• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thoughts on Thaiss?

Torridd

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

As the 16th pick in the first round of the 2016 draft ...  I expect big things from Matt Thaiss. This player is Eppler’s first pick of the draft as the Angels GM. 

Then you're expectations are unrealistic. The only picks you can reasonably "expect big things from" in a typical draft are the first half dozen or so, plus or minus a few depending upon the year. The talent is more even after that, with a gradual tapering off.

31 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Just about 12 months ago I began clamoring that we should trade Thaiss for a relief pitcher.  In response I was shit down by people saying it's stupid to trade a future middle order bat for a reliever.  Now people thinks he a AAAA guy.

Only like, Blarg thinks that.

He's had a very small sample size.

Thaiss has had all of 15 plate appearances. 15! Let's give him at least 50, if not 150, before saying he's not ready or a quad-A player.

By the way, here's a certain player's first 33 major league PA: .133/.212/.167. Now that player was 19 at the time and is obviously a completely different caliber of player, but the point is simply that you don't write anyone off after their first few times at plate.

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I was referring to the AAAA player part. Scotty has definitely been very high on Thaiss as you said.

@stormngt

With Thaiss, I'll put it like this. With how pretty his swing is, and how hard he hits the ball, and his use of the entire field and his pitch recognition, I cannot figure out for the life of me why his numbers in the minors aren't MUCH better. 

I truly believe that at some point, if given a full season (a big if) he will hit .280 and hit 40 doubles.

If he were simply a 1B, I think those chances would be less. He doesn't hit for enough power to justify playing full time with the depth they have on hand and the caliber hitters sitting on the waiver wire every winter. But now that he's shown he can play 3B....we'll see.

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

@stormngt

With Thaiss, I'll put it like this. With how pretty his swing is, and how hard he hits the ball, and his use of the entire field and his pitch recognition, I cannot figure out for the life of me why his numbers in the minors aren't MUCH better. 

I truly believe that at some point, if given a full season (a big if) he will hit .280 and hit 40 doubles.

If he were simply a 1B, I think those chances would be less. He doesn't hit for enough power to justify playing full time with the depth they have on hand and the caliber hitters sitting on the waiver wire every winter. But now that he's shown he can play 3B....we'll see.

Never doubted your opinion.   

Yeah. That'll become very typical for Thaiss. When he was first drafted, Thaiss REALLY struggled with the fastball on the inner half. He'd worked so hard on using the whole field that he became susceptible to baseball's most basic pitch. That and he concentrated so hard on contact that he never really unloaded on pitches. He never drove them with authority. 

The Angels worked with him on pulling the ball, being more aggressive on pitches and putting them in the air. The byproduct was a rise in K's, less walks but more HR's and lower batting average. Then this year, he just started putting it all together. He combined that patient approach with a swing that absolutely murders balls on the inner half. Pitches on the outer half he'll go with a shoot it into the gap. 

He isn't a finished product yet, balls knee high on the outer half have given him fits. Mostly he hasn't swung at them, but soon enough he'll make the adjustment. 

When Thaiss is at his best, you'll rarely see him working behind in the count. An ideal leadoff or #5 hitter. But that's down the road. He needs to build off today's success and get a rhythm.