• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Starting Pitching in 2020

Chuck

If our #3 starter is Canning and Skaggs and Heaney are our #4 & #5 respectively, with someone like Gerritt Cole at #1 (or a legit SP acquired via a trade) and Ohtani #2 I think we'll be in good shape.

Right now it's basically a rookie pitcher carrying this starting staff, while everyone else sucks. I mean Skaggs and Heaney have the potential to be good, but they just make poor decisions with pitch placement all too often, especially ahead in the count. 

Anyhow, the two lefties may thrive not being counted on as aces of the staff and actually improve mightily next season, but the guys Eppler has signed and our new pitching coach Doug White all have to go. 

Like go away now,. please.

Skaggs and Heaney were both screwed over my the Diving Judges these last 2 games.  However they tend to go deep into the count too often, which is their fatal flaw in my opinion.  I don't see that going away by making them the # 4 & 5 starters.

4 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Where does Suarez fit into this scenario?

Depth.

Also, he may beat out one of Heaney and Skaggs in ST for one of the 4th and 5th spots.

The Angels have some $$$ to spend this next offseason.

I'd like them to just do two things.

Sign or acquire a good hitting & defensive catcher, or at least an upgrade from Lucroy and then sign a frontline starter.

9 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I hope Ausmus realizes he is responsible for some of those bad choices.  He pulled Skaggs way to early the other night and brought in the single worst pitcher I could think of to get us out of a jam.   I believe in using data (if used correctly), and I buy into the "third time through the rotation" argument.  But with that said, Skaggs has pitched well for the most part the past three days and the way he's being handled hasn't worked.   For example, I know batters are hitting .320 the third time through the lineup, but that various between the bottom of the line-up and the top of the line-up.  Also, if you yank your starter with guys on, do you bring in a reliever who gets more ground-ball outs than fly-outs?  I sure hope to hell they look at these stats that much more closely than just "the third time through the order", because for the life of me I can't understand why you put Cahill in that type of situation. 

1 hour ago, tchula said:

I hope Ausmus realizes he is responsible for some of those bad choices.  He pulled Skaggs way to early the other night and brought in the single worst pitcher I could think of to get us out of a jam.   I believe in using data (if used correctly), and I buy into the "third time through the rotation" argument.  But with that said, Skaggs has pitched well for the most part the past three days and the way he's being handled hasn't worked.   For example, I know batters are hitting .320 the third time through the lineup, but that various between the bottom of the line-up and the top of the line-up.  Also, if you yank your starter with guys on, do you bring in a reliever who gets more ground-ball outs than fly-outs?  I sure hope to hell they look at these stats that much more closely than just "the third time through the order", because for the life of me I can't understand why you put Cahill in that type of situation. 

I think hes in a tight spot... many of these guys are coming back from injuries and hes trying to balance the load, but as was discussed a couple weeks ago it seems like Ausmus pulls guys too soon resulting in over working the pen.
I think hes over managing a bit in that regard.

Its time to move on from Skaggs and Heaney. I'm not a fan of Skaggs, I am one of Heaney's but they are what they are ...fringe 4-5 starters who run the pitch count up and melt. This is the offseason to make a big splash, the offense is there...its time to bring the pitching along. If I'm Arte and Eppler, I'm doing what it takes to secure Cole. If Ohtani returns to health next year, we're looking at Cole - Ohtani - Canning as the 1-2-3. Either dig into our depth for 4-5 or lock down a solid FA veteran who won't cost a lot. 

10 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Its time to move on from Skaggs and Heaney. I'm not a fan of Skaggs, I am one of Heaney's but they are what they are ...fringe 4-5 starters who run the pitch count up and melt. This is the offseason to make a big splash, the offense is there...its time to bring the pitching along. If I'm Arte and Eppler, I'm doing what it takes to secure Cole. If Ohtani returns to health next year, we're looking at Cole - Ohtani - Canning as the 1-2-3. Either dig into our depth for 4-5 or lock down a solid FA veteran who won't cost a lot. 

These kinds of posts frustrate me... i mean honestly move on to whom?  Dont you think if we had better options we would be using them?
there is no splash to be made, not on that scale, youre not replacing 2 or 3 guys... its nonsense, we dont have that kind of budget. 
Even Cole is likely a pipe dream unless he just wants to be here, we dont have the budget to get into a price war with Yanks and Dogs, and they will be involved.
These replace everyone posts are just not realistic of feasable in my view, we have too many holes to fill to jettison usable parts.

44 minutes ago, nando714 said:

The sooner we move on from Skaggs the better 

You realize Skaggs was far and away the best SP in the rotation in June, right?  Well, unless we count Barria's two starts.

June ERA

Skaggs  3.86, 25.2 innings (5 starts)
Heaney  5.68, 31.2 innings (6 starts)
Canning 4.60, 29.1 innings (5 starts)
Suarez  5.57, 21.0 innings (4 starts)
Pena - 7.91, 20.1 innings (5 starts)

On the season -- Canning's in front but Skaggs 4.29 is actually good for a 105 ERA+ meaning he's actually been above league average -- his FIP is far and away the best on the staff at 3.84.

For the life of me I don't get why when the subject of the rotation comes up people default to wanting Skaggs gone.   I get it, he hasn't lived up to your expectations but getting rid of him because he's not what you thought he would be is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Getting rid of Skaggs accomplishs nothing other than creating a need for another SP.

MY biggest beef with the rotation right now is the team's reluctance to use Barria instead of Pena.   Pena has to date shown himself capable of going 3 or 4 innings before absolutely imploding.  Barria's last two runs through the rotation have been quietly capable.    10 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 12 Ks.

Given how great a need there is for a multi inning RP, why not just move Pena there and let someone who could actually be a part of the future get a full time spot in the rotation?   I don't care what his numbers in SLC are, everyone is getting blasted up there -- they aren't indicative of what you would expect.

9 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

MY biggest beef with the rotation right now is the team's reluctance to use Barria instead of Pena.   Pena has to date shown himself capable of going 3 or 4 innings before absolutely imploding.  Barria's last two runs through the rotation have been quietly capable.    10 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 12 Ks.

Given how great a need there is for a multi inning RP, why not just move Pena there and let someone who could actually be a part of the future get a full time spot in the rotation?   I don't care what his numbers in SLC are, everyone is getting blasted up there -- they aren't indicative of what you would expect.

I'm good with Barria moving into the rotation and bumping Pena to the long man in the BP but, with Canning, Skaggs, and Heaney 1 - 3, we still need a 5th starter.

Just now, Jay said:

I don't see Skaggs/Heaney as #2/#3, more like 3/4 or 4/5

I think next season you have Ohtani as a #2, Skaggs as a #3, Canning as #4, and Heaney as a #5 with Barria and Suarez competing for #6 starter.

They could also go Ohtani, Skaggs, Canning, Heaney, Barria, and Suarez as the 1-6 but I think they will be looking for a more stable high-end starter going into 2020.

39 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

While i agree completely, how much of that is due to Barria simply having options Pena doesnt?   At least im assuming that to be the case as Barrias options have been the primary reason hes been jumbled to SLC and back so i assumed other guys who were performing worse didnt have those options?   Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong on that but any more im truly not sure who has options or doesnt at the rate weve rotated some of them. .