• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This pitching staff

I guess it's 2021 now, when the next good period in Halos baseball history will begin.

It will take until then for Ohtani, Canning, and Suarez to get to where they can pitch at least 170 innings in a season and join Heaney.    Hopefully, they acquire another young pitcher later on this year or in the off-season to join those four and probably also Sandoval in a solid rotation. 

2 minutes ago, eligrba said:

This pitching staff clearly demonstrates the physics for how spin rates can result in launch angles and exit velocities.

I'm an old school baseball fan and I don't really know or follow the sabermetrics of spin rates, launch angles, and exit velocities.

All I know is this staff is handing out home run souvenirs at a near record pace.  There should be warning signs out there

On 6/10/2019 at 12:57 PM, PattyD22 said:

I'm an old school baseball fan and I don't really know or follow the sabermetrics of spin rates, launch angles, and exit velocities.

All I know is this staff is handing out home run souvenirs at a near record pace.  There should be warning signs out there

We should net the entire field to protect the fans!!! Someone might take one of those rockets in the DOME!

Somewhere, Chris Knapp, Dave Lemanczyk and Steve Renko are laughing their asses off....

We have had some Dog Shit pitchers through the years even dudes who only lasted 8 starts before their arms fell off that had better ERA's than some of these guys including Skaggs. And they only gave up 2-4 Home Runs in 8 starts! Ed Halicki, Doug Rau etc. Both of those guys had ERA's around low 5's....

Ken Forsch gave up 25 home Runs in 1982 sure he pitched 228 innings but he only had a 3.87 ERA.

The problem is they are throwing too many pitches, and falling behind in the count. They are playing with breaking balls early in the count and then throwing 2 fastballs up or way out to get them to chase! Then the 6th pitch is a breaking ball out of the zone so now you have a 50/50 chance of getting strike 3 or having the ball put into play, or walking the hitter!

IT's the pitching philosophy~    We used to call it pitching scared! Or, worried about the perfect pitch!

You can even work backwards if you can throw your break stuff for a strike. They are trying to be too perfect with the first pitch breaking ball instead of a get me over or something with less spin which will end up in the strike zone instead of the dirt!     SPIN RATE this is an over analyzation of a stat!

16 hours ago, Tank said:

Have you forgotten about some of those 70s teams? Yikes.

From 1971-1977, it was mainly the very offensive to Halos fans offense.   The starting pitching at least had Messersmith, Wright, and May at varying times from 1971-1973, and Ryan and Tanana after that.   The problem was piss poor relief pitching, along with the very offensive to us offense.

Don't forget that a mid 1970s Halos team hit a whopping 55 HRs as a team, and the fable was that they couldn't break glass in a hotel lobby.