• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How many more starts does Harvey get?

Glen

Presumably at least as many as he is scheduled for between now and the deadline, which is one of the main reason i havent been in favor of the whole "wait and see" attitude.   It becomes self fulfilling.  We need pitching, well lets see where we are at the deadline, then we send out guys we shouldnt for too many games and were out of it.  But that seems the way of things, wait to make a decision till the decision is basically made for you. 

34 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Well no one's wants him at the trade deadline, and unless they promote Suarez to a permanent role, or acquire controllable pitching at the deadline, we have no replacement for him.

So pretty much Harvey gets the full year. Cahill too.

This is my thought.  If the team plays .500 ball the next ten days, he'll stay for sure.  It's becoming reality (it seems) that he'll not have the explosive fastball anymore, and if if wants to continue to play baseball, he'll have to start throwing more sinkers and become more of a ground ball pitcher. He's going to have to learn to pitch with different tools now, and he'll need time to do so. 

39 minutes ago, halomatt said:

This is my thought.  If the team plays .500 ball the next ten days, he'll stay for sure.  It's becoming reality (it seems) that he'll not have the explosive fastball anymore, and if if wants to continue to play baseball, he'll have to start throwing more sinkers and become more of a ground ball pitcher. He's going to have to learn to pitch with different tools now, and he'll need time to do so. 

500 ball for the next 10 days takes buying mostly off the table unless its with next year in mind.  We need to do better than that. 
Between now and the end of the month we 12 games, 10 of which are Sea, Bal, and Det, then 2 with the Dogs. 
We need 8 of those 12 in my opinion.   Win each series plus split with the dogs.   That would put us 6 over at 58-52 and possibly leap over Tex and Bos. 

9 hours ago, RBM said:

I think he will take his next turn on the bump and I hope he does well because I really don't know who we replace him with.

Barria would be the next in line I guess but he gave up 12 hits and 9 runs in 4.2 IP in his last start at SLC. Maybe spot start Cahill? He has looked better this month. He has a 3.52 ERA in 7.2 innings covering 4 relief appearances. Sandoval? Probably too early. Not any great options right now.

If we pick up a SP at the trade deadline they could/would slide into Harvey's slot.

I guess Barria's success against major league teams means nothing.  The guy had one bad 1.2 innings.   3 74 ERA in a season plus in the MLB. That includes the 1.2 innings were he gave up 7 runs.  Take that one game out and he has a 2.71 ERA this year!

But yes we should go with Harvey instead!

I think he has little confidence that he can nail the third strike and is afraid of issuing walks. So he over compensates and grooves pitches that are easily hittable. His stuff isn't good enough by itself, and he isn't fooling hitters.

93 hour fastball max can be ok if it has enough movement and is part of an effective mix of pitches/speeds and variations in locations. Right now his pitches are either too wild or too fat. Hitters are sitting back, waiting to hit his mistakes. 

Not sure how much better he can be. Lingering injury/incomplete recovery may be factors. Costing a lot of money, even if just for one year. Spot start him for a few weeks and hope for the best.  Then if he doesn't get better  bury him in the bullpen if no deal can be worked out. 

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

I guess Barria's success against major league teams means nothing.  The guy had one bad 1.2 innings.   3 74 ERA in a season plus in the MLB. That includes the 1.2 innings were he gave up 7 runs.  Take that one game out and he has a 2.71 ERA this year!

But yes we should go with Harvey instead!

The team would be much better off with Barria pitching than Harvey every five games.

1 hour ago, Drink More Yakult said:

Was he really that bad? Balll 4 to Brantley in the first should have been strike 3 inning over. Could he be better? Yeah, obviously. But this start against the Astros wasn't as bad as some of his previous ones. The game looks a lot different if we aren't chasing 5 after 2.5 innings.

It is impossible to sugar coat giving up 5 runs in 2.5 innings.  Not getting call on one pitch does not change the reality of Harvey's suckage.

7 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

The team would be much better off with Barria pitching than Harvey every five games.

I believe the team would be better off with Barria pitching over Suarez (although I think he is doing ok with hist first taste if experience and Pena)