• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Harvey suffers a setback

mmc

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/matt-harvey-suffers-setback.html

Angels righty Matt Harvey has suffered a setback that will delay his return to the majors, skipper Brad Ausmus told reporters including Maria Torres of the Los Angeles Times (Twitter link). Harvey has been on the injured list for just over two weeks.

It had been hoped that Harvey would get a breather, let the back issue heal up, and return to the majors after a limited rehab assignment. But his first (and thus far only) rehab stint did not go as planned.

Harvey took the mound for Triple-A Salt Lake City on Saturday, lasting only 2 2/3 innings before he was pulled. Before departing, he was tagged for eight earned runs on eight hits and two walks.

That’s obviously not the kind of showing he and the team were hoping for. Today’s news adds injury to insult.

When Harvey hit the IL, he was toting a 7.50 ERA in ten starts. Indeed, it seemed possible that the brutal results were as much a cause for the placement as the injury. (Harvey said he hadn’t experienced any symptoms since the IL placement.)

It isn’t clear just yet what the next steps are for Harvey. Ausmus acknowledged some concern in the veteran hurler. The Halos are now without both Harvey and fellow free agent signee Trevor Cahill, who’s dealing with a similarly nebulous blend of injury (elbow soreness) and performance issues.

9 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

It isn’t clear just yet what the next steps are for Harvey. Ausmus acknowledged some concern in the veteran hurler. The Halos are now without both Harvey and fellow free agent signee Trevor Cahill, who’s dealing with a similarly nebulous blend of injury (elbow soreness) and performance issues

Uh Oh, I think they might be on to us.........

They took a shot on a lottery ticket with Harvey and failed. If he came close to his numbers with the Reds would have been nice.

The unfortunate part is they banked on a couple of lottery tickets with their rotation this year and none of them are panning out.

Until Eppler and co. get serious about building a solid starting rotation this team isn't going to go far.

12 minutes ago, red321 said:

They took a shot on a lottery ticket with Harvey and failed. If he came close to his numbers with the Reds would have been nice.

The unfortunate part is they banked on a couple of lottery tickets with their rotation this year and none of them are panning out.

Until Eppler and co. get serious about building a solid starting rotation this team isn't going to go far.

True Red! I was hopeful that Harvey could build off what he did with the REDS last year. 

I find it interesting that Harvey, Cahill and Allen our three  prized FA's pitchers who were suppose to get some help from our new Pitching Coach Guru in Doug White who could work wonders with a pitching staff.  I haven't really seen anything from anyone beyond their career #'s... Except each of those 3 have been worse than when they got here.

20 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Keep on drafting or signing Cannings and Suarezes, and they will then no longer have to rely mainly on retreads from elsewhere.

That takes 3-4-5 years (not including any injury stints where they shut them down) though with the Angels tier system of steps for young players not named TROUT and even then he spent time at each stop....

Where is the GURU and all of his inside pitching INFO!!!..... Why hasn't he been able to fix these guys or work with their mechanics?.... 

1. changing of mechanics my arse.... Have you seen Harvey over throw his fastball slot drop and the ball float back into the zone?

2. Cahill never mind. He should have never been signed his #'s are inflated in the AL due to his starts in OAKLAND wide foul territory and the NL.

https://thesportsdaily.com/2018/10/31/an-inside-pitch-on-doug-white-a1w1/      ---- I have coached High School for a few years and have been a part of a CIF Championship team.   We didn't have any arm injuries either.  High school kids get in trouble when they are over worked with no breaks between HIGH SCHOOL & TRAVEL or SCOUT BALL, or taught pitches that they can't physically throw correctly and then they adjust their own mechanics to make a pitch do something. I've coached little league District 30 Runner up, Travel Baseball #4 team in the Nation and CA State champions, CIF Champion, College League Pitching coach 2nd place. ZERO ARM injuries in 22 years coaching. If anyone feels tired they don't throw. Communication is KEY and having the RAPPORT with your players to be honest! It's a game take a break get em in a tomorrow, next week or work out bike, tread mill, elliptical, jog, bands, stem and ice. I even spent time working the mental side of the game.... We would hangout and game plan vs our own team and how they would pitch to them. I would then forward the pitch spot selection and my coach would throw it there..... I called it shadow pitching! They had to break down hitters stances, foot placement in the box, hand placement and stance! AND WORK TO GET THEIR OWN PLAYERS OUT without throwing a pitch in BP.. If they're were successful then I took a mile off their conditioning.... I explained to our lower level coaches that they should only throw 2 seam, 4 seam and change ups through out pre-season and non-league games. It was about spots and eye level..WE ALWAYS PITCHED INSIDE ALSO even if the kid didn't break 70mph!!!!..We would work breaking stuff in bullpens during the week and other exercises I knew to help with spin. My catchers called their own games as I would sit with them and they knew what I wanted. In a few pressure situations I would make a call but I had an audible that they knew what to do.

Never was a secret sauce! Bands (which we used in college nothing new to see here), long toss, flat ground, break down of mechanics each step. Same since I was in college. I've had almost all pitch in JUCO and 4 year Colleges and 4 drafted. 

24 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

His injury is a result of Whiplash brought on by opponents hitting home runs.

I gave up a BOMB to future AL ROOKIE of the YEAR Bobby Hamlin that is still circling the earth!!!!.....   I showed up at the field the next day with a neck brace on! Coaching staff loved it! and it showed the kids it's ok! Go get em the next day.... that's why an OLD dude like myself at the time was brought on to keep the kids loose!

BTW, I struck him out with the bases loaded the next day to end the game.