• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It’s all coming together

23 minutes ago, RBM said:

The Indians control Bauer for another year. They are legitimate playoff contenders and even the Division is not out of reach.

If the Indians are where they are now then Bauer will not be available at the deadline.

Interesting take... lets check the standings shall we...
Cle is 8 back of the division..... you know who else is, Us.  Yet we have NO shot and the season is over.  
I guess its somehow different for them. 

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Also, 0% chance Eppler mortgages the future just to play the WC game. 

If he buys, he either gives up guys who he doesn’t consider the future, or he is acquiring someone who he feels is part of that future. 

Come on people.

We know him well enough now to know this.

Literally no one has suggested this, not even once. 

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

Literally no one has suggested this, not even once. 

That’s why I didn’t quote anyone when I said it. Just a blanket statement that we shouldn’t sweat too much. If Eppler buys, it’d be worth the cost, I think he’s proven that much in the trades he’s made - and the trades he hasn’t made.

...I also wanted to say “come on people” without a comma to keep that going.

Edited by totdprods

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That’s why I didn’t quote anyone when I said it. Just a blanket statement that we shouldn’t sweat too much. If Eppler buys, it’d be worth the cost, I think he’s proven that much in the trades he’s made - and the trades he hasn’t made.

...I also wanted to say “come on people” without a comma to keep that going.

The problem with that is that losing anyone off the farm seems to be too much for most here.  I think most would rather just wait it out and let the season pass without making a deal that loses anyone they've actually heard of.

It's not as exciting, but it also won't cost as much, so I'm really warming to the idea of bundling a trio/quartet of redundant prospects (like one from each following grouping) and offering them to Miami for a SP prospect that is around the Suarez/Sandoval/Barria-tier, maybe a tinge better, and one of their many interesting relievers/multi-inning guys. 

•  Ward/Thaiss/Walsh/Rojas,
  • Jones/Rivas/Maitan,
  • Hermosillo/Lund/Hunter/Deveaux/Griffin,
  • Pina/Ortega/Molina/Hernandez/Brady

I trust Eppler's track record finding cheap arms - Bridwell, Ramirez, Ramirez, Cole, Bard, Pena, Buttrey, Sandoval, etc. etc. -  that he'd land us another quality controllable, MLB-ready #3-4 type and perhaps another potential controllable high-lev arm to go with Buttrey, Anderson, Middleton. 

From there, he'd have more than enough budget to still sign a frontline-ish SP this offseason, and a decent hitter to round out the infield depth he traded from. We'd also have enough young SP depth that we could turn around and be sellers from that pool a year or two later for hitting help.

Edited by totdprods

1 minute ago, floplag said:

The problem with that is that losing anyone off the farm seems to be too much for most here.  I think most would rather just wait it out and let the season pass without making a deal that loses anyone they've actually heard of.

You are reaching again and creating a narrative that doesn’t exist.  People are willing to trade prospects, but how many of them and for what is where opinions vary.  Bauer will cost at least Suarez, Marsh, Adams and someone else.  He will easily lost you 3 of our top 5 guys and at least one more person.  All for a guy that has already said he is only going to sign one year deals in free agency so he can capitalize on his good seasons and get paid what the going rate is.  In other words you have him at top dollar each year he decides to sign with you.  

Incoming Tangent Alert:

Who is going to be our 4th OF in 2020?

Assuming Kole departs, and Adell is our 3rd OF; do we open up a competition for 4th OF amongst the following:  Goodwin, Hermosillo, Ward, Walsh, Jones, etc.

Also, I think Thaiss should be platoon partners with Pujols in 2020 instead of a Bour.

Catcher?  Briceno?

Let's give our kids a chance, and spend money on the pitching staff.

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You are reaching again and creating a narrative that doesn’t exist.  People are willing to trade prospects, but how many of them and for what is where opinions vary.  Bauer will cost at least Suarez, Marsh, Adams and someone else.  He will easily lost you 3 of our top 5 guys and at least one more person.  All for a guy that has already said he is only going to sign one year deals in free agency so he can capitalize on his good seasons and get paid what the going rate is.  In other words you have him at top dollar each year he decides to sign with you.  

i dont think im creating anything im simply summarizing whats been said.
You want Stroman, hes going to cost you that as well so... who are we going to go get that doesnt cost about that that is a difference maker? 
I dont know if i would pay that much if that was the price anyway.
Plus did you think maybe he said that for leverage?  I think its possible. 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

i dont think im creating anything im simply summarizing whats been said.
You want Stroman, hes going to cost you that as well so... who are we going to go get that doesnt cost about that that is a difference maker? 
I dont know if i would pay that much if that was the price anyway.
Plus did you think maybe he said that for leverage?  I think its possible. 

He has been kind of an asshole his entire career, not that assholes don’t win, but it certainly could be a red flag.  As for Stroman, the cost won’t be as high because he isn’t as good, isn’t as consistent year in and year out, but he is still much better than what we have and would fit in nicely as our 2 or 3 next year with Ohtani returning and hopefully a great free agent signing this next off season.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

He has been kind of an asshole his entire career, not that assholes don’t win, but it certainly could be a red flag.  As for Stroman, the cost won’t be as high because he isn’t as good, isn’t as consistent year in and year out, but he is still much better than what we have and would fit in nicely as our 2 or 3 next year with Ohtani returning and hopefully a great free agent signing this next off season.  

I dont care about personality to be honest, i like guys with that kind of fire and confidence, but thats just me. 
I think you are overlooking that Stroman is nearly as good now at half the cost, but who knows. 
Well see in time, its all speculation at this point.  

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And my answer to why Cleveland might not take being 8 games out as being out of it compared to the Angels being 8 games out and being out of it is they are chasing the Twins and the Angels are chasing the Astros, who have a dominant team when healthy, maybe the best team in baseball.

The Twins have been to date the best team in the AL this season, they have the highest differential in the league, assuming they are catch-able while Hou isnt seem a bit of a reach to me as justification.

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

The Twins have been to date the best team in the AL this season, they have the highest differential in the league, assuming they are catch-able while Hou isnt seem a bit of a reach to me as justification.

Ok, who would you rather face in the playoffs?  Who would you feel more confident against?  Don’t cop out and say you don’t care you just want to play against them.  Which team would you feel more confident against?

The Twins are 4-3 vs the Astros this year.  I don't think they get nearly the respect they deserve.  We all know the Astros better because we've seen them more, but the Twins are a very capable team.  They have the highest team OPS in baseball.  Their pitching is pretty good too.

This is baseball.  Funny things happen.  It is not our of realm of possibility that the Astros could fall back to the pack.

6 hours ago, floplag said:

Some guys have developed faster than any of us expected them too and we are already seeing their impact.  That has lessened that need significantly. 

Good lord....  Look, it's okay, you can admit it -- YOU didn't see this coming, but please don't act like others didn't.

People tried telling you over and over and over again during the off-season that many of these guys were close and would make an impact this year.  Your response almost always was to talk about how there were "no guarantees with the farm system" and how it would require HUGE jumps in performance for them to really make a difference.   

So no, not everyone was totally surprised by these guys doing what they have.   Maybe next time you'll actually consider what others are saying instead of simply "keeping your own council".

Edited by Inside Pitch

1 hour ago, Mark68 said:

The Indians' willingness to trade Bauer will be directly proportional to their comfort level with Mike Clevinger's (remember him?) health. If Clevinger comes back and pitches like, well, Mike Clevinger, it makes Bauer more expendable to them. 

Clevinger is on my fantasy team, so odds of him staying off the IL are very low.

56 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, who would you rather face in the playoffs?  Who would you feel more confident against?  Don’t cop out and say you don’t care you just want to play against them.  Which team would you feel more confident against?

Obviously i woule rather face Min over Hou, but that doesnt change the math involved.

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Good lord....  Look, it's okay, you can admit it -- YOU didn't see this coming, but please don't act like others didn't.

People tried telling you over and over and over again during the off-season that many of these guys were close and would make an impact this year.  Your response almost always was to talk about how there were "no guarantees with the farm system" and how it would require HUGE jumps in performance for them to really make a difference.   

So no, not everyone was totally is surprised by these guys doing what they have.   Maybe next time you'll actually consider what others are saying instead of simply "keeping your own council".

Some of you are truly spiteful people i guess... even when i admit something you still feel the need to bring up shit like this?  
whatever dude but we both know not even you expected them here this quickly so... have your moment, pat yourself on the back if it makes you feel better

54 minutes ago, RBM said:

Here is what I actually said on the "Path to the Wild Card" thread last night. I said the opposite of "we have NO shot" so I don't appreciate you quoting me with false sentiments. If you quote someone get it right.

Sure, the Wild Card is still in play,  but the Angels are now only 8 games behind Houston in the AL West.

The Angels play Houston 17 more times so they control their own destiny to a degree and have a shot at winning the division. Today they passed the Astros for runs scored this season - 419/5.1per game to 412/5.0 per game. So the offense shouldn't be the problem.

This team will go as far as their starting pitching takes them. The Astros are giving up almost a run less per game than the Angels - 4.08 versus 4.91. The good news is Harvey (7.50 ERA), Stratton (8.59), Allen (6.26) and Cahill (6.94) are responsible for 33% of the runs we've given up - 131 of the 403. The pitching staff, as currently structured, is in a much better position for success.

The team is in a good place right now and I think they will continue to improve.

Yep, take away Harvey/Stratton/Allen/Cahill's ERA's, and the Halos ERA isn't much different from the Astros, maybe .1 difference?

50 minutes ago, RBM said:

Here is what I actually said on the "Path to the Wild Card" thread last night. I said the opposite of "we have NO shot" so I don't appreciate you quoting me with false sentiments. If you quote someone get it right.

Sure, the Wild Card is still in play,  but the Angels are now only 8 games behind Houston in the AL West.

The Angels play Houston 17 more times so they control their own destiny to a degree and have a shot at winning the division. Today they passed the Astros for runs scored this season - 419/5.1per game to 412/5.0 per game. So the offense shouldn't be the problem.

This team will go as far as their starting pitching takes them. The Astros are giving up almost a run less per game than the Angels - 4.08 versus 4.91. The good news is Harvey (7.50 ERA), Stratton (8.59), Allen (6.26) and Cahill (6.94) are responsible for 33% of the runs we've given up - 131 of the 403. The pitching staff, as currently structured, is in a much better position for success.

The team is in a good place right now and I think they will continue to improve.

What you siad in this thread is that they are legit contender and the division isnt out of reach, thats what i quoted.   You may not have speciifcally said were out of it, others have, sorry if i used your post to make that point,.