and finding a good catcher or even a third baseman?

La Stella is a possibility. If they sign Grandal, that’s another part timer. 

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Id like to see them make a run at Grandal and then give him 25-40 extra starts at 1st.

my first choice.  

I know people also give Thaiss a lot of crap because there were many time where he looked absolutely clueless at the plate.  I wouldn't expect this place to offer a ton of patience for a 24yo in his first major league experience.  

His overall numbers are more encouraging than people realize.  In 164 PA he had 8 hrs and 23 rbi which translates to 32 hrs and 92 rbi over an entire season (that's for you @Troll Daddy)

he had a 10.4% bb rate and a 31.7% k rate.  That k rate is too high of course but he was never anywhere near that in the minors.  Yet his walk rate seems sustainable relative to his minor league numbers and led to an obp about 80 points higher than his avg.  His ISO was similar to his previous two minor league seasons.  His BABIP of .264 was about 50 points lower than what we saw from him at the lower levels.  He also played solid above avg. 1b defense and was avg at 3b.  He's projectable to .240/.320/.460 for next year which would make him about league avg for a 1bman.  ie, a bit less than what Calhoun game this year.  Granted, sometimes guys don't adjust and maybe he won't, but he's earned enough from his first showing to deserve a shot at proving whether he can.  

As an aside, his offensive numbers were much better when he played first instead of third.  Maybe that's happenstance or maybe he's not as occupied with his defense.  

Free agent 1bmen are a horrible bet when you want one that could potentially produce as a top level guy.  

Also, the FA pool for 1b is pretty thin.  Howie is probably the best one available consider switching guys around.  

And of course Albert is going to be around.  If you rotate him through 1b/DH about half the games and use him as a PHer in situations where there are RISP then you can maximize he presence.  He was also very good vs. LHers this year so a true platoon wouldn't be terrible.  

a time share of sorts between RF, 3b, 2b, 1b, DH, and C with Albert, Ohtani, Thaiss, La Stella, Goodwin, Fletcher, Rengifo and hopefully someone like Grandal as well as another C.  

That's 9 guys for 6 positions leaving plenty of at bats for everyone and doesn't take into account injuries or days off for Upton, Trout, and Simmons.  

I could see some days where La Stella plays 1b or Fletcher plays a corner OF spot or Thaiss plays 3b etc.  

BTW, that group of players was good for a top 5 offense when they were healthy even without a guy like Grandal.  The offense, at full strength, when they decided to move on from Bourjos, Bour, and Cozart was excellent.   The only thing really missing is a solid bat at C.   And yes, it's not the Astros, Dogs, Yankess, but it's still very very good.  

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

As an aside, his offensive numbers were much better when he played first instead of third.  Maybe that's happenstance or maybe he's not as occupied with his defense.   

This made me check out his splits from last season...
image.png.633012b31f9ec3488b23cf8880f8b6e4.png

image.png.17bdceec850c16327e78a2215f8389f8.png

That home/away split is weird...his appearances are basically split down the middle he's numbers at home are explosive.

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Also, I forgot about Walsh who is probably an even better defensive 1bman than Thaiss.  I see a lot more adjustment needed at the plate for him to succeed at the major league level though.  

Yeah between Walsh and Thaiss I think we'll be fine at 1B. Throw in La Stella and we almost have too much depth at the position.

I agree with you that we need a significant upgrade at catcher so any shortcomings at the 1B position become an afterthought.