• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It’s all coming together

1 hour ago, floplag said:

none of that justifies not making an effort for this season in my view.  This is what i was complaining about all off season. this is nearly exactly what i anticipated, and everyone told me i was a jackass for it but here we are, well see in the next few weeks i guess.

With things finally going the Angels way with health and production on the field, there is no way Eppler is just going to piss away this season.  That isn't an excuse for any bad trades though.  He needs to stay smart which I think he will.

4 minutes ago, RBM said:

These next three weeks are going to be a lot of fun. 

The Angels next 20 games are all versus AL West opponents and will shape the season. This will take them to within 10 days of the trade deadline.

So by July 21 the Angels will know how to proceed. Are they pretenders or contenders? Buyers or sellers? 

And if they are buyers I think Eppler will go out and make this team better for the stretch run.

Without the August waiver trades an option this year, I could see Eppler being a little more aggressive too. 

I'm gonna guess the Angels are gonna be buyers, are going to make a significant move, and are going to be aggressive in FA too. I think it's time to strike. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

none of that justifies not making an effort for this season in my view.  This is what i was complaining about all off season. this is nearly exactly what i anticipated, and everyone told me i was a jackass for it but here we are, well see in the next few weeks i guess.

Didn’t you think the pitching was fine and that we needed more offense?

and a big part of why the team is on the upswing is playing the young guys

what move changes this teams fate? 

We’re in the spot we are because of the moves that were made and not in spite of them.  Revising the offsean likely changes what happens with la Stella, rengifo, fletcher, Goodwin, canning, Suarez, and a couple others. Cherry picking the exact 1 or 2 additional moves that would make us better in addition to what was done is unrealistic. 

24 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

With things finally going the Angels way with health and production on the field, there is no way Eppler is just going to piss away this season.  That isn't an excuse for any bad trades though.  He needs to stay smart which I think he will.

My fear is that he will do nothing, which to me is basically the same thing as pissing it away.   
Im exaggerating of course but imagine this team right now with a Buaer at the front of the rotation for example?  Thats a far better team than it is today with only a single addition.  Yes we lose some farm hands, probably one or two we might not want to, but Bauer isnt a rental either so... you have to balance that. 
Then you go possibly sign a Cole in the off season for example and whammo, there you go, sell the playoff tickets. 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

My fear is that he will do nothing, which to me is basically the same thing as pissing it away.   
Im exaggerating of course but imagine this team right now with a Buaer at the front of the rotation for example?  Thats a far better team than it is today with only a single addition.  Yes we lose some farm hands, probably one or two we might not want to, but Bauer isnt a rental either so... you have to balance that. 
Then you go possibly sign a Cole in the off season for example and whammo, there you go, sell the playoff tickets. 

How is mortgaging the future on a 50/50 shot at a 1 game playoff the right move? 

We aren't catching Houston. Every trade needs to be viewed with that in mind. If there is a move that Eppler feels is fair, he will make it, but it will be made with future seasons in mind and not this one primarily.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Didn’t you think the pitching was fine and that we needed more offense?

and a big part of why the team is on the upswing is playing the young guys

what move changes this teams fate? 

We’re in the spot we are because of the moves that were made and not in spite of them.  Revising the offsean likely changes what happens with la Stella, rengifo, fletcher, Goodwin, canning, Suarez, and a couple others. Cherry picking the exact 1 or 2 additional moves that would make us better in addition to what was done is unrealistic. 

I still do at certain spots, that hasnt changed, but right now with this roster the need of a front line starter is higher.   
I had hopes that Cahill and Harvey would bring the gap for us, obviously they have not. 
Some guys have developed faster than any of us expected them too and we are already seeing their impact.  That has lessened that need significantly. 
We still have no long term answer at C but we have enough elsewhere that it isnt as critical in the now and can be dealt with in the off season.
Based on that my view has adjusted. 

As to what changes our fate,  i think there are many who could.  The better question is which one if any are realistic.  Bauer certainly changes it, but would we pay that price?   I kinda doubt we are willing to pay for anyone i might suggest to be honest.  Stroman, Byrd, etc... all the rumors suggest very high price tags, and rightfully so.  I have no interest in a rental.  

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

I agree, assuming teams are going to move actual difference making rotation pieces.  I wouldn’t overpay to get Boyd or Stroman, but I would definitely be interested in Stroman for the right price.  We are both on the same page in that neither of us want rentals.  If MadBum costs Marsh then I don’t want MadBum, not unless we are looking at being in line for the division by the time the trade deadline happens. This past off season there really were only a couple of good rotation arms available, not that you wanted any of those, but to spend what it would have taken to get Corbin (the only front of the rotation guy available) would have really crippled the team going forward if he regressed.  He is having a good but not great year, although he would be by far our best starter.  

3 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

How is mortgaging the future on a 50/50 shot at a 1 game playoff the right move? 

We aren't catching Houston. Every trade needs to be viewed with that in mind. If there is a move that Eppler feels is fair, he will make it, but it will be made with future seasons in mind and not this one primarily.

Why is it that whenever anyone suggests making a trade this argument comes out?  Ive said many times i have no interest in a rental designed for that... can we please not go there every damned time? 
Also can we please stop with the "were not catching "Hou"  nonsense?  Thats not what were talking about either.  Both are BS arguments.  It isnt about the extremes. 
its about making a logical attempt to give this team a chance both this year and beyond.. ive clearly stated that in every post.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I agree, assuming teams are going to move actual difference making rotation pieces.  I wouldn’t overpay to get Boyd or Stroman, but I would definitely be interested in Stroman for the right price.  We are both on the same page in that neither of us want rentals.  If MadBum costs Marsh then I don’t want MadBum, not unless we are looking at being in line for the division by the time the trade deadline happens. This past off season there really were only a couple of good rotation arms available, not that you wanted any of those, but to spend what it would have taken to get Corbin (the only front of the rotation guy available) would have really crippled the team going forward if he regressed.  He is having a good but not great year, although he would be by far our best starter.  

As I recall i dont think any of us wanted most of those guys for what they eventually got paid.   You are correct though I really didnt like any of the SP options, admittedly, i thought most were overrated or significantly over payed.  I still dont look back at it and think we really missed out on something there. 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Why is it that whenever anyone suggests making a trade this argument comes out?  Ive said many times i have no interest in a rental designed for that... can we please not go there every damned time? 
Also can we please stop with the "were not catching "Hou"  nonsense?  Thats not what were talking about either.  Both are BS arguments.  It isnt about the extremes. 
its about making a logical attempt to give this team a chance both this year and beyond.. ive clearly stated that in every post.  

LOL - how is the fact that we aren't winning the division a "BS argument"?

That matters a great deal in any move we will be making. If we had a reasonable shot at the division, everyone here would be much more willing to make a big trade that helps this year. Since we don't, it's probably best to only make a move if you can fleece someone and just wait until the offseason. It's unlikely you're going to get a player like Bauer for a reasonable deal during the season.

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

LOL - how is the fact that we aren't winning the division a "BS argument"?

That matters a great deal in any move we will be making. If we had a reasonable shot at the division, everyone here would be much more willing to make a big trade that helps this year. Since we don't, it's probably best to only make a move if you can fleece someone and just wait until the offseason. It's unlikely you're going to get a player like Bauer for a reasonable deal during the season.

Its BS because i never suggested we would.   You're using that to poo poo something that it has nothing to do with. 
We have a very good shot at the WC.  I look at the team ahead of us right now and i think were better in most ways.
Unlike most i think making the playoffs in ANY form is better them missing them or not trying at all.

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Its BS because i never suggested we would.   You're using that to poo poo something that it has nothing to do with. 
We have a very good shot at the WC.  I look at the team ahead of us right now and i think were better in most ways.
Unlike most i think making the playoffs in ANY form is better them missing them or not trying at all.

I am not at all worried about Texas or Oakland, unfortunately then we have to deal with the Rays or Indians.  I am not sure we are clearly better than both of those teams.  

Reasons why I think Eppler will buy:

• 1) wealth of MLB-ready prospects without enough space on the 40 or playing time ahead of them
  • 2) so many prospects are at max value right now - Walsh, Rojas, possibly Jones, Barria, almost all the A/A+ ball arms, multiple hitters at Orem/Burlington 
  • 3) we have the payroll to supplement  in the offseason and the core is young and producing now, and under  control for awhile 
  • 4) The offense is too good this year, and the pitching isn’t as bad as this. It should trend up. It’d be a boost and a momentum-builder. 
  • 5) it’d be good to strike now in the event it causes other middling AL West teams shift strategy - Oakland, Seattle, Texas could all step back a bit if the Angels make a big move and set sights further down the line. This applies to the Angels too. Simmons and Skaggs have one year left - making a move now helps determine what to do with them next year

Just now, Stradling said:

I am not at all worried about Texas or Oakland, unfortunately then we have to deal with the Rays or Indians.  I am not sure we are clearly better than both of those teams.  

Perhaps, but the point is that i think we could be with the right move.  I'm really hoping Cle follows this "well were not winning the division so who cares" thing and makes Bauer available, hes 100% my target.  but... it wouldnt be cheap so, might be out of reach.  Hes about the only guy i would be willing to overpay for a little. 

2 hours ago, Dick Enberg said:
He roller coaster
He got early warning
He got muddy water
He one Mojo filter
He say one and one and one is three
Got to be good looking
'Cause he's so hard to see
Come together right now
Over me
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah

13 minutes ago, RBM said:

Why would the Indians trade Bauer right now?

If they dont think hes going to stay
If they subscribe to the "were not winning the division so who care" thing
Finacial concerns

There are a number of possibilities... which could all be bullshit wishful thinking on my part but we all know they have been trying to deal one of him or Kluber since the off season.

They probably wont, but IF they do hes my target, thats all. 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

The price will be high for Bauer.

The price is going to be high on ANY difference maker.   I think Bauer may cost less in trade since he will cost more in money than lets say Stroman or Boyd.  Again could be wishful thinking, lol 

With the Indians overall playing pretty poorly on the year, a team getting older, a lot of their pitching hurt this year, Bauer likely testing FA, Lindor definitely testing FA...given their payroll limitations and thin farm, they really should sell. Get MLB-ready guys, maybe sort of like Dipoto’s recent plan, and gear up for competing again as soon in 2021, and use 2020 to road test the young guys they do have and might acquire. It could help then determine what to do about Lindor too. Deal him ASAP for max value, or free up money and a good farm to lure him into staying, not too unlike what we were going through with Trout.

Detroit has the pitching to be very good, very quick, and Chicago could come along quickly as well. Cleveland’s window might have been 2019-2020 and it isn’t looking great for them right now.

Edited by totdprods

Also, 0% chance Eppler mortgages the future just to play the WC game. 

If he buys, he either gives up guys who he doesn’t consider the future, or he is acquiring someone who he feels is part of that future. 

Come on people.

We know him well enough now to know this.

Edited by totdprods

The Indians' willingness to trade Bauer will be directly proportional to their comfort level with Mike Clevinger's (remember him?) health. If Clevinger comes back and pitches like, well, Mike Clevinger, it makes Bauer more expendable to them.